72 Mack R Blinker Problem

My 1972 R Model dump blinker's will work and the hazard's come on, they just stay lit and don't flash. Does anyone know what controls the blinker and hazard's to flash?

Bad flasher. Its a little round metal can looking thing that is usually near the fuse center and/or relays. It has just two pins and uses a heater and bi metallic strip to open and close a switch which flashes the lights.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Might try a cheap flasher first.

They do go bad!

Pull one out, push the new one in, and see if they work.

There are two types.

1)The bi-metal type

(VERY cheap, $2-3.00 last time I bought one)

2)Mechanical type.

(Better, last longer, but more bucks - - - $25-30.00)

Both are plug in, so the cheap one is the best for trouble-shooting.

Once you put in in, just leave it.

If it works, life is good.

If not, use the old one for a spare and start looking deeper.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Yup, the three prong style which is the heavy duty variant. The two prong style is usually reserved for lesser current draw of automobiles. This is in years gone past of course.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yeah i wasn't sure if it would have the same setup like some cars do or not. I will give it a look tomorrow and hopefully find it. I'm guessing these are the same one's you can find at a auto parts store?

Usually they are. Try to get one with a metal can as it radiates the heat away better than the plastic encased ones. This yields a longer service life.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You might be surprized to find the indactor lamps in the dash to be the problem, 4 ways will work but sign. will flash and stay on. james

A 1972 R model doesn't have indicator lights on the dashboard for turn signals.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

A 1972 R model doesn't have indicator lights on the dashboard for turn signals.

Yes, most used a "'Signal-Stat" 500, or 900 series column mounted switch with two green indicators for the turn signals, and a red indicator for the hazzard flashers. All functions utilized the same bulb in the switch.

Rob

Yes, most used a "'Signal-Stat" 500, or 900 series column mounted switch with two green indicators for the turn signals, and a red indicator for the hazzard flashers. All functions utilized the same bulb in the switch.

Rob

Yep, mine is the 900 series, the flasher was under the dash to the left. It's a two prong style and the problem was only a dirty connection. Works great now after a bit of cleaning!

You might be surprized to find the indactor lamps in the dash to be the problem, 4 ways will work but sign. will flash and stay on. james

What year did they change to 'new'(late) dash style? I was still swimming back then. SO... ya maybe im wrong! james

they changed the dash in late 73 for the 74 models my dads friends had 2 73 models one with the steel dash one with the plastic dash a friend of ours still has the one with the plastic dash. joe

The plastic dash started in 73, but the dashboard indicator lights for turn signals didn't come until about 84 on up.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"