Another Piece Of The Puzzle Showed Up:

Rob

I acquired this p/s pump from a guy with a blown 8V-92 for my 12V-71 transplant. I'm getting very close to the actual fitment process now as I've got nearly all little parts needed. I had a direct drive pump with a self contained reservoir attached to it, and space being a real premium at the firewall, could not use it. This pump uses a remote reservoir and should fit nicely driven from the left camshaft viewed from flywheel end of engine. There is also no room to direct drive the air compressor, so it will be mounted on top of the engine, and belt driven also.

Going to be a real test of my bracket mastery cause I'm going to need to fabricate nearly all of them.

Looking forward to this adventure.......

Rob

post-78-1238367791_thumb.jpg

post-78-1238367808_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

... Going to be a real test of my bracket mastery cause I'm going to need to fabricate nearly all of them.

Looking forward to this adventure.......

Rob

it's easy-just get some flat stock, bend it in the vise, drill some holes in it, bolt to engine, done.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

it's easy-just get some flat stock, bend it in the vise, drill some holes in it, bolt to engine, done.

You have a valid point there Other Dog. In fact, some of the proceedures you mentioned will be followed quite effectively. That is the easy part. Engineering, and placement of the bends, and holes, is the crucial part to be correct.

I will need to have your expert supervisory skills within easy reach when I set out on this endeavor.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You have a valid point there Other Dog. In fact, some of the proceedures you mentioned will be followed quite effectively. That is the easy part. Engineering, and placement of the bends, and holes, is the crucial part to be correct.

I will need to have your expert supervisory skills within easy reach when I set out on this endeavor.

Rob

oh...so in other words, you want to actually be able to use the bracket to mount the pump? that's a horse of a different hue. call if you need anything :D

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

oh...so in other words, you want to actually be able to use the bracket to mount the pump? that's a horse of a different hue. call if you need anything :D

Yes I do want to use the brackets that are fabricated for their intended purpose.

I never was into "abstact art", so I would not be proficient with aforementioned manufacturing method(s).

Not to discount your abilities but this is a Mack, not a Pete, so it has to work; (Had to get that in there, (got a reputation to uphold you know))LOL.

Rob

Rob i think your saying there is not enough room for the compressor. There is three different angle mounted compressors that will mount on the rear. One laying down at a angle to the left and one straight up and the other angle to the right. And some cabs can have a dog house door made to lay the compressor back in. Dont know were that compressor lines up with the cab but at the last resort i would use a belt driven compressor. With good mounting braket they will not be too bad but i have seen so many in my day were they were all worn out and will not stay tight and straight. Allso you may know that pump can be turned around to pump from the other side by turning the pump around.

glenn akers

The pump is direct mount to the engine. The mounting flange is already installed onto the pilot of the pump. The needed brackets are for other ancillary equipment.

Rob

Rob i think your saying there is not enough room for the compressor. There is three different angle mounted compressors that will mount on the rear. One laying down at a angle to the left and one straight up and the other angle to the right. And some cabs can have a dog house door made to lay the compressor back in. Dont know were that compressor lines up with the cab but at the last resort i would use a belt driven compressor. With good mounting braket they will not be too bad but i have seen so many in my day were they were all worn out and will not stay tight and straight. Allso you may know that pump can be turned around to pump from the other side by turning the pump around.

Yes Glenn, the space is very tight at the firewall. If at all possible, I'm trying to not modify the firewall but will if need be. I have both auxillary sheaves in the front of the engine and plan to use one to drive an a/c compressor, and the other to run the alternator, and compressor. I'm really wanting to leave the turbochargers where they are as to not expend a lot of money on custom exhaust.

I certainly agree about belt driving the compressor and would rather have it gear driven. It would not be too difficult to cut a window into the firewall of the cab and fabricate an access panel/cover.

So much of this project will be hand fabricated that any ideas are considered.

Here's a couple photos of the genset in front of my shop when I brought it home. The 12V is now replaced with an 8V and the 12V has an SAE #1 flywheel housing installed. I think it can be seen about the orientation of the turbochargers to the flywheel housing parting flange in the photos. May have to move the engine and transmission a bit forward in the chassis to make it fit/function correctly. Won't really know that until everything is ready for "dry fit".

I love prototyping so this will be interesting.

Rob

post-78-1238373399_thumb.jpg

post-78-1238373941_thumb.jpg

Rob,

Are you going to leave the generator on?

Could be a really interesting hybrid!

Paul VS

That's a 400kw set on the back of the 12V. I am expecting to pull about 250-270kw out of it with the 8V installed now on a resistive load bank.

If I were to install repulsion type motors on the drive axles, I could have infinitly variable groundspeed and locomotive quality torque output from each wheel. Wouln't even need brakes as slowing the field speed through the motors would brake the unit.

Yeah, it would work but I think I'll stay with the mechanical driveline for now. This is just a prototype for fun. The truck is nothing special and really quite shot, (rust) so it is the one to modify.

Rob

Rob,

In the event that the electric hybrid truck idea takes on any further interest -

We have a good running Caterpillar 3412 (twin turbo) with a 435kw genset

that is in need of a new home. It currently lives on one of Jimmy's flat trailers.

It may require some minor hood modifications in the R-700!

Every time I see this unit, I think what in the world was he thinking???

I know he saved from the scrapper's pile. We're the regional humane society for abandoned stuff.

Nothing like a nice little back up generator for the whole neighborhood.

PVS

Rob do you think it is big enough? :loldude:

I'll know in a couple of months!! Really looking forward to this "project". This engine started at 585hp@1800 rpm. I've got larger injectors for it and a few other things to do yet. First time I really stick the old foot into it I'll know if larger turbochargers are in order.

Rob

Rob,

In the event that the electric hybrid truck idea takes on any further interest -

We have a good running Caterpillar 3412 (twin turbo) with a 435kw genset

that is in need of a new home. It currently lives on one of Jimmy's flat trailers.

It may require some minor hood modifications in the R-700!

Every time I see this unit, I think what in the world was he thinking???

I know he saved from the scrapper's pile. We're the regional humane society for abandoned stuff.

Nothing like a nice little back up generator for the whole neighborhood.

PVS

Yes, that Cat V12 is large also. There is one here local that I can get right that was in a large Steiger tractor as a prototype. It was tested by some friends out at the proving grounds in Peoria, county. I'm not sure of the horsepower/torque ratings they finally acheived with it but a couple of the guys dyno'd it in 1997 with 1435hp@ 1630 rpm after doing a little head, and turbo work. I've personally seen two transmissions out of that tractor that had the cases exploded from the torque they were subjected to. Both were Fuller. I don't know how a guy would keep that cool in an on road vehicle but the engine test cell there is set to take near whatever they can bolt down.

435kw is a hell of a set. I've got bigger but that is a lot of available power. The average fuel consumption on something sized like that is about 11 gallons per hour, so a bit costly to operate.

Be sure to tell Jimmy hi for me.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

You might talk to Jimmy about your 12v71 sometime.

He had a brand new 1973 Kenworth 900A with a twin turbocharged Detroit

V-12 that was his lowboy tractor for probably ten years.

I think he knows that engine and all of it's variant set-ups inside and out.

That truck was the talk of the town around here for quite a while.

Just curious - Wouldn't the DM-8xx on e-Bay be a really good heavy haul

tractor with the V-12 and the Allison? Seems like a natural to me. Even though it

may not be original, I would think it would probably be pretty useful with the super

low rear ends as a slow, heavy load prime mover. Specifically - a building mover.

Anyway - have fun with your project.

Paul Van Scott