61 B Seat Belts?

I think that Herb is correct - the 1st Macks with "optional" seat belts were the R models in 1966, and all of the various derivatives of that cab type. I don't know when they became standard equipment.

I have a couple of B models with aftermarket belts, but I have never seen any with factory belts.

Paul Van Scott

I think that Herb is correct - the 1st Macks with "optional" seat belts were the R models in 1966, and all of the various derivatives of that cab type. I don't know when they became standard equipment.

I have a couple of B models with aftermarket belts, but I have never seen any with factory belts.

Paul Van Scott

Thanks guys, I had a hard time with a state trooper who just didnt wanna buy into no factory seat belt story, he wound up on his cell phone getting another ruling, finally got off phone shaking his head and said your legal, you can go, but i dont like it. While you are here, Vanscott, i bought a 1986 mack R-600 dump truck with 14 ft. bed. Behind the cab across the top of frame is big piece of steel,,welded to front of it extending under back of cab it has 2 small air bags with a short shock absborber on each side, there is a cover over it in cab of truck with 2 large bolts looking like they praobably go through center of each bag. Leveling arm is unhooked right now, when i moved it to cycle air to bags (cab is sagging back away from hood right now),,both bags are leaking pretty good, i guess thats why they had leveling arm unhooked. My question is how hard are these to get out and replace,,go from inside cab at top or underneath? thanks,,,,randy

Hi Randy,

What you are talking about on the R-685 cab is way too new for me!

Sounds like a cab air ride system, and probably was a Mack option, although it could have been retrofit.

As for working on it - I don't have a clue - Sorry!

You might try herb at HK Trucking here on BMT. He has much newer equipment than anything I have ever owned.

Good Luck!

Paul Van Scott

Randy,

If the air ride cab system is aftermarket - it may not be too good for the life expectancy of the cab mounts.

A truck designed with an air ride for the cab also accounts for the movement of the cab by hinging or softening the front cab mounts to allow the motion without fatiguing the metal in the front mounts.

We had a Peterbilt a little while back that had this type of aftermarket system on the rear of the cab. The hood no longer fit to the cowl, the cab had sagged badly to the back and the front cab mounts were shot. It was a fairly expensive fix.

Mack uses a rubber donut in the cab mounts that has a steel liner to prevent compression. It doesn't allow very much movement. The front mounts are steel castings, and could be fatigued by regular bending motion fairly easily.

I think, for my money, that I would remove the air ride setup, and put back the original rear cab mounts, which are fairly cheap and long lasting. The truck probably has a good air seat already, but if it doesn't - just go get one.

All those ride softening devices just make a guy sleepy anyway!

Paul Van Scott

Paul has got a good sense of humor. I like sleepy, sleepy is an interesting thing when your driving. Especially when driving your Mack. Why you can even knock down good size trees when sleepy. :pat:

Anyway Randy, try and post a photo of your subject and see if someone can help.

Also on the subject of belts.....my 1962 B Model's seat frame has the loop that looks like a person could install a lap belt if need be.

And usually if the POLICE stop us, it's because they are jelious cause they don't have a MACK. Yaw can laugh if ya want to it was easy to figr out. :D

mike

Randy,

If the air ride cab system is aftermarket - it may not be too good for the life expectancy of the cab mounts.

A truck designed with an air ride for the cab also accounts for the movement of the cab by hinging or softening the front cab mounts to allow the motion without fatiguing the metal in the front mounts.

We had a Peterbilt a little while back that had this type of aftermarket system on the rear of the cab. The hood no longer fit to the cowl, the cab had sagged badly to the back and the front cab mounts were shot. It was a fairly expensive fix.

Mack uses a rubber donut in the cab mounts that has a steel liner to prevent compression. It doesn't allow very much movement. The front mounts are steel castings, and could be fatigued by regular bending motion fairly easily.

I think, for my money, that I would remove the air ride setup, and put back the original rear cab mounts, which are fairly cheap and long lasting. The truck probably has a good air seat already, but if it doesn't - just go get one.

All those ride softening devices just make a guy sleepy anyway!

Paul Van Scott

Unless you drive a Pete for a living, (in between repair spells). Then you NEED an air ride cab. What else is there to cushion the ride when all the air is out of the seat to sit on the floor?????

Rob

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Unless you drive a Pete for a living, (in between repair spells). Then you NEED an air ride cab. What else is there to cushion the ride when all the air is out of the seat to sit on the floor?????

