B-61 Waterpump

b61fred

Hey guys,

I was chasing down that thump noise that was heard through the air cleaner, adjusted the valves and all is well in that department, BUT.... I found this antifreeze puddle under the truck. I didn't think much about it because I figured it was loose hose, or the overflow from the radiator. I found it to be leaking from the weep hole on the pump. so.. I wanted to take it to the truck show at Spring mill this weekend, so I need a water pump NOW... I am going to find out if there is one anywhere that I can get.. If you guys can help I would be very thankfull....

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

I BOUGHT MY WATER PUMP FROM MY LOCAL TRUCK PARTS STORE IT WAS NOT THAT EXPENCIVE BUT THE CLERINCE BETWEN PUMP AND RAD IS VERY CLOSE I ENDED UP HAVEING TO REMOVE THE RAD TO GET TO SOME VERY TIGHT BOLTS. IF THE OLD ONE IS THUMPING I WOULDNT START IT AGEN IF THE BRING SEZES UP IT MAY PUT THE FAN INTO THE RAD.

I BOUGHT MY WATER PUMP FROM MY LOCAL TRUCK PARTS STORE IT WAS NOT THAT EXPENCIVE BUT THE CLERINCE BETWEN PUMP AND RAD IS VERY CLOSE I ENDED UP HAVEING TO REMOVE THE RAD TO GET TO SOME VERY TIGHT BOLTS. IF THE OLD ONE IS THUMPING I WOULDNT START IT AGEN IF THE BRING SEZES UP IT MAY PUT THE FAN INTO THE RAD.

if it is a 673 you can stillget it from mack

Hi,

Here is the update on the waterpump, I found several places that could get one, I contacted two mack dealers, one was $179.00 and the other was $195. I contacted a few NAPA stores and found one for $65.00. It had a picture in the book of three mack pumps, The only difference was the length of the shaft, this was called the short shaft. I was worried about it after what Mike Harbison posted but It was allready ordered at that point. The pump came in Friday afternoon and I put it on that evening, fit perfectly, It was made by cardone and came from Philly Pa. It is a all new casting, and I highly recommend it, I removed one off of the b75 parts truck and it was about 1/2 inch longer. As for rebuilding the old pump, I pressed apart the old pump and found the bearings were standard off the shelf bearings, the seal is something else, I don't know where a person could purchase this seal but the waterpump is defentantly rebuildable. I am going to try and find a seal and bearings and have a spare ready to go for me or someone else in an emergency. All is well now and thanks for everyones input!

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

• 2 weeks later...