Retro Fit Power Steering For B Model

61sleepercab

I am new to the site and do not want to reinvent the wheel. I have a B-61 single axle tractor and have figured out that i need bigger arms or power steering to make life better. I am sure that someone has grafted in a steering box and pump from something like a school bus or some other doner truck. I would appreciate any tips or advice other than join the gym. thanks

I bought a power steering unit from Dennis at www.oldmacks.com. The first Mack shop put it in wrong, 2nd shop got it right and now it is like driving a buick- one finger. My truck is a '61 B61 flatbed - now-( it was a tractor in an earlier life). Good luck and welcome

Garrison still manufactures what you will need if you have a spare $1700.00 or so. This assumes you would want all new parts. www.garrisonmfg.com is their web site, and ask for Jake. A less expensive way that would take quite a bit of fabrication is to use an R model steering colume, and an integral power steering gear from a larger Louisville style Ford chassis with the steering gear inboard of the frame. You would also need to fabricate an adjustable drag link to connect the pitman arm and the spindle arm together as the joint end sizes will be different. Then of course, you would need a pump, reservoir, and associated lines to make everything complete. The Ford steering gear that I have seen used in a similar application had a longer sector shaft and therefore did not mount directly to the frame, but bolted to an adapter that bolted to the frame for proper spacing. This would not have worked with a later style engine that has the starter on the upper left, or below driver's feet due to interference.

Are you sure your front end is not binding someplace or has dry parts? I can steer my B61 single axel fairly easy sitting still, and use the palm of my hand if barely moving to turn.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have a B42 single axle dump with a 285 Mack diesel in it and when I got it I also wanted to put power steering in it. When they put the diesel engine in it they kept the original charging system and did not update it with an alternator. Good for me! I contacted Dennis from OLDMACKS.com about the power steering kit that he was selling but $2,000 was to steep for me. So time for option B. Around here (Connecticut) there are alot of old B models around, some alive and some dead. I found a tandem B61 Dump in Branford that was in very bad shape but had hydraulic assist power steering in it. I tracked the guy down and he let me take anything I wanted of the truck for $100. Took the generator and hydraulic pump assembly (pump mounts to the back of the generator), drag link, the hydraulic cylinder and the bracket which attaches the cylinder to the cross steering tube. Plus numerous other parts, good deal huh. :D

With a little adjustment to the drag link and a longer ubolt to attach the cylinder to the axle I was in business. The generator charged fine just had to adjust the regulator. Truck steers like a dream and no broken fingers when the wheel returns :pat: . So my advice is keep your eyes out for "goodies in peoples backyards" as my wife says I do when I ride in the car with her. A lot of the tandem axle B models came with hydraulic assist power steering so thats your best bet. Good luck...Art :thumb:

I am new to the site and do not want to reinvent the wheel. I have a B-61 single axle tractor and have figured out that i need bigger arms or power steering to make life better. I am sure that someone has grafted in a steering box and pump from something like a school bus or some other doner truck. I would appreciate any tips or advice other than join the gym. thanks

Hi Guys.

I'm in the same predicament. One system that seems to do all the things I want is "Air-O-Matic power steering" which I believe is still available.

From Busnut bbs;

The second major type of steering is the air assist kind. Advantages included easier tight turning and parking. At speed, it felt the same as manual steering.

A power steering pump was not used. Air came from the air brake system provided for by the air compressor. This saved space on/near the engine.

Disadvantages of the air assist steering was/is that in some applications (such as off road logging) one could quickly run out of air spotting...

...a vehicle back and forth on tight roads. Once you ran out of air (and it takes a lot) you were literally stuck until you aired up again. Air assist systems however work great for coach applications.

and;

I have driven manual, air, and hydraulic steering. I found the silversides original setup with the "air assist on demand" to be very satisfying.

These are still available according to a couple of websites.

Any comments welcome. Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Hi Rod, I've got Air-O-Matic steering on my "yard dog" and it does not present a problem of running low on air to me. The truck steers fairly easy without the air pressure built up, and I've never ran low on air backing into anyplace as of yet. Most that I've spoken to that have had issues are running a fairly long wheelbase tractor and getting into tight spots. Overall, I'm happy with the system.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If you put radials tires on your B, it will steer like a dream!! I changed over from bias ply and it can go lock-to-lock sitting still. Not with one finger, but can be done. With ol bias tires, it couldn't be moved without moving truck forward/backwards.

I have thought about air set up, since I don't want to go thru the hassle of converting steering over. Don't want to spend the money either way actually LOL!! Guess I'll just keep with my portable exercise machine..LOL!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 2 months later...

Hi Rod, I've got Air-O-Matic steering on my "yard dog" and it does not present a problem of running low on air to me. The truck steers fairly easy without the air pressure built up, and I've never ran low on air backing into anyplace as of yet. Most that I've spoken to that have had issues are running a fairly long wheelbase tractor and getting into tight spots. Overall, I'm happy with the system.

Rob

Hi Rob (if you are still on-line).

Hopefully the second hand unit I have just purchased from Canada is on its way DownUnder.

After seeing some diagrams, there seems to be multiple ways the unit (power cylinder) can be mounted, ie on tie-rod or wheel arm bracket and in both these positions again many variations.

Can you tell me where your power cylinder is mounted?

Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;

Hi Rob (if you are still on-line).

Hopefully the second hand unit I have just purchased from Canada is on its way DownUnder.

After seeing some diagrams, there seems to be multiple ways the unit (power cylinder) can be mounted, ie on tie-rod or wheel arm bracket and in both these positions again many variations.

Can you tell me where your power cylinder is mounted?

Thanks. Rod.

Hi Rod, it is raining heavy here today but I will get you some pictures snapped and sent of the mounting. The booster cylinder is mouted to the Rt. side of the truck from the spindle arm to the front shackel mount. It would be the driver's side for your truck. I don't know if you will have to adapt a front and rear mount for the cylinder to mount on the opposite side or not. I will try to get you clear photos tomorrow if it stops raining.

Rob

Hi Rod, it is raining heavy here today but I will get you some pictures snapped and sent of the mounting. The booster cylinder is mouted to the Rt. side of the truck from the spindle arm to the front shackel mount. It would be the driver's side for your truck. I don't know if you will have to adapt a front and rear mount for the cylinder to mount on the opposite side or not. I will try to get you clear photos tomorrow if it stops raining.

Rob

Hi Rod, it was still "raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock" over here yesterday so I was unable to get pictures for you. The sun is out this morning and I will try to get pictures this afternoon.

Rob

Hi Rod, it was still "raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock" over here yesterday so I was unable to get pictures for you. The sun is out this morning and I will try to get pictures this afternoon.

Rob

Hi Rod, I'm going to try to attach some pictures here. Hopefully they can help you out with your conversion.

Rob

Hi Rod, I'm going to try to attach some pictures here. Hopefully they can help you out with your conversion.

Rob

Thanks Rob. Really appreciated. I owe you.

Thanks again. Rod. :thumb:

Proud owner of;

Thanks Rob. Really appreciated. I owe you.

Thanks again. Rod. :thumb:

If you need others, or clearer pictures let me know. My email address is: rob@autoaffair.com.

Thanks,

Rob