Splitting R Model Chassis

ducky698

Hello, any one split a R model chassis? the one with inner and outer rails. I have this thing stripped and cant get the inner rail out of the outer rail, it does have rust between the two but am surprised to see it still together after 3 hours of argueing with it. pic attached is prior to cross beams out, i now have the two rails laying flat next to each other, would like to see 4 tho.

are they hard to get apart? any specific techniques?

any help would be great, thankyou

Grant

post-2194-1240237132_thumb.jpg

they can be a pita to split if the rust is bad. When the rails rust the inner rail tends to spread and pinch the outer rail. lots of prying to get it out sometimes, use a wedge and hammer it down the rail adding blocks behind it. hopefully once it starts coming out it will get easy.

Trent

they can be a pita to split if the rust is bad. When the rails rust the inner rail tends to spread and pinch the outer rail. lots of prying to get it out sometimes, use a wedge and hammer it down the rail adding blocks behind it. hopefully once it starts coming out it will get easy.

Trent

Its gone about 60inches down and stopped, am now worried about kinking the channel, will find a wedge, need a long bar tho.

thankyou for suggestion.

Grant

last time I split some double rails we placed one end of the channels up aganst a tree and then used a bob cat to force long round blocks of wood inbetween. it took a few tries but at the halfway point they seaparated. I woudent use heat as they are likely just pinched from rust and the heat wont do much unless the rust works its way out.. I know you should not weld on frame rails but not sure if heating them is just as bad. i suspect it is not a good idea????

Trent

last time I split some double rails we placed one end of the channels up aganst a tree and then used a bob cat to force long round blocks of wood inbetween. it took a few tries but at the halfway point they seaparated. I woudent use heat as they are likely just pinched from rust and the heat wont do much unless the rust works its way out.. I know you should not weld on frame rails but not sure if heating them is just as bad. i suspect it is not a good idea????

Trent

You don't need that much heat to get them to expand. You only need a few hundred degrees, and even though tempratures of about 270 degrees can temper steel it usually takes a while to happen. So heating the rail and then trying to seperate it quickly might work. But good point on the rust acting as glue. I guess brute force is the best method at the moment.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Although it will tire you out in a hurry, apply a smart "slap" with a 12 pound hammer to the outer rail where the wedge is jammed inside and stuck. This may take a few times. If you have access to a small jackhammer the job is not too bad even when rails are damn near fused. Use a blunt ended bit. The impacts and resonance will separate the two frame sections. As the sections release, force the wedge in further until they come apart.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ducky. Get a air chisel with a blunt / flat tip and run it along the corners. You will be amazed at the stuff that comes out.

I found that the corners are the ones that hold it together. once you get the rust out of the corners it will come apart.

I don't like using heat. Mark

If the rail is "HEAT TREATED" you could weakin it . ON my truck there are big signs on the rails ..."DO NOT HEAT,WELD,CUT, OR NOTCH FRAME FLANGE". I would rather have a few hours of hard work than destroy a good rail. Ducky becareful and if you get aggravated with it take a break and come back to it. Robs idea sounds good as well as the others .

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

If the rail is "HEAT TREATED" you could weakin it . ON my truck there are big signs on the rails ..."DO NOT HEAT,WELD,CUT, OR NOTCH FRAME FLANGE". I would rather have a few hours of hard work than destroy a good rail. Ducky becareful and if you get aggravated with it take a break and come back to it. Robs idea sounds good as well as the others .

Hi, they were made in 1969, so not heat treated, I will avoid heat, today they got a gallon of phosphoric acid to break down the rust, still no luck but tomorrow am putting it against a 20 foot container and putting a forklift thru it! dam thing! the rust is not bad compared to most I have seen, but I do have to split the rails, not stopping now!

Grant

Got them apart! tried by driving them into a 20ft container weighing 10 ton and failed, then welded 2 nuts half way down chassis and used a bolt to push inner rail out of outer rail. now for the clean up. :)

what paint shuld be used to stop them rusting?

Grant

Got them apart! tried by driving them into a 20ft container weighing 10 ton and failed, then welded 2 nuts half way down chassis and used a bolt to push inner rail out of outer rail. now for the clean up. :)

what paint shuld be used to stop them rusting?

Grant

Ducky Sandblast them. Unless you get rid of ALL the rust you can paint them with all of the expensive paints

and it will come back. Blast them. Just prime and use an enamel chasis paint, GMH chasis black is the cheapest

It will see you out. They were un painted inside at the factory anyway. Mark

Ducky Sandblast them. Unless you get rid of ALL the rust you can paint them with all of the expensive paints

and it will come back. Blast them. Just prime and use an enamel chasis paint, GMH chasis black is the cheapest

It will see you out. They were un painted inside at the factory anyway. Mark

Will do, am hitting them today with a needle gun, them get them blasted! I nearly bought brand new rails yesterday if these didnt come apart, new ones were 13,000 aud for un drilled 343 inch long rails that were just under 11 inches high, these rails are only 9 inches.

the price stopped me!

Grant

I took the outer frame off my B because of spreading. They were only about 12ft long, but still a beach to get unhooked. Took a few hits with sledge and a longgg bar to get them to fall off.

Glad to hear you got them apart.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I took the outer frame off my B because of spreading. They were only about 12ft long, but still a beach to get unhooked. Took a few hits with sledge and a longgg bar to get them to fall off.

Glad to hear you got them apart.

The first one took all day, the second one 2 hours once we had foundd a system that worked. now i have to straighten the one we bent!

Grant