Dadgummit It's Cold!

RowdyRebel

...almost didn't get all my loads ran today 'cuz of my late start. LUCKILY I had the foresight to put some anti-gel stuff in the tanks when I fueled up on Thursday (before parking for the 3-day weekend). I don't think my block heater is doing much, though...plugged it in last night and it still was slow going this morning. I thought I'd have to jump it with how slow it cranked the first turn or two...then it started gaining a little momentum and fired up probably 5 or 6 seconds after I turned the key. I seem to remember last winter, the truck would blow out hot air almost immediately and the temp needle would at least be in the blue if I had plugged it in the night before. Temp needle this morning was no different than if it wasn't plugged in...pegged as low as it'd go. No heat, either...had to idle it a while to warm it up.

I had left the bed partly raised, and the tarp open...so that if we had any moisture it would go into the bed and run out through the tailgate...rather than collecting on top of the tarp and then freezing making it nearly impossible to roll up to be able to get loaded. My first issue with that this morning was when I could not move the metal slide to lock the handle straight....it was frozen. So, I rapped on it a few times with a hammer to break the ice and managed to get it to work so I could roll the tarp back over the trailer...80 mile bounce to the first load, and I get better fuel mileage if the tarp is covering the trailer. So, now that THAT's done, the air pressure is built up enough in the truck that I can release the trailer brakes...and TRY to lower the bed. Nope. Air line to the pump is frozen...or maybe the valve in the controller. All I know is that when I moved the lever to "lower", air was rushing out of the back of the controller. :pat: I left it like that...hoping it would blow itself clear and start working while I checked the tires. Yup. Got back in the truck and the air was no longer rushing out of the control valve...but the bed wasn't coming down, either. Dang. Hydraulic oil must be the consistency of molasses :pat: Go into the house to warm up while the bed SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY makes it's way down.

FINALLY ready to leave...put the truck in 2nd and start letting out the clutch. I'm in high range...but the lever is in the low range position. It won't shift to low range...danged air line must be froze. Oh well, I'm empty now...maybe once I get rolling things will thaw out and start working right. :pat:

What a way to start a new year :pat:

'sposed ta be colder tomorrow :pat:

All y'all Northerners need ta keep this danged cold weather up there where it belongs :angry:

Truck's plugged in...again. Anti-gel added to the fuel...again. Tarp open....again (although I only gotta go 10 miles to get my first load...1" clean rock...probably can get away with not rolling the tarp until after I pick up my 2nd load) :thumb: Truck bed DOWN tonight, though....ain't going through THAT again :pat: I'll raise it Wednesday night...they's calling for snow Wednesday into Thursday :banana:

I like snow...I just don't like the cold. :tease:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My head hurts now. Maybe I should stop doing this: :pat:

:lol:

and that WOULD have been at the bottom of the original post, 'cept I got the message:

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

:pat:

Dangit...there I go again :o

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

You guys where nice enough to share your hot humid weather last summer with us, :thumb: now it's time for us to return the favor :thumb:

I'm not a huge fan of the snappin cold either, :angry: don't much mind the snow tho $$$

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

It sure is nasty. Had a pipe freeze up and burst in one of our buildings. Worst part was it was a tenant who moved out a week ago, shut of his gas and didnt tell us he was gone until today. Thankfully after work me and my brother srtop by to check on the place and hear Niagara Falls. Stumble through the dark and ran for the water main and shut it off. It must have just burst too as there was less than 100 gallons of water to vacuum up (filled my 12gal wet-dry 8 times). Had two friends come and help, we tore the ceiling tiles and insulation down and cleand the place up. Took 2.5 hours and we had the place nearly dry. Treated my friends to dinner.

Called the dumb tenant up who swears up and down he shut the main valves on the water meter and the rear building supply valve. Every valve was open, does he think we are stupid? Same thing happend least year when the idiot opens the rear building supply valve because our other tenant asked him to so he could use the hose (in the winter, WTF?). He never called to ask me if it was okay to open that valve, even after I told him not to open it because it was shut for the winter. Well the pipe bursts in the back and floods the rear section out. Thankfully the other tenant didn't have anything of real value in there at the time, he rents for the yard space

So when is it going to be spring again? :rolleyes:

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

You guys where nice enough to share your hot humid weather last summer with us last summer, :thumb: now it's time for us to return the favor :thumb:

I'm not a huge fan of the snappin cold either, :angry: don't much mind the snow tho $$$

heat + humidity = cloud9.gif

Rowdy-take off one elbow on your exhaust and put a piece of flex on it. run in to blow on your hyd. tank. Will warm fluid quick.

Did that when I was in CT. running a garbage truck. Out the door at 3 am and its very cold, and dark.

