Rode this bus as a kid on the Madison St. line and the Grand Street & E. Broadway line. Loved this bus. Wanted to be a bus driver because of it. Grand St. & E. Broadway garage was located on Water St., Manhattan, about 23 blocks from where I lived. Had dreams of his bus all the way into my 80s.  Wrote about it in Clifff Notes on the Knickerbocker Village blogspot

• Like 1
  • Like 1

back on the middle 60s we had a diesel school bus that was bad ass great memories sound and smell. Probably the same memories of you have has this huge steering wheel it  smelled bad ass diesel exhaust. Great memories as a child. Look like an old Ralph cramden City bus

With some pics maybe someone can track that bus down for you. 

Lol I can't say I have all that many fond memories of the school bus. Maybe a few more years? lots of kids pissing in bottles and getting the bus stuck on occasion. 

Our district had a massive mid 80s Bluebird with a little 5.9 cummins up front, 55 was the top speed (on flat ground) with no AC. When we dropped to 6 man football this became a problem when we had to drive 100+ miles across the state for games. Got a grant of some sort and got a sweet bluebird with a 6.7 rear engine now. 

• Like 1

Ours were all bluebirds with GMC front ends spoke wheels ,,, and as white mentioned the dreaded ride, headed to the joint ha ha that’s what we used to call it the pen most of us hated going there… bob

Plenty pix of the CL on the Mack site. This wasn't a school bus but a NY City transportation bus run by NYC and the privately owned Grand St. and E. Broadway service. I rode on the Madison St. line  I did manage to once ese the maintenance vehicle pictures on the Mack site with the short cab and  open truck bed-like rear. The bus had a great smell to it along with memorable rattles. Loved the circular mirror in the interior above the front entrance door. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...