Glenn:

Rob

I've got a slight leak from the water pump on one of my V8 engines and want to rebuild the pump myself. Have you ever rebuilt one of these yourself? The service manual does not really call for any special pullers and such so I'm willing to try. The pump is not difficult to remove from the engine, and we have an industrial seal supplier in Peoria should I need some special packing.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've got a slight leak from the water pump on one of my V8 engines and want to rebuild the pump myself. Have you ever rebuilt one of these yourself? The service manual does not really call for any special pullers and such so I'm willing to try. The pump is not difficult to remove from the engine, and we have an industrial seal supplier in Peoria should I need some special packing.

Thanks,

Rob

No i have never had one apart and dont know that i have even changed one of them. The V8s were not many around here.Some but not like the inline.Back in the 60s there were more of the little end 465 and end 475 than V8s. 475i think was the scania engine. The lttle 465 was a small inline like a end673.

glenn akers

No i have never had one apart and dont know that i have even changed one of them. The V8s were not many around here.Some but not like the inline.Back in the 60s there were more of the little end 465 and end 475 than V8s. 475i think was the scania engine. The lttle 465 was a small inline like a end673.

I'll have to take a bunch of photos so we will both learn something.

I've never seen the 465 engine, but have a few of the 475's in years gone past.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

which motor had the air compresser mouted on the right side bolted to like the timing cover, i found a old B today that is a rust bucket flatbed with no hood about the only thing thats any good is the fenders and them fender spacer things, shes headed for the scrape in a few weeks, i was just wondering about what size moter it had :mack1:

which motor had the air compresser mouted on the right side bolted to like the timing cover, i found a old B today that is a rust bucket flatbed with no hood about the only thing thats any good is the fenders and them fender spacer things, shes headed for the scrape in a few weeks, i was just wondering about what size moter it had :mack1:

So sorry its on the left side, i got turned the wrong way

Look familiar?

I dont know when they stopped building the 465 but it was just a baby looking 673. The 475 there in the photo i remenber on the left side for a oil filter it was a centrifical spiner.

I've never worked on one, just remember they were all painted silver when I seen them being worked with/on at dealerships, or garages.

Rob

Thanks,

Rob

:SMOKIE-RT If I remember right the impeller should pull off the shaft with a steering wheel or harmonic balancer puller not too hard. You should probably be able to get a seal and possibly bearing from your supplier. make sure your shaft is not worn too much and your impeller fits back on snug and use a new pin in the impeller even a roll pin will work. You should be able to make it work. If you have trouble and it doesn't I have a new remaned one here in the archives. Let us know how you make out , Good Luck .

:SMOKIE-RT If I remember right the impeller should pull off the shaft with a steering wheel or harmonic balancer puller not too hard. You should probably be able to get a seal and possibly bearing from your supplier. make sure your shaft is not worn too much and your impeller fits back on snug and use a new pin in the impeller even a roll pin will work. You should be able to make it work. If you have trouble and it doesn't I have a new remaned one here in the archives. Let us know how you make out , Good Luck .

Thank you for the faith and inspiration. I'm going to pull it off this weekend and get it apart to see. The radiator is scheduled into the shop Monday morning for final evaluation and integrity, and I've purchased all new belts, thermostats, seals, and gasket material to get the cooling system in decent shape. Since running six gallons of muratic acid, (80% water, 20% acid) and repeatedly flushing, the drain water is now clear and not rusty. The heater works well in the cab also. I plan to flush it once more with clean water/neutralizer, then refilling with 50/50 mix of green coolant/distilled water. Should be the end of that for a couple of years!

Rob

Thank you for the faith and inspiration. I'm going to pull it off this weekend and get it apart to see. The radiator is scheduled into the shop Monday morning for final evaluation and integrity, and I've purchased all new belts, thermostats, seals, and gasket material to get the cooling system in decent shape. Since running six gallons of muratic acid, (80% water, 20% acid) and repeatedly flushing, the drain water is now clear and not rusty. The heater works well in the cab also. I plan to flush it once more with clean water/neutralizer, then refilling with 50/50 mix of green coolant/distilled water. Should be the end of that for a couple of years!

Rob

Rob I had a similar problem with the water pump on one of my endt 865's about 3 years ago the seal and pin were both available from Mack at that time. I built a small puller for the impeller and done the work myself, the only thing the seal is made out of ceramic and it is very easy to break and cause a leak ( The voice of experience here I changed the seal twice) hope this helps Block

Rob I had a similar problem with the water pump on one of my endt 865's about 3 years ago the seal and pin were both available from Mack at that time. I built a small puller for the impeller and done the work myself, the only thing the seal is made out of ceramic and it is very easy to break and cause a leak ( The voice of experience here I changed the seal twice) hope this helps Block

Thanks Block. The service manual states that the seal is ceramic and brittle. I will exercise great caution cause I absolutely HATE breaking things, (except during fits of anger which are easily obtained).

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
:SMOKIE-RT: Have you tackled that water pump yet Rob?

I have not and am really behind the eight ball so to speak cause it really needs done. I don't have anti-freeze in the system, so it remains inside the heated building. I may need to make it a precedence because I need the room, and it can't go outside for long. I actually drove it again this evening as "Mack Anxiety" is creeping up from not having something fun to drive around.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Rob