1979 ENDT 675 camshaft

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Heinz said:

For anyone's future reference, that lifter part number supersedes to 20705596, and is available in Mack's warehouses at the moment. Interesting. 

Interesting being my Mack dealer here in Salt Lake said that they were no longer available In looking at the pricing per lifter being in the range of $350 - $400 that is more than a little out of my budget.  I am just the little guy with one truck where it only really makes money during the ski season  (5 months)  the rest of the year it just pays the enough to keep truck going.  I'm 70 yrs old and been doing this for 62 yrs starting to help my dad when he started the business and not really wanting to put truck to work full time year around.

Edited by RS Disposal

38 minutes ago, RS Disposal said:

Interesting being my Mack dealer here in Salt Lake said that they were no longer available In looking at the pricing per lifter being in the range of $350 - $400 that is more than a little out of my budget.  I am just the little guy with one truck where it only really makes money during the ski season  (5 months)  the rest of the year it just pays the enough to keep truck going.  I'm 70 yrs old and been doing this for 62 yrs starting to help my dad when he started the business and not really wanting to put truck to work full time year around.

Sounds like they wanted nothing to do with ordering that part for you. The E7 number posted previously (72GC357) that was said to fit your engine superseded to that new part number 20705596. There's lots of them in stock, though we can only order them in quantities of 12. Goes to show the state of the modern parts counter, turn away that which annoys you or doesn't bring enough money in! 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, The Heinz said:

Sounds like they wanted nothing to do with ordering that part for you. The E7 number posted previously (72GC357) that was said to fit your engine superseded to that new part number 20705596. There's lots of them in stock, though we can only order them in quantities of 12. Goes to show the state of the modern parts counter, turn away that which annoys you or doesn't bring enough money in! 

You have to order a full set?? Can't order 1 or 2??

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, The Heinz said:

My regular parts guy who knows these older Mack trucks was out the day I went in. The younger guy did give me an updated part number to the 72GC347A of 25101042.  Either his book didn't give the 72GC357A as a replacement or he just didn't research it.  As with the intake push rods of having to order six rather than just the one I needed, I can see the lifters having to be ordered as a set of 12 and at about $350-$400 per lifter that is definitely way out of my budget.

Quick question also,  I have done a quick search only, but does anyone have a source for a timing cover gasket.  Dealer tells me I would have to order 10

these are the 2 full gasket kit numbers minus head gaskets.. if this is still available, I would consider buying them..  I also posted the 20 bolt head gasket part number.  is your's 20 bolt? the head gaskets are the only difference that I know of...  I am by no means an END or E-6 guy..  This is just what is in my shop right now..  I know you are not this deep in the engine, just hoping these part numbers are good info for you,   Jojo

KIMG1844.JPG

KIMG1845.JPG

KIMG1842.JPG

KIMG1843.JPG

I know my Mack dealer just got a new parts computer system. The new system only shows current part numbers, it doesn't show obsolete numbers. They have to go through three more steps to look up what obsolete numbers transfer to. Or some dumb excess of work. 

I wonder if that's why they're telling you you have to buy a full set of lifters or pushrods, they're working with an awful system and can't figure out how to pick out the part number for just one rod or lifter.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I recently had to buy 4 deck dowels and a long butress bolt..  I spent 30 minutes (Behind the counter) showing the MACK parts guy how to find what I needed..    He was a good guy, just had no training on E-Tech engines..  The last series of MACK engines before the MP series..  It isnt like I was looking for parts for an AC Mack..  a frigging CH... E-Tech Engine By God !!!!

Fortunately there's enough of these engines running in my area that the parts guys at my dealer rarely have a problem.  If they do they'll just email you the parts diagram to help pinpoint what you're asking for.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, JoeH said:

You have to order a full set?? Can't order 1 or 2??

Nope, I don't know why for this specific part. Usually I only see o-rings or small bolts or something that has a required order size. Not blessed lifters!

