Mack, RM Series, RM6884X- For Sale

ekroeg

Hey guys, I'm new here, but figured I'd see if anyone was interested in giving this old truck a better life than what it has here. A restoration project maybe? This RM has the E6-350 engine and the Allison Automatic. It runs, dumps and drives. Its missing the front axles, front differential and front drive shaft, otherwise it should it be an all wheel drive. Now its effectively a rear wheel drive. Looking at the plates on the diffs, the gear ratio was off just enough to wear that front out. Has a Fabco SDA16 Differential housing on the front. Front plow had a bunch of broken welds and poor repairs so it got scrapped. Other than that, it runs, dumps and drives. Wausau side plow can be removed, along with dump bed if desired.

Anyway, I have it on Ebay right now (https://www.ebay.com/itm/256454363237) If that link doesn't work, just search for 'Mack RM'

There will be an associated Youtube video that should be up later tonight, to show a walk around and demo. I'll let you know

I'm having a hard time uploading photos on here. But there are plenty of photos on the Ebay page.

Asking $9990 - Truck is near Helena, MT

• Like 1

the ratio of the front axle would be faster or smaller numerical ratio for mack transfer cases. they are to be installed with that setup of axles, to have "fast forward" axle ratio to be able to unlock the differential in case the drive line has wound-up torque.

very very nice truck.

Edited by glenbjackson

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, when i had the front plow, it would have made plowing a driveway some quick work! Here's the Youtube Video of the walk around. My image stabilizer on my camera is about shot, so apologies for the bit of shaky camera.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ8lRBnuYJs

As far as the Diff's go, here are the pictures of the plates. Blue one is from the front diff housing. Other one from the rear. Rear looks like it was 5.4, Front was 6.5.

20190509_112206.jpg

20190104_114341.jpg

• Like 1

From what I understand, they should be within a certain percentage, like Glen said, to relieve torque. But if its too far out, it can lead to differential failure. And I think that's what happened on this one looking at those ratios. It happened before it came into my possession.

Boy with those low gears you would want to change both front and rear! I would guess that it had taller tires in the front like 12.00x20's and 10.00x20's in the rear. Also, the Macks ran a full time 4x4 transfer case, seems like they were always harder on front axles. I am picking up a matched pair of Fabco Axles next week out of a low mile fire truck, might be a home for them.

22 hours ago, MTram95 said:

Boy with those low gears you would want to change both front and rear! I would guess that it had taller tires in the front like 12.00x20's and 10.00x20's in the rear. Also, the Macks ran a full time 4x4 transfer case, seems like they were always harder on front axles. I am picking up a matched pair of Fabco Axles next week out of a low mile fire truck, might be a home for them.

Yeah, I'm sure as a highway plow it wasn't in need of the lower ratios. But yeah, the axle situation would be the biggest fix on this thing. I've used it a bit as a rear wheel drive dump truck when I had land up on Rogers Pass, just moving material around between neighbors. The low gears were nice on those steep mountain roads, but it had its limitations as a RWD, for sure. But if this were to be used for anything else, it'd do better with some different axles. I see you're in Stevi, If you want to come take a look let me know. I'm generally around.