B-model Differentials

Hi guys, I have my '64 B-61 on the road now and it runs well, but I have one problem. With the 300 plus under the hood, coupled up to the original quad box tranny, I can only get 50 MPH and the engine is tach'ed out at 2100 rpm's.. How do you tell the ratio's of the diff's??? do any of you have any idea of what ratio I should drop in to get 55-60 mph on the road. I want to pull my trailer with my old cats, but I don't have a whole week to get to the shows!!! I will post some pictures so you guys can see it, it really turned out nice..thanks.

The ratio is stamped in the carrier housing, on the flat area on the front side to the bottom right. If yours is on 11.00x22 rubber it prob. has 7.49 ratio, that was common in lots of B61 10 wheelers back then, & would give approx 52-54 mph at 2100. If it's on 11.00x24 rubber it may have 8.24 ratio, that would also put you in the same ballpark as far as mph. 6.34 is an available ratio for the crd 112 & 113 carriers (which I'm just assuming here is whats in there) and we had a truck with that ratio on 11.00x22 which if I remember correctly was capable of about 65 mph @ 2100 rpm. Also, if you go to the Eaton Fuller Roadranger website there is a ratio/mph calculator there to determine road speed @ a given rpm depending on trans high gear ratio, rear axle ratio, tire size etc. Hope this helps, looking forward to seeing the "completed" pics.

Herb

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

The ratio is stamped in the carrier housing, on the flat area on the front side to the bottom right. If yours is on 11.00x22 rubber it prob. has 7.49 ratio, that was common in lots of B61 10 wheelers back then, & would give approx 52-54 mph at 2100. If it's on 11.00x24 rubber it may have 8.24 ratio, that would also put you in the same ballpark as far as mph. 6.34 is an available ratio for the crd 112 & 113 carriers (which I'm just assuming here is whats in there) and we had a truck with that ratio on 11.00x22 which if I remember correctly was capable of about 65 mph @ 2100 rpm. Also, if you go to the Eaton Fuller Roadranger website there is a ratio/mph calculator there to determine road speed @ a given rpm depending on trans high gear ratio, rear axle ratio, tire size etc. Hope this helps, looking forward to seeing the "completed" pics.

Herb

Thanks Herb for your help, I am going to find out what the ratio is and then look for something "taller" if I can...it runs well but is just too slow...as soon as I get the pictures downloaded I will get them on here...

Thanks Herb for your help, I am going to find out what the ratio is and then look for something "taller" if I can...it runs well but is just too slow...as soon as I get the pictures downloaded I will get them on here...

My yellow dog has 10:00X20 rubber with 6.34:1 rears and runs a "blistering" 58 MPH against the governor.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey y'all, Herb was correct, I looked on my diff's and it is 7.49 ratio......what do you think I should go to for some road speed..I have in on 11.00 x 24.5 tubeless radials, but it originally came with 11.00 x 22 rubber....tell me what you guys think..thanks, Jeff.

Extremely beautiful! Looks just like it probably did in 1964.

I believe Superdog is correct about the 5.73 ratio.

I had a couple of DM 690's with 5.73 rears on 10.00x20 with T2070 7 speed which has an overdrive which is comparable to 5th hi split in a quad box. They would run 68 mph @ 2000 rpm, but on your 11-24.5 it'll be a bit faster, also your engine runs 2100 rpms, so that'll give a little more speed too.

Might want to check with your local Mack Dealer, the 5.73 gears may not work in your current 7.49 carriers. Could be a difference in the pinion housing due to the depth being different due to the different diameter of the ring gear.

Perhaps you could exchange the present carriers for 5.73 carriers.

I have purchased exchange rear differentials from Weller truck parts in the past. Next day service, they deliver a rebuilt & pick up the old one. Can find their phone # if you need it, otherwise they advertise in most of the truck sale magazines.

Herb

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

phew I just checked em on my b81 ..9.02 ratio if i am reading the right #.. this is a 58k set CRD 93 - 133-14 it was lowbed tractor for moving heavy cranes/ machinery etc.. man a 9.02 i bet 45mph would be high speed in this truck..end673 natural with quad box..what is the top overdrive gear ratio in the quad box?.. .68?... I will definately be swapping em out ... and putting in set of 4.17 or even 3.90 if i can get em.. i plan on runnning it with a 12v71 and allison 740..if it works out ok..heck even if i leave it mack engine and trans i still would like about 85mph top speed if possible..what ratio would i need then it has 11x24 rubber now i probably will swap to 24.5 tall radials...

keep the thread going

Thanks

Deo

Keep on keeping on...