I Decided.....

Double L

CSA 2010

In a nut shell CSA 2010 is gonna bring about more auditing of carriers whose rating and driver's rating are not good due to log books, accidents, inspection, and out of service violations. Also things such as log book, accident, and out of service violations will affect the driver's more than ever now.

I hope I win the mega millions so I can quit and won't have to deal with the bullshit anymore, but we all know that's not likely to happen. Maybe they should take some of our money Obama's throwing away and use it to have a federal agent ride with everybody to make sure they comply with all rules and regulations. If they didn't comply they would be shot in the head and left in the ditch, then the agent could call H.Q. and say "this one didn't cut it,send us another one". Shouldn't make light of it I guess, it might come to that.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Double L... I dont know what your driving skill level is but my advice is find a guy that trusts your ability to drive and learn the right way with him. someone that knows his trucks. If you want a laugh keep reading

I was at the local DMV, 20 years old, turning 21 in a few months. walked in sat down, passed the CDL permit test. I walked out the door got in my car to go home. As im leaving I see a local dump truck come in the DMV lot. I get a brite idea. I go over and Asked the guy in the truck for a job if in return I could take a test in his truck. The driver called his boss and I started brick laying for him the next day. 4 weeks later I had a CDL to drive hazmat trucks. Cost me nothing but my time a few ego busters and a few sore arms. It was not 100% stress free. I failed 2 times being to carefull. I tested with a 87R model and a 22'dump trailer with a large ashphalt spread pan. While doing the backing up test I could get the truck in the lines perfect but could not see the spread pan in a mirrors. I never went over any boundry lines but the trailers rearmost part(spreadpan)came up about a foot or two short from the pass/fail line that represented a "Dock". both times failed for being to carefull. Had to go back on my 3rd and last attempt and luckly I got a nice old lady that was calm and I passed with perfect score. this was also the same time George Ryan got busted for the CDL bribes.I look back now and can see them lookin at me...... In walks a normal white kid trying to pass his test in one shot. sketchy? must be quizing us?... I think I got the fails just because they were going 100% by the book untill things cooled down with the scandal?

my point is Driving a truck or anything is a learning experince and all the money in the world wont make you better. save your money go to work for someone and learn on the equipment you will be taking the test in. you will learn a little about the buisness and see the sides that no trucking school can ever show you.

just my .02

Good luck what ever route you go

Trent

Last time I was in the DMV I think was to renew the tags on my pickup...anyway there were 3 guys taking the road part of the test for a local truck driving school...2 failed, didn't even leave the lot...the other BARELY passed. The lady administering the tests looked like she'd had enough. Long story short...she told me their rate of 'graduating' is about the same as the national divorce rate...50%

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

If you can find the right school, then its not too bad. You will spend more time in the classroom discussing "theory" than actual drive time. As stated, better to find a company that is willing to take you on and you will learn more "practical"

Many moons ago, when i lived in CT. the local volunteer fire depts would schedule a mass testing to for drivers of fire apparatus. The testing was a little more lax. Many guys would join the fire dept only to get a Class 2 (straight truck) then get a job driving dump trucks. I was fifth to drive our truck. Bout a 65 ford tanker. Clutch was just about shot. Drove about 1 mile and parked.

When I went for a Class 1, the inspector says "over there is where we used to do parking maneuvers" a construction sit that had been working for at least 6 months. So no backing stuff.

When I moved to FL, the garbage company had its own inspectors. This was just as the CDL thing started. If I stayed up north for two more weeks, I would have been grandfathered in to A. But instead I started with a car only and had to test up. Had heard that a local fleet had an inspector. Friend of mine that knew the man told me a couple bucks and about 2 hrs was all I needed. Did not get the chance. Eventually, he got found out and ALL drivers had to be re-examined.

This is a slow time for me workwise. There is a school just up the road and I'm thinking about spending the money for a "refresher" From what I have seen and heard, they do a good job

So after i have rambled, I would say try to find a job to help you.

What happened to the relative? No need to answer.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

From what I've seen and heard, the majority of those "truck driving schools" are little more than CDL mills designed to take your money while giving you just enough knowledge and experience to be a danger to yourself and others.

