Shutterstat:

Rob

Does a shutterstat regulate air pressure to the shutters on a B model, or is it just an on/off switch and purge valve? Sneaked a few minutes in to work on the B67 tonight and this thing does not seem to put full reservoir pressure to the shutter line. I can close them by hand pressure but there is not enough air pressure in the line to actuate them. A shop air line will readily snap them closed and the cylinder does not leak under high pressure but does with truck air. I took the cylinder off and lubed it up with Marvel mystery oil and reinstalled. This did nothing in reality but may still be beneficial to the packing.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

With very few exceptions, I've never had sutters on anything that was not a simple on/off valve.

As my very old and un-relible mind tells me, the water temp opperates the valve.

When the temp says open - - - the sutters open.

As the temp drops, the sutters close.

I've worked on some industeral applications that the sutters will be veriable, but trucks are open or closed.

NOTE:

I've seen these hooked up backwards, and will not work well, as one might guess!!

SUTTERS SHOULD ALWAYS FAIL OPEN!!!!!!!!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Rob,

I think the shutter temperature sensor and "open/close" valve on the top of the engine takes in air from the air pressure governor mounted on the upper left firewall. That is the limiting factor, or at least, was on my B-67. Running straight line pressure to the shutter temp control cured the issue. I can get details from Jimmy, if you need - he's doing the final assembly now.

Paul VS

Rob,

From what i've noticed the air pressure is the same but until you get heat from the thermostat( engine temp up to 180*) the unit seems like it does nothing. Thats the issue with my truck. Not getting it hot enough to work the shutterstat on the water housing. The air after shutdown eventually evaquates and the shutters open.

mike

Hi guys and thanks for the input. I took the governor apart and cleaned it tonight. It was full of hardened oil, and gunk. The supply line to the shutterstat is also partially plugged so it, along with all other lines on the truck will be replaced next week. Never did get the cylinder to not leak past the piston cup so I have rigged a regulated air supply at 75 psi, and leaving it applied overnight to reform the packing. It does not leak past with this amount of air holding on it.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

From what i've noticed the air pressure is the same but until you get heat from the thermostat( engine temp up to 180*) the unit seems like it does nothing. Thats the issue with my truck. Not getting it hot enough to work the shutterstat on the water housing. The air after shutdown eventually evaquates and the shutters open.

mike

Hi Mike, I've never seen the shutter work on this truck so can't say anything. Since getting the engine back together it has not been up to 140 degrees so they probably wouldn't even attempt to work yet.

My 64 B61 will modulate the shutter assembly fully opened, and closed as the temperature varies. Kinda neat to hear them pop closed after driving the truck in the warm months, after shutting the engine down. The shutters will be closed and the heat soak from no water flow will cause the shutterstat to pop them back open and after a little cooldown, shut them again. Eventually the air receivers bleed off and the shutters remain open and close when the air pressure approaches 60psig.

Rob

Hi Mike, I've never seen the shutter work on this truck so can't say anything. Since getting the engine back together it has not been up to 140 degrees so they probably wouldn't even attempt to work yet.

My 64 B61 will modulate the shutter assembly fully opened, and closed as the temperature varies. Kinda neat to hear them pop closed after driving the truck in the warm months, after shutting the engine down. The shutters will be closed and the heat soak from no water flow will cause the shutterstat to pop them back open and after a little cooldown, shut them again. Eventually the air receivers bleed off and the shutters remain open and close when the air pressure approaches 60psig.

Rob

Sitting here at work thinking about the shutterstat, i've given it much thought. Correct me if i'm wrong Super Mechanics. When the heat builds inside the water manifold where the shutterstat sits. It's supposed to get hot enough ( say 175 degrees ) to start opening the brass valve inside the shutterstat to cut off the air and replace it with heat. But since their is heat and some air left in the slave cylinder that opens the shutters...so then you have shutters that will open because of lack of full air. Meaning the shutters will begin to open as the temperature and air is regulated. So simple minded like me. :D I like the idea that when something in the cooling system fails the shutters can be opened up manually. I have sat and ran my truck for an hour in the garage an the temp. would only build to a maximum of 160 degrees so far. More work is instore for me looks like. Thermastat may be sticking or it may only be a 160 degree thermastat installed at some time.

to start opening the brass valve inside the shutterstat to cut off the air and replace it with heat.

??

Where is this "heat" coming from? Got me cornfuzed.

The shutters are sprung open(failsafe), as long as the motor is cool, it uses air to close the shutters and try to build heat in the motor. Once it sees a specific heat, it closes the valve and allows the spring to pull the shutters open.

Even with a thermostat, I don't think an idling diesel will create that much heat? Most times they tell you to get them up to 1000 rpm or so. Only during hot summer days does mine get hot enough to open the shutters while idling for any time, but usually only after it's been on the road not persay just out of the garage.

I would assume the shutterstar is also sprung so it's failsafe is closed so it won't hold the shutters closed if something goes awry.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

??

Where is this "heat" coming from? Got me cornfuzed.

The shutters are sprung open(failsafe), as long as the motor is cool, it uses air to close the shutters and try to build heat in the motor. Once it sees a specific heat, it closes the valve and allows the spring to pull the shutters open.

Even with a thermostat, I don't think an idling diesel will create that much heat? Most times they tell you to get them up to 1000 rpm or so. Only during hot summer days does mine get hot enough to open the shutters while idling for any time, but usually only after it's been on the road not persay just out of the garage.

I would assume the shutterstar is also sprung so it's failsafe is closed so it won't hold the shutters closed if something goes awry.

Hey Larry,

I have the non-production shutterstat. I cleaned it out because of all the grease collects inside and stops up the performance of the said device. A brass valve like the one inside a caburetor's float bowl that cuts off fuel. It shuts off the air flow when the engine gets hot enough. It replaces the air for heat off the water manifold, which opens the shutters partially until the air pressure picks up again. B)

mike

A ha. I see. Guess there are more variations to this stuff then one would think.

Yea...I bought one from Tracy awhile back but have not put it on yet and probably won't until later. It looks like a throw away unit and no way of repairing.

I'm more concerned about wiring harness than anything else. I'm not an electrician. I do well to spell it right. :lol:

mike

Yea...I bought one from Tracy awhile back but have not put it on yet and probably won't until later. It looks like a throw away unit and no way of repairing.

I'm more concerned about wiring harness than anything else. I'm not an electrician. I do well to spell it right. laugh.gif

mike

Yeah well I get confused when more than one wire is involved.

Rob

my truck is a dm600 and im having problems with my shutters on the rad also mine are froze and i cant get them to move even with a 18 inch screwdriver the air ram is shot its not connected or anything how would i get into the linkage on this thing without removing the rad. joe

Edited by joes mack

• 2 weeks later...

I've worked on some industeral applications that the sutters will be veriable, but trucks are open or closed.

Packer

Hey Packer. Sorry But I must disagree with you here. I was always curious as to what position my shutters were in, so I rigged up a cable to show me in the cab the position of the shutters. I must admit most of the time they are either fully open, or fully closed, however, there are a lot of occasions where they are midway. Interesting to watch them move whilst traveling.

Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck