• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey mark,where in n.s.w are you? i am IN NEWCASTLE, is your truck still on the road??cheers adrian

Hi yep the old girl is still on the road . But I Re powered it and put a fibreglass bonnet ect.

Wore it out again. then Rebuilt it again econodyne cab alloy tanks ect.

Sadly Its been on the coal and it is well used. still doing Its daily work.

I have a lot of piccys that are stuck in a photo album, Iam trying to un stick them without ripping them.

Down in Wollongong still working. Mark

• 1 month later...
Yeh Rod, The only Duel i had was with the pressure washer every wekend.

Man if your truck gets that dirty in 12 hours I bet you go through a pile of air filters in a year. Carefull not to breath that crap yourself. It isn't so easy to change lungs. Good luck and God speed.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

Man if your truck gets that dirty in 12 hours I bet you go through a pile of air filters in a year. Carefull not to breath that crap yourself. It isn't so easy to change lungs. Good luck and God speed.

Matt. That was a rare occurance, it rained for 2 weeks and it was nite shift. and the bloody truckwash filter system blocked up,

when the sun came up the water in the truck wash was the colour of chocolate milk. You could not notice it in the dark.

that is why i decided to use the old Mack on the job as I would not buy a new truck to treat it like that.

Realy, it is quite the opposite no dust, water sprays everywhere. As for the aircleaners replace them every 6 months

regardless. Mark

Very nice job on the rear fenders. I know it's a lot of work because I've been there. Still a good looking unit.

Does it still look the same or a bit for wear?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Very nice job on the rear fenders. I know it's a lot of work because I've been there. Still a good looking unit.

Does it still look the same or a bit for wear?

Rob

Rob i have always been a bit inventive and as we had to wait 13 months for Mack to build the thing

as they had to build a fleet of garbage trucks, all the same spec's, they put a lot of orders back.

I wanted to do something different, so with a couple of friends we designed the guards

they came out pretty good. I never got round to make another set as it was a lot of work.

I only had the Econodyne for 26 months.It had a lot of waranty problems that Mack didn't

want to do properly. It was a 1985 model and it was in the wrecking yard 4 years ago.

I think it had only 3 owners. Mark

Rob i have always been a bit inventive and as we had to wait 13 months for Mack to build the thing

as they had to build a fleet of garbage trucks, all the same spec's, they put a lot of orders back.

I wanted to do something different, so with a couple of friends we designed the guards

they came out pretty good. I never got round to make another set as it was a lot of work.

I only had the Econodyne for 26 months.It had a lot of waranty problems that Mack didn't

want to do properly. It was a 1985 model and it was in the wrecking yard 4 years ago.

I think it had only 3 owners. Mark

I used to be that way also. When someone wanted too much to make something for me, I usually did it myself, (on my own stuff I'm a bit difficult to satisfy). Before the kids needed funding for college expenses, I had a lot of free time to work on personal interests, and made a lot of little "trinkets" that would be either difficult to obtain, or expensive. I taught myself to weld aluminum after I purchased an industial tig welder and some sheet to form a set of rear fenders from. I had a very loyal customer/friend that was a real artist with a tig machine to help me out, (since passed). These came out pretty nice for a first attempt. Did save my plans so will make another set someday.

Sad that Mack would not stand behind their product satisfactorily. Seems that hardly anybody does anymore.

Is your current truck still marked up in the same color scheme?

I like the green/white/red layout personally.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob stay tuned as this topic is realy about the Flintstone..... well kinda sorta i still have it to this day

one more of the econodyne in Brisbane.I made them piggyback the other down to Sydney thinking

it might run it in a bit. It didn't do it any good as one of the BIG problems was excess oil consumption.

They would always say that was acceptable. I'll post the consumption figures up one day.

Any way i was lucky enough to be in Brisbane to see the econodyne on the assembly line.

econobrisbane.jpg

Rob stay tuned as this topic is realy about the Flintstone..... well kinda sorta i still have it to this day

one more of the econodyne in Brisbane.I made them piggyback the other down to Sydney thinking

it might run it in a bit. It didn't do it any good as one of the BIG problems was excess oil consumption.

They would always say that was acceptable. I'll post the consumption figures up one day.

Any way i was lucky enough to be in Brisbane to see the econodyne on the assembly line.

My mistake, I thought they were one in the same......

As other dog would say, "my clutch is slipping".

Rob

econobrisbane.jpg

Ok It all started when i swapped the Quad box ( glad to get rid of the thing) for a fibreglass bonnet. Got me thinking !

Found a aircleaner... fuel tank.. and another A radiator ect. Years before i swapped the 34 lightweight rear end

for a set of 44's. Replaced the Quad box with a RTO 915 roadranger. Truck actually went 20% better .

Started work Bought a 320 and a RTO 12515 road ranger and 5 weeks later, new truck, changed the diff ratio too.

After 9 or ten years if hard work. A new truck.... Me happy but still not quite finished.......

therebuild1.jpg