RD specs

Macktruckman

Question

I am on my vacation this week so I was gonna do more beating on that nose but I have a few things I gotta get accomplished this week but yes, I will definitely be working on it a little bit later and thanks for are interest have to renew my license medical card and background check just for a few more months of driving but I got all week to do all this. Hopefully I could post photos with  significant forward progress damn thing is driving me up a wall. It’s too much of the same shit. Right now it doesn’t look like I’m getting anywhere except deeper in debt. I’ll be anxious to start some of the repairs. … but then the nose is the worst part of the whole truck and I wanted to get the hardest part done first.bob 

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

I am on my vacation this week so I was gonna do more beating on that nose but I have a few things I gotta get accomplished this week but yes, I will definitely be working on it a little bit later and thanks for are interest have to renew my license medical card and background check just for a few more months of driving but I got all week to do all this. Hopefully I could post photos with  significant forward progress damn thing is driving me up a wall. It’s too much of the same shit. Right now it doesn’t look like I’m getting anywhere except deeper in debt. I’ll be anxious to start some of the repairs. … but then the nose is the worst part of the whole truck and I wanted to get the hardest part done first.bob 

what did you end up with for exhaust system ?? can see why you want to eliminate muffler it had = blocks right side of mirror view. picture shows one fuel tank with step on passenger side;; is that what you are staying with or second tank going on right side ???

Looks like I should have decent weather through half of Thursday. Should be able to get a lot accomplished because probably my yard gets really sloppy when it rains or snows so I don’t like to move it over to the cement slab or I like to send because the tires stink right down And leave big tire tracks I prefer sand there because we have little dogs and I want to make sure to sweep up all that poisonous material falling down so my little guys don’t get sick you know how they are. They eat everything they see and Mecho I bought a tank up at old UPS F model years ago I’m going to put that on the right side it’s a little long so I’ll have to reroute the exhaust around it and I can’t do anything with that because my transmission has to be changed because this old Trans I’m changing that is junk h as a PTO unit right in the way where I want to put that little muffler and yes, I think we were stepping all over his tread , but he did start it as far as model numbers. The only thing I could tell you is the S means twin axle. I don’t know what’s up with that. Mine also says S and it has twin Drive.bob

I brought up the fact before I had a shot at a glass nose on old trans conU model it was around 350 miles from here went down and looked at it funny thing I’ve been passing this thing around 15 years at night and it sat in the same spot. Finally went down with my pick up truck to look at it and the daylight… after I talk to the place on the phone wrecking yard only wanted 150 bucks for it. They had a big bite out of the passenger side fender cracked both sides over the hood hinges I didn’t think it was much better than this one but the more I dig into it the more I find now I’m sorry I didn’t just scoop that one up it would’ve been a lot easier to fix 

Oh no worries bob its all good. Talking trucks is talking trucks as far as i care. Lol. Im curious about the rear suspension as much as anything because its not camelback its just a walking beam with no springs. The engine finally died in my R so i was offered this old 690 as a complete parts truck because it has a compatible engine. EM6 4 valve. Kinda think its a T2080 transmission but not positive. So i was hoping to clear up wjat transmission and rears id be getting as well. Having said that he has not ever given me a price for the truck. He’s thinking about it. But he offered it I didn’t ask. 
what transmission are you going to be putting in yours bob? You said your transmission is bad? 
josh

yeah, that transmission is junk at jumps out of fourth direct. I had to be the luckiest guy alive I find one. Rebuilt 50 miles from here 350 bucks. It’s the same thing as I have in there. It’s a tri Plex. Came out of a restored B model that got stuck in a garage fire. The guy was parting it out. if I were you, I would PM double clutch weasel. He has all kinds of spec sheets. He said he’s really busy right now that’s why he has not been on here but I’m sure if you sent him a message he will Respond

The problem is Mack parts. In this part of the country are pretty much extinct and rather than drive all the way down there and try to buy the same one which is probably still there. I’m so far into this one now I might as well continue besides, I like the challenge. 

Yeah I understand the parts thing bob that’s why I’m so interested in this parts truck. Where I live theres no old macks around and zero older Macks in the only salvage close. I bought that hood from a place up north and paid as much freight as I paid for the hood. So i get it. This parts truck has a 300 4 valve. I’ve never driven it. I only have experience in tbe 2 valve engines 

josh

• Like 1

My old r has 38k camelbacks and they have a broken leaf on one side so I was wondering about the suspension in the parts truck as well. I  wouldn’t mind a stouter rear suspension than the 38’s they seem a bit light 

Josh

Edited by Macktruckman
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Looks like I should have decent weather through half of Thursday. Should be able to get a lot accomplished because probably my yard gets really sloppy when it rains or snows so I don’t like to move it over to the cement slab or I like to send because the tires stink right down And leave big tire tracks I prefer sand there because we have little dogs and I want to make sure to sweep up all that poisonous material falling down so my little guys don’t get sick you know how they are. They eat everything they see and Mecho I bought a tank up at old UPS F model years ago I’m going to put that on the right side it’s a little long so I’ll have to reroute the exhaust around it and I can’t do anything with that because my transmission has to be changed because this old Trans I’m changing that is junk h as a PTO unit right in the way where I want to put that little muffler and yes, I think we were stepping all over his tread , but he did start it as far as model numbers. The only thing I could tell you is the S means twin axle. I don’t know what’s up with that. Mine also says S and it has twin Drive.bob

have to apologize for thread stepping ; senior citizen . along with memory failure of many thoughts; the S would imply tandem "straight truck / lighter duty "? an SX- heavy duty==ST- tractor .  ???  R685 ST --- twin screw tractor ;;; R685 S -- twin screw ;;; straight /lighter chassis  ==R685SX --- HD chassis (I know bad example ) r685SX would be RD.

• Like 1

No apologies necessary at all. I don’t mind at all. Lol. And tbank you for that information. I do somewhat understand the model number meanings but not great. My truck was originally a R685ST. I know that meant a endt675 or 237. Tandem drive. Someone before me basically made it a R686ST as when I bought it there was a EM6-285 tip turbine under the hood. 
now the RD690S im looking at is a 1988 or 89 and was a dolese brothers mixer truck since new. It has two hydraulic drop axles in front of the drivers and a fold up drag axle behind. It has im sure a 18k or 20k steer. Has  385-65 float tires on front. 
josh

• Like 1

Being a factory built mixer truck I can’t imagine it having anything less than 44’s but I don’t know how to tell. I can post some pictures of the rears and tbe tag on the axle housing. I posted them in the suspension section but haven’t gotten alot of responses yet  

josh

Edited by Macktruckman
  • Like 1

I think I have the same exact suspension in my DM. Also, I ran that 300  4 valve I wasn’t impressed with the sound or the power. Had 179,000. It sounded like a Cummings and I didn’t think it pulled very well At all but then. I did get out of a 350 Thermadyne it was a E 6 now that thing was a pulling SOB

• Like 1