Long night after someone FA & FO hard!

RowdyRebel

So Wednesday, I had to do a run in the Kenworthless, and it broke down on my way back to the mill. Sat for a while on the side of the highway, then the boss showed up with a fuel filter and some starting fluid. Changed that, and still nothing. It'd run on starting fluid, but that was it. Wrecker showed up, boss gave me a ride back, and after punching out, I made my way down to take care of my horses. Left there making my way towards the bridge...and it was closed. Cops all over. Big to-do. Said there was "evidence" scattered all over the road, so it would be closed while they process it all. Won't open before daybreak. Probably mid-day. Possibly later. So I looked at the time, and figured I'd better hang around in town to let my wife follow me home, since we'd have to go around to another bridge...about 100 miles whether we went north to Chester or south to Cairo.

So she gets off work and we headed north. Made it to Perryville and she gets a flat tire. Great. She's been driving her mom's car (better fuel mileage) but that car (2015 Dodge Dart) never came with a spare. So here it is midnight and I'm phoning friends to have someone bring a trailer up. He got there, we loaded it up, he headed back to the farm with the car and we headed home. Got there at 3:30, grabbed a bite to eat, and my head hit the pillow JUST IN TIME for my alarm to go off waking me up for work. Needless to say, Thursday was fun.

Anyway, turns out a guy had shot a cop up in Granite City on Tuesday, and they found him in Cape Wednesday. High speed pursuit across the bridge (eastbound in the westbound lanes avoiding spike strips) before trying to cut across a field & getting stuck. Holes up in his truck for a while, then got out with a rifle.

The "Find Out" was off the charts.

Volume up! Not much to see on the video...but the audio. Holy crap!

The news article:

https://www.kfvs12.com/2024/02/08/police-chase-happening-east-cape-girardeau-bill-emerson-bridge-shut-down/

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'd be texting my boss telling him I'm not safe to drive after that ordeal! Especially considering the bridge would likely still be closed by the time you got to it again...

It's only 20 miles farther for me to head north to Chester to cross before heading back south on my way to work, as opposed to heading south to Cape before turning north. Tacks on about 35-40 extra minutes, due to a 55 mph speed limit (or lower) the entire way vs 70 mph for about half the trip...so it really isn't too bad. Few years ago when East Cape was flooded & the bridge was closed for a few weeks, I worked 4-day weeks instead of 5, my wife worked 3-day weeks instead of 4. I came home every night. She stayed in the LQ of a horse trailer on the farm for 2 nights. Her commute was 100 miles instead of 25, so she'd drive to work & stay at the farm, then come home after the 3rd day. That way, one of us would be home with the baby so we didn't need the sitter, which would've really had us racking up the miles. Luckily our bosses understood & she had enough PTO to make it work...saved us over $300/week in gas & babysitter pay...not to mention the TIME. If I could find someone dumb enough to actually buy a house in Illinois these days, especially one that's only a stones throw from Missouri, we'd solve this occasional problem and move to Missouri where we both work and our horses are boarded. Alas, finding someone THAT dumb is a pretty difficult task, so we're pretty much stuck where we're at.😖

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!