The one exception to that is Fox Valley Tech here in WI.

Their course is very thorough and no one graduates with a CDL unless they know what they're doing.

They even have a skid pad to teach slippery road driving techniques.

So, yes, It would probably be better to get some sort of job where you're working around trucks and "earn while you learn", from people who know what they're doing.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Well I've driven trucks since I was oh around 16. I hooked and unhooked trailers. I just never backed up with a trailer and never driven a truck on the road that is all. Shifting won't be a problem for me since I been practicing the basics for the past 3 years now. The community college use to offer truck driving training but they dropped it and the closest community college is 2 hours away. Believe it or not the guy at the CDL school was upfront and honest with me, ya know he told me I wouldn't be able to get a job due to my age which I already knew that and he was actually impressed I was going to college and getting a degree. He was a real nice down to earth fella. He didn't try to rush or anything like that. Here is the link to the school. Premier CDL They also have locations at 3 community colleges up near Chicago in Kankakee and Freeport with the other one being in Champaign. The Granite City one is just a standalone not affiliated with a community college. There was another school where they were at but the owner retired and my mom knew the instructor who ran it and now the school running it now took it over.

I already got my permit and I tried the learning on someone else equipment part as well but their insurance won't let them or some other excuse ya know. I'm not too thrilled on learning on an pre 97 International 9400 though because in the other topic I posted was because of how high the clutch sits and how far it goes in, not short people friendly.

Ya know funny thing is my dad who has always been against me driving a truck asked me last night if the community college I'm going to offered a CDL course, he told me my best bet is to go to a school, which honestly I have to agree with him. That really took my by surprise myself.

They always say your better off going to a community college who offers a CDL program over a CDL mill and that is true.

I've known people that have done both. Until the economy closed in on the position it's at now, the college graduates had better prospects of employment around central IL. ADM based out of Decatur would readily pick up new drivers for awhile, but quickly realized the college educated netted better drivers due to time behind the wheel, and "coloring book" experience. I don't know much about retention, and do know that company is not real easy on people without experience. But, they did employ. A couple of young people that work there have been treated well with new equipment, (after probationary period) and plenty of work. Neither are "greedy", or expect the same as a multi year tenure driver.

I also know several people that hated to work for the company and did not last.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've known people that have done both. Until the economy closed in on the position it's at now, the college graduates had better prospects of employment around central IL. ADM based out of Decatur would readily pick up new drivers for awhile, but quickly realized the college educated netted better drivers due to time behind the wheel, and "coloring book" experience.

Rob

There is some truth to that it seems and I didn't know ADM hired driver's right out of school.

Can't tell you the last time I was DOT'ed... Luckily, the assbag state cop who was the main DOT'er in this area retired almost a year ago.

Trouble is, I'm sure there's an even more "assbag" cop taking his place this year.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Do any DOT boys even know how to drive a truck?

They put on their overall, crawl around, and check stuff.

I pulled out of a landfill one day. At the exit, Mr DOT pulls me over. Everything checks OK, but he tells me "you have a nail in the front tire". NO Shit, I just left there. I check underneath when I get to the hard road to make sure I don't have stuff caught or dragging.

One time I got pulled over for not dropping the tag axle. Told them I didn't have the weight to need it. Well they checked it anyway. They came out 800 lb more than my estimate. but still under 53k Nothing to do but bust stones.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Trouble is, I'm sure there's an even more "assbag" cop taking his place this year.

I haven't heard if anyone is or not. The other two guys who do it are alright. It's one thing to do your job well, but it's another to be a first class prick while doing your job...this guy was just a straight up dickhead. Too many cops with a chip on their shoulder for some reason.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I haven't heard if anyone is or not. The other two guys who do it are alright. It's one thing to do your job well, but it's another to be a first class prick while doing your job...this guy was just a straight up dickhead. Too many cops with a chip on their shoulder for some reason.

Those are the cops that got beat up & picked on as kids, so they are out power tripping now. :rolleyes:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!