I have also dumped some kerosene into the hyd tank. But that can hurt some seals

Just my .02

Oh we are expecting a freeze here tonite. Don't know if this Florida truck will want to start.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Yup, wondered when "winter" was going to get here..........then allofasudden...........IT'S HERE!!!

Been single digits at night, low 20's during the day....YUK!!

Been having fun with the ol Cub Cadet and plowing snow though(only kinda fun you can have in the snow).

Can't wait for the warm up!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It's been ass cold the past week here too and worse by the weekend. 4-8"+ of snow starting tomorrow (wed) night, with wind following. Yay. I might just leave the truck parked on thursday, stay home and watch it snow. I've been driving truck for 10 years now and I still hate (loathe, despise, etc) driving a big truck in the winter as much now as I did on day one. I stocked up on fuel additive, alcohol (the drinking kind and air line kind) and long undies...

I just read an article about how this winter is shaping up to be the coldest in 25 years, if not 40.

Luckily I've got access to a backhoe with cab/heat to plow the driveway and whatnot.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

It's that global warming Al Liar Gore has been telling us about. :rolleyes:

Haha...they say "climate change" is producing more of the weather extremes that we've been allegedly seeing...more extreme droughts/floods...colder cold snaps, hotter heat waves...bla bla bla.

Some place hot and humid year round is where I want to be...

Haha...they say "climate change" is producing more of the weather extremes that we've been allegedly seeing...more extreme droughts/floods...colder cold snaps, hotter heat waves...bla bla bla.

Some place hot and humid year round is where I want to be...

Yeah but it's NOT man made "climate change", besides the data was manipulated to support their false claims. I wouldn't mind being in Australia myself.

It's been ass cold the past week here too and worse by the weekend. 4-8"+ of snow starting tomorrow (wed) night, with wind following. Yay. I might just leave the truck parked on thursday, stay home and watch it snow. I've been driving truck for 10 years now and I still hate (loathe, despise, etc) driving a big truck in the winter as much now as I did on day one. I stocked up on fuel additive, alcohol (the drinking kind and air line kind) and long undies...

I just read an article about how this winter is shaping up to be the coldest in 25 years, if not 40.

Luckily I've got access to a backhoe with cab/heat to plow the driveway and whatnot.

I've never worried about the weather, and it's never stopped me from going where I need to go. If the loads cancel, I'll be out playing in the snow in one of the pickups. I LOVE driving in the snow & ice....don't care if it's the big truck, a pickup, and I've even been known to head out in the snow & ice on the motorcycle.

I just don't like the cold. As soon as the snow quits flyin' and the roads are all clear, I'm ready for it to warm back up. :thumb:

Rowdy-take off one elbow on your exhaust and put a piece of flex on it. run in to blow on your hyd. tank. Will warm fluid quick.

Did that when I was in CT. running a garbage truck. Out the door at 3 am and its very cold, and dark.

I have also dumped some kerosene into the hyd tank. But that can hurt some seals

Just my .02

Oh we are expecting a freeze here tonite. Don't know if this Florida truck will want to start.

That sounds loud. Did you run it down the road like that? Or did you just do that to warm up the fluid and then reconnect it? On a trash truck, I'd imagine the hydraulic oil gets up to temp eventually...so "helping" it along in the morning would be fine. In a dump, though, the pump is only running a minute or two at a time...then it's shut off for a while. The oil never really gets up to temp, and it'll cool off again while you are driving to get your next load anyway.

That sounds loud. Did you run it down the road like that? Or did you just do that to warm up the fluid and then reconnect it? On a trash truck, I'd imagine the hydraulic oil gets up to temp eventually...so "helping" it along in the morning would be fine. In a dump, though, the pump is only running a minute or two at a time...then it's shut off for a while. The oil never really gets up to temp, and it'll cool off again while you are driving to get your next load anyway.

Didn't really think this thru for your situation. Garbage truck hyd tank was on top. Disconnect AFTER muffler. Did run the truck like that for a while-til sun came up.

Yeah traveling will cool it off.

Alcohol will help you and the truck

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I've never worried about the weather, and it's never stopped me from going where I need to go. If the loads cancel, I'll be out playing in the snow in one of the pickups. I LOVE driving in the snow & ice....don't care if it's the big truck, a pickup, and I've even been known to head out in the snow & ice on the motorcycle.

I just don't like the cold. As soon as the snow quits flyin' and the roads are all clear, I'm ready for it to warm back up. :thumb:

I love driving my pickup in the snow, just not the big truk. Most of the time I'll look for an excuse to go for a ride when it's snowing...I feel invinsible in my Chevy... B)

But the cold...you can have it. I'd probably like snow if it would fall when it was 80 degrees.

