kscarbel2

BMT Benefactor
  • Content count

    8,278
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    38

kscarbel2 last won the day on January 17

kscarbel2 had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

2,279 Excellent

About kscarbel2

  • Rank
    BMT Certified Know-It-All!
  • Birthday

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

4,147 profile views
  1. At any moment in our lifetimes, I doubt we've ever heard more than 15 percent of the truth.
  2. We used to have some knowledgeable Mack salesmen up there who could steer you in the right direction. Have you spoken to one at your local dealer?
  3. The Guardian / January 23, 2017 Donald Trump will not release his tax returns even after repeated promises to do so following a supposed audit, senior presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway said on Sunday. The president will break a 40-year tradition and not show Americans the extent of his financial interests and obligations. Conway said the Trump administration would do nothing about calls to release the information. “The White House response is that he’s not going to release his tax returns,” she said. “We litigated this all through the election.” Conway contradicted polls that show most Americans want to see the returns when she said: “People didn’t care. [I’m a American, and I do care to see my elected employee’s tax returns] “They voted for him, and let me make this very clear: most Americans … are very focused on what their tax returns will look like while President Trump is in office, not what his look like.” Last week, a Washington Post-ABC poll showed that 74% of Americans, including 53% of Republicans, want to see Trump’s returns. In October, a CNN poll found that 73% of registered voters, including 49% of Republicans, wanted to see the tax returns. A petition on the White House website that calls for the immediate release of the returns and “all information needed to verify emoluments clause compliance” had 218,465 signatures as of Sunday afternoon. The returns could show the breadth of Trump’s financial interests around the world, including where he does business, who his partners are and to whom he owes money. Ethics experts fear Trump’s business liabilities could affect White House policy and how the president spends taxpayer dollars: for instance, how he may deal with banks that own hundreds of millions of his debt, treat foreign nations that curry favor or become real estate partners, or reshape domestic policy to accommodate his interests. Earlier this month, Trump repeated his campaign contention that he would not release the returns because “they’re under audit”. No law prohibits the release of tax returns during an audit; Trump’s lawyers have said he is under audit, but they have not provided any proof that he is actually under audit. During the campaign, Trump repeatedly promised to release his tax returns after the supposed audit. In May, for instance, he said: “As soon as the audit ends I’ll release my returns.” He also tweeted: “I would release my tax returns when audit is complete, not after election!” In October, Trump’s 1995 tax returns were published by the New York Times, which acquired the records through an anonymous source and verified them with the businessman’s former accountant. The returns showed that Trump lost $916m in a single year and could have avoided paying federal taxes for 18 years, a charge he did not deny. Conway insisted that Trump and his family “are complying with all the ethical rules, everything they need to do to step away from his businesses and be a full-time president”. There is no record that Trump has stepped away from any of his businesses, which owe hundreds of millions in debts to large banks, span across the US, Europe and Asia, and which may have already put him in violation of the constitution’s prohibition against payments from foreign governments. In a press conference earlier this month, aides refused to let reporters see documents that allegedly catalogued his efforts to separate himself from his businesses. Trump has refused to divest or set up a blind trust, instead saying without evidence that he has handed control of his companies to his two adult sons. Ethics attorneys have repeatedly said Trump has not taken effective steps to prevent conflicts of interest.
