Spoke To Aluminum Wheels...or Dressing Up The Spokes?

id really like to get rid of the rusty old spoke wheels off my rd688, i hear changing the hubs is quite a process...has anyone done this? or does anyone have any suggestions on just dressing up and painting the spoke wheels? im tired of chaceing rust around on my wheels so id really like to put aluminum on it, plus the value of the truck would go up it it had some 24.5 aluminums. any one have pics of their spoke wheels done up?

id really like to get rid of the rusty old spoke wheels off my rd688, i hear changing the hubs is quite a process...has anyone done this? or does anyone have any suggestions on just dressing up and painting the spoke wheels? im tired of chaceing rust around on my wheels so id really like to put aluminum on it, plus the value of the truck would go up it it had some 24.5 aluminums. any one have pics of their spoke wheels done up?

It's not hard to swap hubs. Just need to find another truck with the same steer axle as you currently have with Budd style hubs. If your steer axle is something like a FA-537, (for instance) they were offered with both Dayton, and Budd style hubs and the swap would be easy as off and on.

I like spokes also. Blast them clean, prime them with high quality materials and paint them up. Usually spray cans don't yield the best results but is inexpensive. If you are careful when installing the tires/wheels assemblies, the rust that starts is not worse than a Budd hub in my opinion. I see many older trucks with spokes and stainless, or chrome caps on the retaining nuts. This is my plan with plated hub center caps on my B-67.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What's the point?

In addition to the initial expense and labor of the changeover you'll just be trading occasional painting for frequent polishing.

Aluminum wheels that are not kept polished will quickly look terrible, whereas spoke wheels with a good paint job will look good for years with an occasional washing.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Keep the spokes. Paint the rim and spoke two different colors to create some contrast which makes them look allot nicer. Spokes look awful when both rim and spoke are the same color such as white, black or even gray. You see them painted like that from dealers who do a quick spray can cover up job on the whole thing.

Go to Hanks Truck Pictures and look at pictures of Australian or New Zealand trucks. Before the 90's spokes were found on just about every vehicle down there. Even in the 2000's some trucks still came standard with spokes. They really made them look damn good too. Check out this HTP page, at the top you will see a funky looking cab over called an Atkinson 3800 (British truck maker owned by IH at the time). Now those spokes look amazing. That one picture right there convinced me you can do wonders with spokes. Scroll down that page and you will see that just about every rig has spokes, even a nice B on there too.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 4 weeks later...

yeah, i agree i like the look of the spokes with all chrome nut covers and id like to do the spokes and the hub the same color as the cab (dark blue) and the rim gloss black. i want to paint the cab a deep red so i think im going to wait. to do them. and then do them at the same time...

Hello Is there any danger with removing these spoke wheels? They look similar to the split rim (widow maker) wheels or they totally different? Thanks

Do you mean just taking the rim/tire off the truck? Nothing serious there. Unloosen all the nuts(leave them on) and smack the wedges and kick the rim loose. Now remove the wedges and remove tire.

The early 20" tires were split rims, but that has nothing to do with removal from truck.

Spokes do look good when all painted up with contrasting colors. I did mine with spray bombs 9 yrs ago. They need some work now and wish I could get them sandblasted. Chrome nut covers add some style. I'd like to chrome my center covers.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

i clean then spray the spokes,after they dry i use rustoliem in the quart can to paint the wheels, thin it just a little and put it on with a cheap throw away foam brush. it looks as good as spray once you get the hang of it. the less you brush the better. after some practice put it on in one stroke and it will flow out.

after the first time they are very easy to touch up.

you can realy thin down your wheel color and slap a coat on all 6 in about an hour.