I love driving my pickup in the snow. Most of the time I'll look for an excuse to go for a ride when it's snowing...I feel invinsible in my Chevy... B)

Well I'll be, I thought I was the only one. :lol: The first real snow we got I accidentally did a 360 while leaving the house. Later on the day I was getting her sideways. B) My mom doesn't like me driving in the snow...Party pooper. :pat:

Well I'll be, I thought I was the only one. :lol: The first real snow we got I accidentally did a 360 while leaving the house. Later on the day I was getting her sideways. B) My mom doesn't like me driving in the snow...Party pooper. :pat:

LAWRENCE-GET IN THE HOUSE.....NOW.

YOUR GROUNDED

I love the pickup 'cause it'll go anywhere in the snow. But what's more fun is my Geo...with front wheel drive and the e-brake on the console I can get some speed goin, yank up on the e-brake and gas it and do some wicked donuts. :banana:

I love the pickup 'cause it'll go anywhere in the snow. But what's more fun is my Geo...with front wheel drive and the e-brake on the console I can get some speed goin, yank up on the e-brake and gas it and do some wicked donuts. :banana:

awwww...screw that front wheel drive crap. :thumbsdown:

I had P195/75R14's on a 2wd 4-banger '86 Ford Ranger....may as well been slicks, cuz there sure as heck wasn't much tread on them tires. Got me everywhere I needed to go without any trouble in 8" of snow. No weight in the back, either. That truck was dang near unstoppable in the snow. It's in pieces right now as I'm rebuilding it...gonna have a 289 from a '66 Mustang under the hood and a new cab...prolly be 4wd, too...

The F250 is a tank...33x12.50x16.5 BFG TA/KO all terrains....4wd.....460 cid. Even in 2wd, I can go just about anywhere I need to....but in 4wd, it's unstoppable. :dwave:

The '92 Ranger is fun, too...mostly because it's only got 3 brakes. There's no brake line to the front right wheel...so I can stand on the brakes as hard as I want and still control it around the corners. I've got 215/75/15 Dayton All Terrains on it...2wd like the '86, but a v-6 under the hood.

Both the '92 Ranger and the '96 F250 can do donuts just fine on DRY pavement... :banana: Who needs snow when ya got horsepower? :idunno: Tires last a little longer in the snow, though... :blush:

awwww...screw that front wheel drive crap. :thumbsdown:

I bought the Geo a while back as a beat around car for $350. When I saw the ad in the paper I was hoping 2-door hatchback but instead its a 4-door. I live in town and have to drive out to the farm for my truck everyday...a whopping 2 1/2 miles one way. So I thought I'd get that car to save on gas and on my pickup.

My 5 year old daughter calls it the "beater car" and I told her it's going to be her first car. B)

The truck has 285/75/16 BFG All-Terrains...probably one of the best all around tires I've had.

I just bought 8 BFG drive tires for the big truck a couple months back...nice tire also.

I bought the Geo a while back as a beat around car for $350. When I saw the ad in the paper I was hoping 2-door hatchback but instead its a 4-door. I live in town and have to drive out to the farm for my truck everyday...a whopping 2 1/2 miles one way. So I thought I'd get that car to save on gas and on my pickup.

My 5 year old daughter calls it the "beater car" and I told her it's going to be her first car. B)

The truck has 285/75/16 BFG All-Terrains...probably one of the best all around tires I've had.

I just bought 8 BFG drive tires for the big truck a couple months back...nice tire also.

I run Michelins on the big truck and on the motorcycle...ain't seen a BFG truck tire that comes close to the XDE M/S* drives or XZE2 steers.

28/32 tread depth on the drives

l_e062c98ea06f46298a7dd73b88b917ac.jpg

22/32 tread depth on the steers

l_3770e54af56d49cab054b17402d50bf6.jpg

75 mph speed rated & H load rating, too :thumb:

I run Michelins on the big truck and on the motorcycle...ain't seen a BFG truck tire that comes close to the XDE M/S* drives or XZE2 steers.

28/32 tread depth on the drives

l_e062c98ea06f46298a7dd73b88b917ac.jpg

22/32 tread depth on the steers

l_3770e54af56d49cab054b17402d50bf6.jpg

75 mph speed rated & H load rating, too thumb.gif

B. F. Goodrich Tire division is owned by the Michelin Rubber Co. Has been since Goodrich exited the tire market in 1996.

Goodrich only manufactures rubber products for the defense, and space industies along with scientific experiments.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I run Michelins on the big truck and on the motorcycle...ain't seen a BFG truck tire that comes close to the

75 mph speed rated & H load rating, too :thumb:

My pockets aren't deep enough for Michelin rubber.

I can't tell you the last time I had my truck up to 75...now that IL FINALLY raised the truck limit to 65, I'm pretty content with it and especially since there's been some impressive potholes open up as of late... :pat: