Oil Cooler Screen

truck had complete emmision system replaced 400,000 miles. it has 450,000 now, how often should i clean the screen?

should i replace all coolant each time???? can i reuse 50% of old coolant

it has pink phillp 66 coolant, i had trouble with this in other motors. is it okay to switch to the green stuff????

truck had complete emmision system replaced 400,000 miles. it has 450,000 now, how often should i clean the screen?

it has pink phillp 66 coolant, i had trouble with this in other motors. is it okay to switch to the green stuff????

I like green myself, But not sure if its that great for the system with all the heat !as for the screen Maybe every to years or so duno maybe 68 has an opinion!

the first time I cleaned mine it had about 300,000 on it and looked like it had been used to sift red dirt. I cleaned it then and started cleaning it about every 6 months no matter what mileage.

If I use green coolant I have to add PH treatment but if I use the red Conoco antifreeze I've never had to use additive for PH. I think maybe Conoco red must have additives already in it. I like to flush the system and use new every 6 months. My buddies say that's too often to service but that's okay. I grease my truck every week and change oil at 10-12,000. I think antifreeze and grease is cheaper than parts.

I agree with Jerryb oil and coolant are cheaper than parts. Just make sure the coolant either has the additives already in it or put it in your self. If the PH is off it WILL destroy your engine. I have an 01 engine and it doesn't have the coolant conditioner (Filter) on the engine so when I get the filter kit from MACK it comes in little baggies that I have to add to the coolant. If the coolant is rated for heavy duty diesel engines your good...However I have heard you cann't mix colors except the yellow concentrate but I'm not sure.. Good luck.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

the first time I cleaned mine it had about 300,000 on it and looked like it had been used to sift red dirt. I cleaned it then and started cleaning it about every 6 months no matter what mileage.

If I use green coolant I have to add PH treatment but if I use the red Conoco antifreeze I've never had to use additive for PH. I think maybe Conoco red must have additives already in it. I like to flush the system and use new every 6 months. My buddies say that's too often to service but that's okay. I grease my truck every week and change oil at 10-12,000. I think antifreeze and grease is cheaper than parts.

how much stuff do you get out of it after 6 months???

i was thinking change diffs,trans,power steering fluid, coolant and clean screen, every 100,000 miles????????"??

i greese my drive line and king pins every week, complete every 2 to 4 weeks depending on miles and what kind of weather i've been running in.

I agree with Jerryb oil and coolant are cheaper than parts. Just make sure the coolant either has the additives already in it or put it in your self. If the PH is off it WILL destroy your engine. I have an 01 engine and it doesn't have the coolant conditioner (Filter) on the engine so when I get the filter kit from MACK it comes in little baggies that I have to add to the coolant. If the coolant is rated for heavy duty diesel engines your good...However I have heard you cann't mix colors except the yellow concentrate but I'm not sure.. Good luck.

Who are you?

Welcome back. Hope all is well.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

This is all I could really find on the subject. Mack Service Bulletin Date: 11/04/08

Model: ASET™ AC, AI, AMI

(Also applies to Mack Trucks Australia)

Oil Cooler Coolant Inlet Screen Replacement

(November 2008)

A screen (part No. 387GC32) is incorporated into the Y-shaped hose at the oil cooler inlet on ASET™ AC, AI and AMI engines. This screen is designed to trap debris which may be circulating in the cooling system. Over time, this screen can become plugged with debris, resulting in restricted coolant flow and possible damage to cooling system components and/or the EGR cooler.

Oil Cooler Coolant Inlet Screen

1. Oil Cooler Coolant Inlet Screen (Part No. 387GC32)

Anytime the cooling system is drained for any reason, such as cooling system repair, maintenance or the regular coolant drain intervals, the oil cooler coolant inlet screen must be replaced with a new screen.

how much stuff do you get out of it after 6 months???

i was thinking change diffs,trans,power steering fluid, coolant and clean screen, every 100,000 miles????????"??

I don't find over just a few speckles in it cleaning that often. I see the bulletin MackPro posted says change it so I guess I'll start changing at least 1 per year. I change my differentials and tranny oil every 100,000 to 125,000 and rotate my tires every 50,000. I use centramatic tire balancers all the way around and haven't had a cupped out tire in a long time.

I don't know if it helps but I feel better doing it and usually I don't have much trouble selling my old truck when I decide to trade up. I'm back in the Windy trouble free again. :banana::mack1::thumb:

How's your new ride doing??

I don't find over just a few speckles in it cleaning that often. I see the bulletin MackPro posted says change it so I guess I'll start changing at least 1 per year. I change my differentials and tranny oil every 100,000 to 125,000 and rotate my tires every 50,000. I use centramatic tire balancers all the way around and haven't had a cupped out tire in a long time.

I don't know if it helps but I feel better doing it and usually I don't have much trouble selling my old truck when I decide to trade up. I'm back in the Windy trouble free again. :banana::mack1::thumb:

How's your new ride doing??

im truckin like im a young man, only it hurts.

spent last weekend installing stainless full fenders.

just over 11,000 miles and only rubed a hole in the air line going to seat. have not added any fluids.... shut it down for a three day weekend, gona give her a service and a real good checking over. when i traded trucks i let them slide on putting my michelin tires on this truck for centermatics all around. i had them on the old truck, and am a firm believer in them, old truck had 8 hole wheels, so the centermatics wouldn't work on this one. and this truck had brand new tires but they are chineeezzze tyres. look like mitchelin copies. im gona start a new post called bigens turbo, would appreciate your opinion.

im truckin like im a young man, only it hurts.

spent last weekend installing stainless full fenders.

just over 11,000 miles and only rubed a hole in the air line going to seat. have not added any fluids.... shut it down for a three day weekend, gona give her a service and a real good checking over. when i traded trucks i let them slide on putting my michelin tires on this truck for centermatics all around. i had them on the old truck, and am a firm believer in them, old truck had 8 hole wheels, so the centermatics wouldn't work on this one. and this truck had brand new tires but they are chineeezzze tyres. look like mitchelin copies. im gona start a new post called bigens turbo, would appreciate your opinion.

bigen I thought about your truck today when I was working on my water system. I was adding a new line for aux heater on the trailer and decided to look at my screen. That danged thing was so stopped up it had collapsed. I run a water filter and had serviced it when I pout the new water pump and housing on, about 2-3 weeks ago. It was funky with some kind of red grainy looking muck. It must be something that came in from the trailer system. Now I'm going to engineer some sort of in-line filter for the trailer.

Thanks for bringing up this screen subject.