  4. Best-ever Kenworth on show New Zealand Truck & Driver / January 2017 Kenworth’s new T610 conventional model will have its New Zealand launch (and its first public showing worldwide) at next month’s Transport & Heavy Equipment (THE) Expo at Mystery Creek. The T610 is reckoned by Kenworth Australia to be its “best truck yet” – AND the North American make’s biggest single investment ever in an Australian truck. The T610 (and its T610SAR variant) has also been subjected to three times more testing than any previous Aussie Kenworth, the company says. In almost a decade of development it’s been the subject of more than 100,000 hours of design work….and over 10 million kilometres of testing and validation. The result, it says, is Kenworth’s “most innovative, durable and productive truck yet.” New Zealand distributor Southpac Trucks will have three T610s as the centrepiece of its stand at the THE Expo – daycab 6x4 and 8x4 T610s and a T610SAR 6x4 sleeper. Southpac general sales manager Richard Smart says the T610 is an important new model for the NZ market – replacing the current on-highway T409s and T609s. The first customer trucks are scheduled to arrive here within a few weeks of the show. The T610 is powered by Cummins’ new X15 Euro 5 engine, with ratings up to 600-horsepower (447kW) and 2050 lb ft (2779Nm) of peak torque. The X15 has Cummins’ advanced dynamic efficient powertrain (ADEPT) technology – an electronics suite designed to interact with Eaton AMTs, “dynamically adapting to conditions for fuel-efficient operation, with no impact on productivity,” says Kenworth. .
  5. The traditional way of reporting on a president is dead. And Trump’s press secretary killed it. The Washington Post / January 22, 2017 The presidency is not a reality show, but President Trump on his first full day in office made clear that he’s still obsessed with being what he once proudly called “a ratings machine.” He cares enough about it to send his press secretary, Sean Spicer, out to brazenly lie to the media in his first official briefing. “This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration — period — both in person and around the globe,” Spicer said. And he added a scolding about widespread reports that differ from his evidence-free assessment: “These attempts to lessen the enthusiasm of the inauguration are shameful and wrong.” Crowd size experts estimate Trump’s audience at far fewer than the million or more that Trump is claiming, and at far less than the size of the following day’s women’s march, which the new president has said little about. And side-by-side photographs showed the contrast between the comparatively thin gathering for Trump’s inauguration and the record-setting one in 2009 for former president Barack Obama’s first. Ari Fleischer, a former George W. Bush press secretary, saw Saturday’s bizarre session for what it was. “This is called a statement you’re told to make by the President. And you know the President is watching,” Fleischer wrote. (MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski pegged it as “Sean Spicer’s first hostage video.”) The mainstream media, including The Washington Post, appropriately made clear note of the falsehoods about crowd size. The New York Times called out “false claims” in a prominent headline, and many broadcast journalists challenged Spicer immediately — although they didn’t get a chance to do so to his face, since he took no questions. CNN wisely chose not to air the briefing in full, but to report on it and to show parts, providing context. Fox News showed it in its full glory, infomercial style. Some journalists, afterward, sounded stunned at what had transpired. “Astonishing,” said Jim Acosta of CNN. “Jaw meet floor” was the reaction of Glenn Thrush of the New York Times. The reaction is understandable. Some semblance of truth from the White House ought to be reasonable enough, especially on Day Two. But nothing about this should shock. Anyone — citizen or journalist — who is surprised by false claims from the new inhabitant of the Oval Office hasn’t been paying attention. That was reinforced when Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway told “Meet the Press” Sunday that Spicer had been providing “alternative facts” to what the media had reported, making it clear we’ve gone full Orwell. Official words do matter, but they shouldn’t be what news organizations pay most attention to, as they try to present the truth about a new administration. White House press briefings are “access journalism,” in which official statements — achieved by closeness to the source — are taken at face value and breathlessly reported as news. And that is over. Dead. Spicer’s statement should be seen for what it is: Remarks made over the casket at the funeral of access journalism. As Jessica Huseman of ProPublica put it: “Journalists aren’t going to get answers from Spicer. We are going to get answers by digging. By getting our hands dirty. So let’s all do that.” She’s right. So was Tim O’Brien, executive editor of Bloomberg View and a Trump biographer, who urged journalists to remember that the White House briefing room is “spoon-feeding and Trump is a habitual fabulist.” There’s a deeper story