What is a "power tower"?

ThaddeusW

Hey all,

Was looking at a nice superdog on truck paper that has a 4 speed brownie behind a 15 speed. The thing is it also lists a power tower. I herd term power tower before, seems related to brownies and twin stick transmissions. Any ideas?

Here is the listing

One sweet lookin superdog. Too bad it's 36 grand. Saw another good lookin long wheel base superdog for 19 grand with a cat in the dog house and a 15 speed.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

A power tower is driven from the input shaft of an auxillary transmission. This means that you can put the auxillary transmission in neutral, and drive the power tower output shaft with as many speeds as you have in your main transmission, ie. 4,5,6,7,10,13 etc. With the auxillary in neutral, the truck will not move as the output of the Brownie is not turning, hence the main driveshaft to rear axles. They are great for heavy winching applications.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information guys, makes sence now since that dog has a winch.

The term power tower also applys to the framework(headache rack) that your winch assembly is encased or attached to. Most of the heavier units have spots where you can attach your cable to so you can use a snatch block adding more "power"as in pulling power to your winch. Safety note:never stand anywhere in the line of fire in case your cable breaks,also it helps to drape a heavy blanket or something similar over your cable to stop the wiplash effect in case of breakage.

• 10 years later...
On 3/28/2006 at 9:26 PM, Rob said:

A power tower is driven from the input shaft of an auxillary transmission. This means that you can put the auxillary transmission in neutral, and drive the power tower output shaft with as many speeds as you have in your main transmission, ie. 4,5,6,7,10,13 etc. With the auxillary in neutral, the truck will not move as the output of the Brownie is not turning, hence the main driveshaft to rear axles. They are great for heavy winching applications.

Rob

Doesn't a Mack 12 speed basically do the same thing?

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.