11 hours ago, RS Disposal said:

My regular parts guy who knows these older Mack trucks was out the day I went in. The younger guy did give me an updated part number to the 72GC347A of 25101042.  Either his book didn't give the 72GC357A as a replacement or he just didn't research it.  As with the intake push rods of having to order six rather than just the one I needed, I can see the lifters having to be ordered as a set of 12 and at about $350-$400 per lifter that is definitely way out of my budget.

The system used to look up parts now is HORRIBLE for trying to find crosses, and it takes a bit of research to make a good cross because of that. Stuff like E7 lifters working in an E6 is not something with Volvo/Mack's name on it would show. That kind of research is what brought me here in the first place.

EDIT: I'd like to emphasize that parts guy wasn't wrong, he just doesn't have the resources to go much further than that. Mack's FleetCross program doesn't show a single cross for the original 72GC347A number. It's not our fault all the time, our superiors usually don't bother training us any more than they have to! 

Edited by The Heinz
More Info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Heinz said:

Nope, I don't know why for this specific part. Usually I only see o-rings or small bolts or something that has a required order size. Not blessed lifters!

The system used to look up parts now is HORRIBLE for trying to find crosses, and it takes a bit of research to make a good cross because of that. Stuff like E7 lifters working in an E6 is not something with Volvo/Mack's name on it would show. That kind of research is what brought me here in the first place.

EDIT: I'd like to emphasize that parts guy wasn't wrong, he just doesn't have the resources to go much further than that. Mack's FleetCross program doesn't show a single cross for the original 72GC347A number. It's not our fault all the time, our superiors usually don't bother training us any more than they have to! 

Yup attitude has a lot to do with it too Remember  Heinz !  And you got the stuff! KEY IS  You take pride! And also totally agree as we have said before that Volvo half baked program for parts look up Ain't for the faint of heart to run! Secret little side drawers to look in and stuff ! The search feature is Shit Just piss poor!

another challenge in todays world is the complexity of everything. went for motor oil recently ;  need to be a scientist to figure right one. oven light bulb totally confusing. nothing simple anymore . things not only simpler back then BUT the parts people didn't rely on a computer to  answer questions ; they knew the answer. take away things such as goggle (which is good ) and the world is lost. have noticed when going in to a major store ; doesn't matter name either, ask a worker for a certain item ; first thing they do is take out the phone and look it up to find which aisle and shelf it's on. no one cares about pride or interest in their job it seems. it's just a job. sad. back in the day when a part had a new superseded number it usually meant an improvement was made . today it means part was made cheaper.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

another challenge in todays world is the complexity of everything. went for motor oil recently ;  need to be a scientist to figure right one. oven light bulb totally confusing. nothing simple anymore . things not only simpler back then BUT the parts people didn't rely on a computer to  answer questions ; they knew the answer. take away things such as goggle (which is good ) and the world is lost. have noticed when going in to a major store ; doesn't matter name either, ask a worker for a certain item ; first thing they do is take out the phone and look it up to find which aisle and shelf it's on. no one cares about pride or interest in their job it seems. it's just a job. sad. back in the day when a part had a new superseded number it usually meant an improvement was made . today it means part was made cheaper.

When it comes to Volvo, supersessions mean unavailability. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I have now know that the E7 lifter is compatible with my E6 engine.  I have noticed in my researching that the E7 lifter doesn't have the hole that the E6 lifter does.  I can only assume that it is for oil flow and lubrication of the lifter in the bore and or for oil flow up the pushrod.   I know the E7 lifter is suppose to have a redesigned and better face than the E6, but is the "no hole" going to be an issue in the longer run for the engine?

1 hour ago, RS Disposal said:

I have now know that the E7 lifter is compatible with my E6 engine.  I have noticed in my researching that the E7 lifter doesn't have the hole that the E6 lifter does.  I can only assume that it is for oil flow and lubrication of the lifter in the bore and or for oil flow up the pushrod.   I know the E7 lifter is suppose to have a redesigned and better face than the E6, but is the "no hole" going to be an issue in the longer run for the engine?