here, beyond a single briefing, no matter how memorable. Saturday made clearer than ever that President Trump intends to make the American media his foremost enemy. During his first official visit to the CIA, Trump once again attacked the media, as he did throughout the campaign as he blacklisted news organizations and called reporters “scum.” Journalists shouldn’t rise to the bait and decide to treat Trump as an enemy. Recalling at all times that their mission is truth-telling and holding public officials accountable, they should dig in, paying far more attention to actions than to sensational tweets or briefing-room lies — while still being willing to call out falsehoods clearly when they happen. They also should quickly acknowledge and correct their own inevitable errors, as Time’s Zeke Miller did — multiple times and with an apology — after erroneously reporting that a bust of Martin Luther King Jr. had been removed from the Oval Office. That didn’t keep the president from making Miller’s reporting error a major issue as he raged during his CIA visit: “This is how dishonest the media is.” Trump wants a flat-out war with the nation’s media for one well-calculated reason: Because he believes it will continue to serve his political purposes, as it has for months. Journalists should respond by doing their jobs responsibly, fairly and fearlessly, in service of the public good. Somebody has to be the grown-up in the room. We’ve just been reminded of who it won’t be. .
  6. ForConstructionPros / January 20, 2017 . .
  7. I've been taught a new term, "alternative facts". ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kellyanne Conway: “Sean Spicer, our press secretary -- gave 'alternative facts'." NBC’s Chuck Todd: “Alternative facts aren't facts, they are falsehoods." ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The message Spicer was told to give made him appear ridiculous. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/us/politics/trump-white-house-briefing-inauguration-crowd-size.html https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/20/us/politics/trump-inauguration-crowd.html https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/22/us/politics/womens-march-trump-crowd-estimates.html
  8. Where are you located ?
  9. Thank you for clarifying. I’m with you 500 percent. I don’t think Trump’s wording was clear enough. Standing outside the box, I can see how his “America first” words could be interpreted differently depending on whether one is inside or outside the US. Speaking of illegal immigrants, if king for a day, I would deport EVERY one. Enter the U.S. legally.......or don't enter. And, I would nullify the U.S. citizenship of every individual born to illegal immigrants in the US. I am ALL for spending U.S. taxpayer money in the United States, rather than continuing a decades long culture of financing the rest of the world. At the end of FY 2017 the gross US federal government debt is estimated to be $20.1 trillion. I have a real problem with that. We should operate like a business and keep our books “balanced”. We can’t afford to be the world’s policeman anymore. BUT, we then must ensure that our armed forces, and its "tools", are second to none, for those moments when we need to "reach out" and send a message (nip something in the bud). Yes, if we hadn’t abandoned an isolationist tone and entered WW2, the world would be a very different place today. But that’s not today’s situation. Following WW2, the Marshall Plan and the rebuilding of Japan worked out well. But since then, U.S. global “aid” is beyond “out of control”. For example, why are we giving Israel $38 billion over the nest 10 years. One of the world’s wealthiest country’s with foreign donors constantly pumping money into it, Israel has no need for U.S. “aid”. There was a time when Israel needed assistance, and the U.S. had the money to offer. But today, Israel no longer needs “aid”, and we don’t have the money. During the Arab-Israeli Six-Day War, the naval and air forces of Israel attacked the U.S. flagged Belmont-class reconnaissance ship U.S.S. Liberty while it cruised in international waters off the Sinai Peninsula, murdering 34 Americans and wounding 171. With friends like that, who needs enemies? The U.S. taxpayer has invested hundreds of millions in an Israeli air defense system known as Iron Dome. Why? Here’s a major sore. We developed a next generation F-16 II. The U.S. Air Force declined to buy it. Our employees in Washington agreed to allow Israel to produce it for themselves. It was called the Lavi program, and go figure, the U.S. taxpayer funded it. The clincher: Israel didn’t build it, but secretly sold the design information to...........China. And today, the Chengdu (Jian) J-10 fighter is our adversary in