Mack 1988 Superliner

markie603

I have a 1988 mack superliner econoline w\a mack transmission. My question is what is the shift pattern for it? I seem to have only 8 forward gears. I was told it was a thirteen speed .Then was also told it was a ten speed and to split all 5 gears. The shift is 5 speed direct overdrive nutruel w/5 and reverse w/5 With a differential on the dash only.

Edited by markd603

Truck Driver Cass A Operater Heavy I Move Dirt Work 7 Days Loving Life

Best thing to do is crawl under your truck and get the model number off the transmission,that way we know exactly what you have and can tell you how to properly shift it.Should be stamped on left side,If it is a 12 speed,should TRTXL1070A if I rember right.

Truck Driver Cass A Operater Heavy I Move Dirt Work 7 Days Loving Life

Thank You SuperDog I's Dark Right Now

Use a flashlight.

Could be a TRDL1070 10 speed if it doesn't have a 2nd stick or a dash switch for deep reduction.

That "differential" switch that you're referring to sounds like it's a power divider lock.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I know nothing about later model Mack transmissions, but on a lot of overdrive transmissions 4th. is back towards the seat and 5th. is towards the dash.Could this be the problem?..just a thought (Paul Van Scott).

When you find out what trans. it is I saw these shift pattern decals on e-bay.

http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Pro-Gear-and-Transmission-Inc_Mack-Shift-Pattern-Decals_W0QQ_fsubZ277834018QQ_sidZ131090448QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322#item3ca108a75d

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The Only Thing The Side is MACK TRANSISSON MAXITOROUE

Get out your wire brush and some solvent.

Clean off around the left side of the trans main case, about halfway up from the bottom and you should find the number.

It's stamped in the aluminum, so it may be hard to find unless you really clean it off and look carefully.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

• 9 months later...

I have a 1988 mack superliner econoline w\a mack transmission. My question is what is the shift pattern for it? I seem to have only 8 forward gears. I was told it was a thirteen speed .Then was also told it was a ten speed and to split all 5 gears. The shift is 5 speed direct overdrive nutruel w/5 and reverse w/5 With a differential on the dash only.

I have a truck that is very similar, with the maxitorque transmission. There is a reverse range, a low range, and a direct range. 5 gears per range. For most operations, you can just drive in direct or reverse, and shift the truck like a 5 speed. The low range tops out at maybe 30 mph, and I don't think you're even supposed to drive it more than first gear... If I have a really heavy load or am in soft stuff, sometimes I'll use low range to get started in first gear and then shift the range lever to direct on the fly. I know this is an old post but I figure'd I throw in my 2 cents. The diff switch on the dash is undoubtedly a power divider lock, as mentioned by the other people who replied to this.

Sure sounds like a 12 speed, shift 1-5 and split each gear, use low hole on dash in low gear only shifter will lock into left side of pattern when compound shifts so that deep reduction can only be used in low gear, flip switch on dash to release shifter and return to direct. My 12 speed in my '88 didn't like splitting 4th and 5th either but if you split in neutral instead of preselecting the shift it helped sometimes to keep it from dragging. I assume there is some way to fix this but I never worried about it because I was finally able to make it sync myself with some practice. Also TRTXL1070A used two sticks and a TRTXL1070B used the air shift dash switch.