No there’s enough trickle down lube all good! And as you know the lifter is way better!if you could round up a set you wouldn’t look back! The old style was a welded on hard surface I believe the new style is a billet !

• Like 1

My local Mack dealer parts counter has gone downhill.  Poor girl(she admitted to not know big trucks) couldn't find exh gaskets and fold over locks for a 237.  Older gentleman had to help.  She was trying but my old VIN didn't help in new system.  Told her 2 valve head and she said "I don't know what that is".  I didn't critize her, I was very understanding of her situation.

Fold over locks NLA, gaskets were $24 ea.  Found everything on eBay. 6 Locks $17, 6 gaskets $55.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

7 hours ago, Freightrain said:

My local Mack dealer parts counter has gone downhill.  Poor girl(she admitted to not know big trucks) couldn't find exh gaskets and fold over locks for a 237.  Older gentleman had to help.  She was trying but my old VIN didn't help in new system.  Told her 2 valve head and she said "I don't know what that is".  I didn't critize her, I was very understanding of her situation.

Fold over locks NLA, gaskets were $24 ea.  Found everything on eBay. 6 Locks $17, 6 gaskets $55.

When it comes to the VIN on my older Mack, 1979, if I go anywhere other than the dealer they tell me that it isn't a good VIN.  The one parts guy is old school and he can usually find what I need, if not he gives me the Mack number which helps in researching after market.

She has helped me once before so I knew she is capable.  An older gentleman came up and assisted her in finding the part numbers.  She kinda knew what to do but I am likely a rare bird coming for parts on a 60s VIN.  

The original parts guy, Jeff, retired. He always remembered me though I only came in about once a year.  Another fellow, my age?, is still there and remembers me.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

When I was still working on trucks for a living I was spoiled the guys at Cool brothers were there for me 5 and 6 days a week and Jeff had the exhaust gaskets for my set aside even after Cooks quite selling mack parts. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Any words of wisdom on getting the injection pump gear off.  Does the cam just slide out once the lifters have all been captured?

Edited by RS Disposal
Additional question

Ok, I got the injection pump gear off and the cam out.  Cam and lifter re install is a no brainer.  My question is on the injection pump gear.  I don't believe there will be enough of the threads beyond the gear to be able to use the nut to push it back onto the shaft.  Don't really want to do any tapping of the gear to get it down.  Don't want to screw up my pump.  Any thoughts or words of wisdom? Was hoping the shaft had a threaded hole, but in my initial inspection last nite I didn't see one,  but then I was tired and it was dark and at that point my day was 20 hrs long.

you  DID NOT  loosen the four bolts holding the gear to pump?? NO  of course not. LOL  . making double/ triple sure the keyway stays in place. a very clean socket ;3/4 drive just large enough to clear shaft threads works. light tapping continuing to watch shaft key stays in place not rotating out of key slot. slight tapping till enough threads show. tap/tighten will bring drive gear into place.

• Like 1

cam/ lifters install may be a no brainer :: based on experience the cam install may be a challenge if your doing it yourself.  plenty of lube, first couple of ports not bad, as the cam goes in further balancing it straight in to journals is an experience. it tends to wobble thus hitting the lifters knocking them out of place. have done EVERY scenario= load from front. or install part way then go under reaching up ( one reason my back is done) gliding cam in with a guarantee to pinch fingers. best advice is get a helper that has half knowledge of mechanics or at least follow directions.  having helper WATCH YOUR FINGERS cam works like a meat slicer. repeat these words """"HELPER PLEASE GO SLOW AND LISTEN TO ME when to push cam .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

you  DID NOT  loosen the four bolts holding the gear to pump?? NO  of course not. LOL  . making double/ triple sure the keyway stays in place. a very clean socket ;3/4 drive just large enough to clear shaft threads works. light tapping continuing to watch shaft key stays in place not rotating out of key slot. slight tapping till enough threads show. tap/tighten will bring drive gear into place.

No , I DID NOT loosen those 4 bolts.  I

• Like 1