Air leaks

Castle Trucking

Question

I have a 2009 pinnacle and on the firewall is a place where the airlines connect to the inside of the cab. The primary and secondary lines are leaking on the outside which is a real tight area. How do I fix these leaks? It looks like I will have to replace the entire metal plate with all the air connections. Can I by pass this and drill holes in the firewall and splice the lines this way?

thank you 

12 answers to this question

that air manifold is a common problem.  its all quick connects, and they spring leaks.  some of those are straight through, but when you look close you will see galleries connecting the ports..  so drilling out the leaker and installing a small union, may not work..  it will cause other issues.  if you have enough line to trim 1/2'' off and re-insert it, you can try that, but we just replaced the whole manifold..  you will have to work on both sides of the firewall..   I suggest you stock up on 'curse words'.  youll need 'em....

• Like 1

are you saying the manifold isn't just an alum block with multi threaded ports having removable  fittings/lines any more ??one goes bad ; cut the line close remove fitting / install new fitting then push in plastic line ??

yep.  its plastic and has quick connects.. great for the assembly line,  totaly sucks for the owner/mechanicth?id=OPHS.tnI0SSakljjkeA474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=174&h=174

• Sad 1

Yeah Mech, they're awesome. Sometimes they're made to such stringent tolerance there's not even enough air line to cut off a little bit. Jojo's initial response was spot on concerning the manifold in question. They're fantastic for the first couple years though, because you need to remove them so often.

Bloke in Aus makes aluminium replacement for them with removable fittings. At least you can get away from the PITA push in quick connect style fittings that decide to leak and get filled with crud so you can't disconnect them

Screenshot_20240318-125623.thumb.png.7c2c514546f8d0e13770e0e19ac50798.png

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 6:58 PM, Joey Mack said:

yep.  its plastic and has quick connects.. great for the assembly line,  totaly sucks for the owner/mechanicth?id=OPHS.tnI0SSakljjkeA474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=174&h=174

looking at that gray plastic = which looks like junk  vs the shown replacement , answers my question regarding removal of push in relacing with threaded fitting (shown in white replacement) .