the South China Sea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:J-10a_zhas.png). Thank you Israel. Enjoying that dirty money? A March 1992 report by State Department inspector general Sherman Funk, "Report of Audit: Department of State Defense Trade Controls", states that alleged Israeli violations of US laws and regulations "cited and supported by reliable intelligence information show a systematic and growing pattern of unauthorized transfers ... dating back to about 1983". http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-12-28/news/1994362198_1_lavi-china-and-israel-klemow Israel again and again has transferred secret U.S. technology to........China. And its' U.S. lobbyists successfully bury it from the view of the U.S. masses. http://defensetech.org/2013/12/24/report-israel-passes-u-s-military-technology-to-china/ Again, with “friends” like that................ Israel has a me, me, me policy. I don’t want “my” tax dollars funding Israel. I’m not on Team Israel, rather, I’m on Team USA. Afghanistan, the U.S. taxpayer has spent billions so that Afghan farmers can peacefully harvest opium and send it to the US for refinement into heroin so that Americans can destroy their minds. Everything you ever wanted to know about U.S. taxpayer foreign aid http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/47330-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-us-foreign-assistance-budget/ The U.S. taxpayer provided (acknowledged) $35 billion of economic aid in 2014 http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/42614-the-us-provided-35-billion-of-economic-aid-in-2014/#comment-310964 The U.S. taxpayer provided (acknowledged) $35 billion of economic aid in 2016 http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2016/03/10/the-countries-set-to-receive-the-most-us-foreign-aid-in-2016-infographic/#6f1abf113433 Our employees in Washington say: Foreign assistance is aid given by the United States to other countries to support global peace, security, and development efforts, and provide humanitarian relief during times of crisis. It is a strategic, economic, and moral imperative for the United States and vital to U.S. national security. (http://beta.foreignassistance.gov/) So basically, they have a blank check to throw U.S. taxpayer money down around the world. After seeing the "official" amount, one wonders what the actual amount is.
  10. Matt Wood, Owner/Driver / January 20, 2017 Anyone who’s been rolling around Sydney over the last four decades may recall the International DCO tow truck owned by Retriever Towing. But, before it was hauling breakdowns and wrecks for a living it was owned by Vineyard based Don McGlinshie. From 1969 to 1974 Don ran across the paddock to Perth and anywhere in between in this rare cab over Inter. This DCO came back into Don’s possession in 2012 and has been painstakingly brought back to life. These days the old girl runs a BC3 Cummins and sports a 15-speed overdrive ‘box. And while the purists may bristle, the whole thing now sits on a W900 chassis with a KW Airglide rear end. Turn up the volume and listen to the old school burble and watch a bit of rolling history! Video - https://www.ownerdriver.com.au/industry-news/1701/wood-vid
  11. In turnabout, Volvo cancels worker layoffs at Pulaski County plant The Roanoke Times / January 19, 2017 On Thursday, workers at the Volvo Trucks North American truck manufacturing plant in Pulaski County received good news: Their layoffs had been canceled. In December, Volvo announced it would eliminate 500 jobs on its second shift, effective Feb. 13, so it could adjust production to market demand. The company has since decided to keep its two shifts. “We’ve continued to monitor the ongoing reduction in new truck inventory across the industry in the weeks since the original announcement, and we’re encouraged by the trend,” Volvo Trucks North America spokesman John Mies said Thursday night. “Based on this, we’ve decided not to go forward at this time with the previously announced reduction, so that we can maintain manufacturing flexibility as we continue to monitor the market situation.” Since 1990, the plant has announced at least 14 rounds of layoffs. There was an announcement in December 2015, then in July 2016 and, most recently, in December 2016.
  12. To the best of my knowledge, I can't think of any US content in the Valencia-built Transit Connect. Low US content is one reason USPS didn't buy it. Originally it was only built at Ford-Otosan, and there certainly was zero U.S. content. With the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, assembled in South Carolina from German-built SKD kits, the only American sourced part is the battery. Anyway, you'd be happier with a Transit Custom over a Transit Connect.