Gold Demomstrators

I might be wrong,but the ones I remember were '73's.They were used to introduce the new ENDT-676 and had "300 series" painted on them.Our local dealer had a F-model.As soon as the demo period was up,it got painted green and put into their trucking fleet.

I think you were right about this. As I remember, there were actually two that were making the rounds to customers here in the Lancaster area. They were painted gold with a gold stripe, one was a R686 with a hood scoop and a big "300" logo on the hood, and an R700 with a 325 V8, which a local contractor bought for a lowboy tractor.

I remember all this because at the time I was driving a mighty F-1000 Ford with a 534 ci V8, and I thought I had a bad ass ride, but those Macks were really something!

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

hi i was wonderi8ng what any body knew about the mid to late 70's r model gold demomstrator trucks

thanks phil

As Superdog said they were to introduce the trucking world to the new ENDT-676 285 horse intercooled diesel.Two companies in our area (Northern Illinois) had them and kept them painted gold for along time.One company,W. Smith Cartage of Crystal Lake (then HQ in Cary) liked the color so much, they changed their fleet color to gold.They got rid of their first 300 Series R after putting about 2 million miles on it.The other company that had one sold out to another asphalt paver in the area.They ran theirs up until about 10 years ago.They drove it over to a pit they own,cut the frame behind the cab.It now powers a roll crusher in their operation.The guys really like it.Like most older Mack products it is reliable as hell and if they get something that stops the rolls,they simply put the 6-speed in reverse.Beats the prybars and other tools and cussing our guys use when that happens!I have a Bulldog Mag from 73 showing the convoy that ran from coast to coast stopping at dealers and truck stops along the way to show 'em off!That tip-turbine sure sounded cool.Had one on a '79 R-612st (300 plus-315 horse).If you remember,that was the forerunner to the chassis mounted intercooler that MACK was the first to use...now everybody uses them,HMMMM........ :thumb::mack1::thumb:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

As Superdog said they were to introduce the trucking world to the new ENDT-676 285 horse intercooled diesel.Two companies in our area (Northern Illinois) had them and kept them painted gold for along time.One company,W. Smith Cartage of Crystal Lake (then HQ in Cary) liked the color so much, they changed their fleet color to gold.They got rid of their first 300 Series R after putting about 2 million miles on it.The other company that had one sold out to another asphalt paver in the area.They ran theirs up until about 10 years ago.They drove it over to a pit they own,cut the frame behind the cab.It now powers a roll crusher in their operation.The guys really like it.Like most older Mack products it is reliable as hell and if they get something that stops the rolls,they simply put the 6-speed in reverse.Beats the prybars and other tools and cussing our guys use when that happens!I have a Bulldog Mag from 73 showing the convoy that ran from coast to coast stopping at dealers and truck stops along the way to show 'em off!That tip-turbine sure sounded cool.Had one on a '79 R-612st (300 plus-315 horse).If you remember,that was the forerunner to the chassis mounted intercooler that MACK was the first to use...now everybody uses them,HMMMM........ :thumb::mack1::thumb:

That is a pretty cool idea. Shame the truck was cut but in a way its is still good to see it working and not completely scrapped. Makes you wonder why Mack never tried to get into the Industrial and Marine engine business sooner. I bet they would have done well in those areas.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

That is a pretty cool idea. Shame the truck was cut but in a way its is still good to see it working and not completely scrapped. Makes you wonder why Mack never tried to get into the Industrial and Marine engine business sooner. I bet they would have done well in those areas.

Thad,

Was at my local Mack dealer in the 90,s and they had an ad out of a yachting magazine for Merlin Marine Engines.They used an E-6 MACK engine advertised at 700 HP!That was double the horse MACK sold as an E-6 350 horse for the road.I don't know if Merlin is still in business.I think they were out of Florida. :mack1::thumb::SMOKIE-LFT:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Thad,

Was at my local Mack dealer in the 90,s and they had an ad out of a yachting magazine for Merlin Marine Engines.They used an E-6 MACK engine advertised at 700 HP!That was double the horse MACK sold as an E-6 350 horse for the road.I don't know if Merlin is still in business.I think they were out of Florida. :mack1::thumb::SMOKIE-LFT:

Mack built boat engines way back.I just saw a 900 hp E9 V-8 marine diesel advertised on Craigslist.I'm not computer literate enough to post a link,but it was up in Maine.

Int the mid to late 90's Mack finally decided to go into Marine and Industrial power. I think they even had a website: www.mackpower.com. After the Volvo takeover the site was shutdown and redirected to mack trucks website.

Would be cool to see generators, dozers, scrapers, crushers, loaders and other equipment powered by Mack engines. Volvo has their Penta division that produces industrial engines, marine engines and marine drive lines.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Int the mid to late 90's Mack finally decided to go into Marine and Industrial power. I think they even had a website: www.mackpower.com. After the Volvo takeover the site was shutdown and redirected to mack trucks website.

Would be cool to see generators, dozers, scrapers, crushers, loaders and other equipment powered by Mack engines. Volvo has their Penta division that produces industrial engines, marine engines and marine drive lines.

According to Mr. Montville's book,MACK actually introduced their first marine diesels in 1940!I imagine the events of Dec. 7th,the following year, put the kabosh on that!That crusher "power unit" I talked about is probably just one of the many applications of "homemade" MACK powered equipment examples,all over the world.A MACK fan, Rick from Montana, told me he has converted a few Michigan loaders to MACK power using 673 or 675 and the air-operated wet clutch that UPS used.No limit on the possibities here! :thumb::mack1: