Went For My First Ride:

Rob

I went to the farm store this morning and acquired a 18" piece of hydraulic line to do away with the air dryer that is rusted through. I just reconnected to the place were the line was tapped to install the dryer. After starting the truck, and getting out of it for a few feet, the damned air horn starts to blasting, (loudly). I work the lanyard and it finally shuts up. After a couple of minutes go past the air gauge will only show 30 psi, but will not climb any further. After shutting the truck off and listening for gross air leaks, (none found) I restart the truck. Still not building air by the indications, I smack the air gauge in the dash with the ball of my hand and it instantly jumps to 90 psi but no higher. Turns out the gauge is defective and even when the truck is not running with no air in the system, it still shows 90 pounds.

Well after letting her, (Target) warm up for over an hour, and everything stabilized, out around the property I go. It took about 30 seconds to figger out this is going to be one son of a bitch truck to be comfortable in. My overhanging gut will not stay away from the steering wheel, and the springs in the seat are not strong enough to support me as they bottom out with just the gravel in the driveway. After a few trips back and forth in the driveway, I turned onto the highway planning to drive a mile or so and turn around, but these tires only look round by appearance. They are not!! I thought my head was gonna be beating on the bottom of the roof panel but the lead in my ass kept me put at about 10 mph. Anyways, I drove around the property for several minutes wanting to get the temperature up in the engine. There is about 1500 or so acres of empty farm ground in all directions and I drove all over it. I noticed the temperature rapidly climbing as I was getting close to the shop and upon raising the hood to check for a reason, I noticed coolant running from the upper radiator hose fitting on the upper water jacket adapter. A worm drive hose clamp had busted through the threads and this was the problem. After dumping a total eight gallons of coolant, (50/50 mix) back into it, back across the fields again I go. Two hours and the engine doesn't even think of getting hot!! Really can't drive more than about 10mph due to rough terrain so I left the main in second, and the aux in low so the engine would turn about 1500 rpm steady.

Upon stomping the brake pedal fully to attempt locking the wheels, two pancakes blew out promptly. Now the truck doesn't stop as well as it should, but it can be stopped. All of the brakes are incorrectly adjusted. One is the Rt. front wheel, the other the Lt. rear rear. The rears are rotochambers and the pancake itself is almost a hundred bucks anymore. I'll just go with a 24/24 spring brake chambers and replace them all at the same time on the rears. This truck has 38,000 rears and I've put the 24/24's on several trucks in the past replacing the type 20 rotochambers. Just takes a couple more valves and lines to function.

Overall, a pleasant experience. Feels nice to actually have something I can drive. As mentioned I've already purchased plates and the insurance is in place. I'll order tires pretty quickly as these are nothing to be trusted and certainly will beat you to death. I was really surprised how easily the duplex transmission shifts. It is very smooth on the up, and downshift with virtually no learning curve for me. It is strange the auxillary shifter is on the other side of the main though. Repetition brought familiarity. The clutch is quiet and doesn't hop when engaging. It is almost as smooth as you would expect a pickup truck to be.

I really didn't notice too many seepage leaks but there are a few. I will get the pressure washer after the engine once I get the fenders off the truck for rebuilding. There has got to be 20 pounds of grime and dirt on the engine/suspension in the front of the truck. The rear is very clean in comparison to the front.

Couple other things I noticed: The tractor protection valve will need replaced. It is the TP-2 style which is long obsolete. When the flipper is on the "emergency" selection, it leaks terrible out the bottom. When in the "normal" position, it does not leak but you need to have the gladhands stowed on the holder at the rear of the cab. The front end does not really feel tight. It is not like a single wheel is loose but rather the whole assembly. I've not looked at anything so it could be the drag link, or steering gear play. On the shop floor there is no noticable play, or noise when the wheels are turned lock to lock, but a small road imperfection will try to take the steering wheel from your control sharply.

Actually made my day.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

sounds like the first time I drove the mixer on the road. I'd made many laps around the shop and when I finally got it licensed and insured I was gonna drive it home but it bounced so bad I had to make a u-turn and take it back to the shop at H.H.Moore's. Had to replace all the studs on the front wheels because that short trip bent every one of them. The only thing those front tires were good for was keeping the axle off the ground.

Be sure to post more pictures after you pressure wash it and wax it.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

sounds like the first time I drove the mixer on the road. I'd made many laps around the shop and when I finally got it licensed and insured I was gonna drive it home but it bounced so bad I had to make a u-turn and take it back to the shop at H.H.Moore's. Had to replace all the studs on the front wheels because that short trip bent every one of them. The only thing those front tires were good for was keeping the axle off the ground.

Be sure to post more pictures after you pressure wash it and wax it.

Why? They were only flat-spotted on 1 side....probably only affected less than 10% of the tire, so they should still be +90% usable :tease:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Why? They were only flat-spotted on 1 side....probably only affected less than 10% of the tire, so they should still be +90% usable :tease:

I still have them, they're laying out here by the shed. You're certainly welcome to 'em, come pick 'em up anytime.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I still have them, they're laying out here by the shed. You're certainly welcome to 'em, come pick 'em up anytime.

And please stop by to get mine too. That way you'll have a full set and a few spares!!

Otherwise, they just make a lot of smoke.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There's nothing like the smell of burning tires in the morning.

That's very true but usually best when their detached from the truck!!

Rob