Petercars

RowdyRebel

...was droppin' like flies today. They couldn't keep fuel filters in stock. I know of at least 1 truck that got 2 new fuel filters today...and I saw him at the yard with a 3rd in his hand...not sure if he was taking it to put on or just to have for tomorrow.

Not sure who's bright idea it was to put a fuel filter outside the frame rails exposed to the cold air...just seems kinda dumb to me. :blush:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...was droppin' like flies today. They couldn't keep fuel filters in stock. I know of at least 1 truck that got 2 new fuel filters today...and I saw him at the yard with a 3rd in his hand...not sure if he was taking it to put on or just to have for tomorrow.

Not sure who's bright idea it was to put a fuel filter outside the frame rails exposed to the cold air...just seems kinda dumb to me. :blush:

Bah...it's not even cold down there. One of the guys I was running with yesterday has a K-whopper and had to stop to do a quick filter replacement. Knock on wood, I've been pretty fortunate.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Bah...it's not even cold down there. One of the guys I was running with yesterday has a K-whopper and had to stop to do a quick filter replacement. Knock on wood, I've been pretty fortunate.

If your Mack is like my Mack, the fuel filters are close to the engine block, inside the engine compartment...where any air that flows around them has already passed through the radiator and been warmed up a little.

The petercars have 1 fuel filter in the engine compartment, and a second smaller fuel filter out in the open on the drivers side...exposed to the cold air while driving down the road. Not sure WHY someone thought that would be a good location for 'em...'cuz on a cold day they just don't work too well. End of the week oughtta be interesting. :D

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Rowdy, Do you use chloride in your box at all? We have been hauling some slag in our long dump and the driver said that it is sticking pretty good despite the chloride we are using. Any pointers? Thanks, Brad

I haul mostly coal...got a sprayer from the hardware store and just use a little diesel to grease the sides & floor. 1/2 gallon is usually enough for a 39' trailer...just need a thin film to keep the water from freezing to the sides & floor. You gotta be careful, though...because SOME places will reject the load if they smell diesel fuel on it...but if you are hauling to a power plant, they generally don't care. Sometimes I'll mix a little used oil into the diesel...helps me get rid of it cheap and it makes it clear where I've sprayed & where I haven't....but you can't go TOO thick on the oil or else it won't go through the spray nozzle.

I've heard of people using some sort of salt...but that just seems to be corrosive. Not sure what you'd use on "sensitive" loads. Hauling gypsum or lime to be spread in the fields, you can't use anything that would hurt the field...no salt, no diesel...I spent almost 3 hours digging out the other day. :pat: I bought a new shovel on the way home, since the one I HAD has been on the truck for over a year and I heard the handle crackling as I was shoveling...HOPING it wouldn't break before I was done with it. The new shovel isn't really a transfer shovel...the blade is a little narrower (which should be better for scraping product out of the corners) and it's straighter...so I'll be able to chop straight down at the ice instead of at an awkward angle. It's also 1/4" thick steel, so it oughtta be strong enough to take some abuse. I had gone to the store for a new shovel and something to chop ice...and found 'em both in the one shovel. :thumb:

old shovel looked like this one ('cept with a wood handle):

pACE2-961546reg.jpg

New one looks like this one ('cept without the jagged tip):

pACE3-6840321reg.jpg

Rowdy, Do you use chloride in your box at all? We have been hauling some slag in our long dump and the driver said that it is sticking pretty good despite the chloride we are using. Any pointers? Thanks, Brad

I don't know if you're familiar with them or not, but yesterday I saw at the Stewart Ag farm along rt. 71 north of 52 they had a couple long dumps in the air getting picked at by an excavator...not my cup 'o tea.

I've been hauling some salt and once in a while, fertilizer...bye bye what little paint I had left on the frame...

I haul salt for PennDot and Townships. The worst part is not on the paint but the wires. Come spring it is time to replace a lot of connections. I try to keep them sealed but not always successful. Exhaust heat is the best for stone,sand or dirt,but it is notthe best for salt it cakes up in corners You have to be careful when using exhaust heat when hauling coal if you get on a hard pull possible to get it smoking. Try anti-freeze in a sprayer to prevent sticking it works good but is a little expensive.If you springle some salt in floor before loading stone or dirt it works pretty good. Joe D.

Problem: unknown

Take a ride by the landfill and watch the roll-off boxes get scraped with an excavator. It's even better when a compactor box needs SOMETHING, anything to come out. Excavator would drive up, boom exteded, take a couple swipes in side, back out.

Rinse

Repeat

This is from experience in CT

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Gambi, I have seen Stewert around before. They were hauling into Corn products the other day. I don't know how they can warrant hauling corn in those trailers, between the short trailers and flip tarps. I have used the excavator before on a steel trailer. Right now I am going to try adding more calicum chloride to our mix and see if it works better. I think the main problem is that it has been so damn cold. If it would stay in the high teens and into the 20's things would be better on all fronts. Brad

Holy crap I thought I was gonna turn it over today :blink: I got out to where I was dumping...ground was level where I was raising the bed up...but the load wasn't coming out. Got to the last stage, and all heck broke loose...literally. The load decided to come out all at once, which pushed the truck & trailer forward about 3 feet very quickly. While it seemed level where I was dumping, moving forward that quickly made that trailer rock a lot more than I care for.

Tomorrow should be fun. :wacko: S'posed ta get down to 9 degrees tonight & a high of 18 tomorrow. Luckily I'm just hauling coal, so I can grease the bed up real good. Gotta dig out the coveralls :pat:

...I was raising the bed up...but the load wasn't coming out. Got to the last stage, and all heck broke loose...literally. The load decided to come out all at once...

Accidents happen that way... :banana:

I've had to use our backhoe on my steel dump a couple times...the worst was when I first bought it. It wasn't shiny yet and I was going back and forth between hauling asphalt and grindings...ended up with a coffee table sized chunk of asphalt and grindings. I took two swings at it with a shovel and said the hell with it.

A friend with an auto shop would give his used antifreeze to a buddy for free. It kept him from paying the recycler to come get it. Don't know how good it is for the enviornment though.

Maxx613