Altanator

I have changed over to 12v system but need still to install a Altanator. I know Larry and Rick Harper talked about a difftent bracket or a fabricated pice to align the pullys. that seams easy to fabricate but what I would like to know is if I can use a altanator from a R model.

tipical story at the dealer. they need a vin # ,part number, or a old altanator to compare. My B model Vin # wont work as it had a genarator.

any tips?

Thanks

Trent

Hi Trent, This past winter I got rid of the generator on my B61 which has an END673. In it's place is a Leece Neville alternator with a + or - ground setup. The R model bracket they sold me (big bucks) didn't work no matter how much I played with it trying to get the pulleys to line up. I ended up using the generator bracket with a long bolt and shimming the gaps with pipe and washers to tighten up the alternator base. Also the pulley they sold me was too large and at an idle the alternator didn't put out enough juice so once again back to the generator for the old double pulley which was smaller in diameter and puts out great at an idle to full throttle. They told me that the circuit breakers in the series paralell might not handle the increased current from the 100 amp alternator but so far so good, no problems there. And so far no problems with the generator bracket shimmed out after a lot of use especially lately. Seven weeks ago I put my DM tandem in a body shop who told me that it would be done in two weeks so the B has been doing all of the work lately. Hope this helps you some :thumb: Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

I have changed over to 12v system but need still to install a Altanator. I know Larry and Rick Harper talked about a difftent bracket or a fabricated pice to align the pullys. that seams easy to fabricate but what I would like to know is if I can use a altanator from a R model.

tipical story at the dealer. they need a vin # ,part number, or a old altanator to compare. My B model Vin # wont work as it had a genarator.

any tips?

ThanksYou can use alternator from the R model are you going pos. or neg. ground? The newer alts. are neg ground but some can be used either way, you can also use the R model bracket you just have to elongate the mounting holes so you can slide the bracket up to align the pulleys. Terry :thumb:

Trent

thanks for the tip. I test fitted a altanator out of a junk R model tonight and it looks like it may work for me. I just hope they can get a part number off of it? It looks like I will be able to make a long bolt and get a pipe spacer like you said you made. I will have to see if the pully is the right size for the applacation. this alt has a 2 slot pully that looks identical to the old genarator. if all goes well It should work.

this was 2 easy so far LOL.. knock on wood

Trent

Rick,

Tell me more about a 22si and drop that part number for the bracket!

My 237 needs a bit more juice than my generator will put out.

Does the Alt. have an internal Reg?

Thanks,

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

I went to my mack dealer tonight and the parts guy found the same alt that I borrowed from the yard. Its a leece neville. They have a sale on them this month for $140. + tax. that sounds like a good deal to me?. I can make it bolt up easy to the gen bracket so I think I will be going back to buy it tomorrow morning. I can get a smaller pully if need be from a local rebuilder so we will see if it works right? for refrence the local electric repair shop wanted to charge 200 for a "new rebuilt" altanator.

Trent

thanks for the part number rick. I bought the alt from my mack dealer on sat installed the pully and all looks good so far. I am also going to use the gen mount bracket and use a pipe spacer to keep the alt from bouncing around. I will also need to get a set of shorter belts as the alt is trying to hang off the engine to far with the genarator belts. simple fixes but lots of running around.

one other Question

I see the positive post that goes to the batt cables

ground post to the frame rails

then there are 2 posts and Im not exactly shure what they do. what would I hook those posts to???

thanks for the part number rick. I bought the alt from my mack dealer on sat installed the pully and all looks good so far. I am also going to use the gen mount bracket and use a pipe spacer to keep the alt from bouncing around. I will also need to get a set of shorter belts as the alt is trying to hang off the engine to far with the genarator belts. simple fixes but lots of running around.

one other Question

I see the positive post that goes to the batt cables

ground post to the frame rails

then there are 2 posts and Im not exactly shure what they do. what would I hook those posts to???

Some alternators have/had a seperate positive and ground for the voltage regulator. Did you get the Delco 22si? If so its a one wire, leave the other two posts alone. If its a leese then goto www.prestolite.com goto support then technical bulletins. I see that some have AC taps, excitor and indicator light terminals so find the diagram for your model.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

All that was in the box was a alt a warrenty card and a plastic bag to keep her dry :(

I called the maker of the alt and they explained how it gets wired up

just an FYI the part number for the Lecce Nevile I bought is 110-444 it is a special promotion item that is selling cheeper. thats what the tech guy said ??

Trent

All that was in the box was a alt a warrenty card and a plastic bag to keep her dry :(

I called the maker of the alt and they explained how it gets wired up

just an FYI the part number for the Lecce Nevile I bought is 110-444 it is a special promotion item that is selling cheeper. thats what the tech guy said ??

Trent

You gotta use the internet to your advantage. With the part # i pulled up all the info you could possibly need from www.prestolite.com! Here is the link for your alternator: http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/spe...resh=1145919256

The posts are Positive, negative, an AC output and a fourth which is a diode trio output. the trio and AC are connected to the regulator only.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 1 year later...