Rob

Rob

Randy if yourn got one of those astro seats ya don't have anything to worry about. Or if yourn still saved yourn beanbag from the 70's then You'd tha Man wid da plan.

mike

Randy if yourn got one of those astro seats ya don't have anything to worry about. Or if yourn still saved yourn beanbag from the 70's then You'd tha Man wid da plan.

mike

Thanks all, gotta go thinks boout some all dis yall hit me with then now,,preciate all advice,,,,randy(going out to look at froont cab mounts and get old beanbag out of barn)

Thanks all, gotta go thinks boout some all dis yall hit me with then now,,preciate all advice,,,,randy(going out to look at froont cab mounts and get old beanbag out of barn)

I got some o dem dar tie dye patterns left ofer um da 70's to.

Wouldn't want you to be anything but "uptown cool" cause people might look at you funny.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks guys, I had a hard time with a state trooper who just didnt wanna buy into no factory seat belt story, he wound up on his cell phone getting another ruling, finally got off phone shaking his head and said your legal, you can go, but i dont like it. While you are here, Vanscott, i bought a 1986 mack R-600 dump truck with 14 ft. bed. Behind the cab across the top of frame is big piece of steel,,welded to front of it extending under back of cab it has 2 small air bags with a short shock absborber on each side, there is a cover over it in cab of truck with 2 large bolts looking like they praobably go through center of each bag. Leveling arm is unhooked right now, when i moved it to cycle air to bags (cab is sagging back away from hood right now),,both bags are leaking pretty good, i guess thats why they had leveling arm unhooked. My question is how hard are these to get out and replace,,go from inside cab at top or underneath? thanks,,,,randy

That's more than likely a factory air ride cab setup, although I can't say that for sure without actually seeing it.

The 1991 RB that I had was equipped with a setup just like what you describe. I had to change bags on that one a couple times and it ain't really a fun job.

Regarding stress on the front cab mounts, the R models with air ride cab use front cab mounts that are able to "rotate" as the rear of the cab moves on the air bags, so there is no issue with the front mounts.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

That's more than likely a factory air ride cab setup, although I can't say that for sure without actually seeing it.

The 1991 RB that I had was equipped with a setup just like what you describe. I had to change bags on that one a couple times and it ain't really a fun job.

Regarding stress on the front cab mounts, the R models with air ride cab use front cab mounts that are able to "rotate" as the rear of the cab moves on the air bags, so there is no issue with the front mounts.

thanks HK, yeah, I was looking at the front cab mounts, they do look like they are designed to rotate a little, I just gotta figure out how to get those old bags out, thanks for the help,,,randy

thanks HK, yeah, I was looking at the front cab mounts, they do look like they are designed to rotate a little, I just gotta figure out how to get those old bags out, thanks for the help,,,randy

Use a porta power to elevate the rear of the cab and then block it in position. It is a LOT easier to do with the cab up high rather than squatting in the rear. There are bolts on the top and bottom that must be removed and the bag will slip out. There is tension due to them being rubber composition, but the job can be done with a little effort.

Rob

Use a porta power to elevate the rear of the cab and then block it in position. It is a LOT easier to do with the cab up high rather than squatting in the rear. There are bolts on the top and bottom that must be removed and the bag will slip out. There is tension due to them being rubber composition, but the job can be done with a little effort.

Rob

The thing that made it a bitch on my RB was that the hoist frame and hyd tank for the dump box was in the way, so most of the job had to be done from underneath.

Like you said, I used a hydraulic jack and a 4x4 of rhe proper length to jack up the cab.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

The thing that made it a bitch on my RB was that the hoist frame and hyd tank for the dump box was in the way, so most of the job had to be done from underneath.

Like you said, I used a hydraulic jack and a 4x4 of rhe proper length to jack up the cab.

The only one I've dealt with was a tractor. I wanted the air ride setup so I removed everything. It was a lot easier to remove the crossmember from the frame once the cab was clear but taking the bags, (both blown) off wasn't that bad with nothing in the way.

A hoist frame would definately be a bitch to work around.

Rob

The only one I've dealt with was a tractor. I wanted the air ride setup so I removed everything. It was a lot easier to remove the crossmember from the frame once the cab was clear but taking the bags, (both blown) off wasn't that bad with nothing in the way.

A hoist frame would definately be a bitch to work around.

Rob

Thanks Rob and HK, Im gonna get started on that,,,Randy

Rob

Rob

Well...anyhow, I put a lap belt on the driver's seat in the mixer. Whenever somebody rides with me I strap in and say "if we turn over you're on your own".

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Well...anyhow, I put a lap belt on the driver's seat in the mixer. Whenever somebody rides with me I strap in and say "if we turn over you're on your own".

That's casual.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Rob

mission accomplished, wasnt too bad,,,feel like im riding on a cloud now,,,thanks all,,,randy