E7 rebuild Q

On the ETECH motors I think I've heard that the lower exhaust manifold bolts are open to the pushrod passageways, so you can get oil coming through the stud threads. Probably not part of the issue, but maybe?

• Like 1

yes,  the lower exhaust stud holes are open. they go into the pushrod bore..  with this being said, if you re-seal/replace them be sure to avoid running those studs too deep. you WILL hit the pushrod..  the stud end in the head is about 3/4''..  if you decide to pull the heads, before you do, get a dozen M16 x 75mm long bolts, and large washers the same size as a half dollar.  you will use these to hold the liners down. this way when you are rotating the crank to inspect the liners, you wont risk the chance of moving a liner.  It's rare, but possible..  Jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

yes,  the lower exhaust stud holes are open. they go into the pushrod bore..  with this being said, if you re-seal/replace them be sure to avoid running those studs too deep. you WILL hit the pushrod..  the stud end in the head is about 3/4''..  if you decide to pull the heads, before you do, get a dozen M16 x 75mm long bolts, and large washers the same size as a half dollar.  you will use these to hold the liners down. this way when you are rotating the crank to inspect the liners, you wont risk the chance of moving a liner.  It's rare, but possible..  Jojo

He is working on an E7 mechanical, not sure if the heads are the same as the E7 ETECH engines. Do the older E7's have this exhaust stud issue too?

yes,,  especially in re-man heads..  I think they werent fully drilled through and you can punch out the slug if you put the stud in too far..  I think i remember that  🤔

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 4:32 PM, Joey Mack said:

just look at cross hatching..  if there is some left, just hone them and GO!..  the new rings will make up the difference.  it will run fine..  you may have to trim the carbon ridge at the top of the liner, but that is common for liner re-use.. before you pull the heads, come back for more advice..  

exactly the route I would take if I was in your shoes!pop the heads off in a lump don’t take everything apart leave manifolds on! Pull the pan pop out the pistons ball hone the liners be careful not to hit piston coolers new rod and mains re ring and reassemble!likely cost a lot less than ten k and worth the effort in your case and if it goes sideways in a few years you aren’t out much!

• Like 1

If you're doing the heads yourself, DONT SWT THEM DOWN "RIGHT SIDE UP"! The injector nozzles stick down into the combustion chamber, you'll crush the tips! Either set them down on cribbing or set them down on their side.

• Like 1

All good tips, thanks. Also does worn rings contribute to lower boost pressure? I can only get like 23 tops and that’s going up a grade with a 20 load workin its ass off. I’ve read about other things posted on this site that causes low boost and I will check those. Seems like people with e7s on here talk about getting 28-30 or more but maybe that’s with larger turbo and injectors etc. 

47 minutes ago, Straydog954 said:

All good tips, thanks. Also does worn rings contribute to lower boost pressure? I can only get like 23 tops and that’s going up a grade with a 20 load workin its ass off. I’ve read about other things posted on this site that causes low boost and I will check those. Seems like people with e7s on here talk about getting 28-30 or more but maybe that’s with larger turbo and injectors etc. 

It can contribute! A strong/ fresh    350   25 - 28 psi  /  460  33 - 38 ! If your trailing Smoke under a pull you may have a boost leak, another symptom is if you have a pyrometer it will raise quick! Can't emphasize enough !  You have to take in to account the age and what's worth spending for what your doing! oil is cheap in some ways! 

just stuff to consider! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fjh said:

It can contribute! A strong/ fresh    350   25 - 28 psi  /  460  33 - 38 ! If your trailing Smoke under a pull you may have a boost leak, another symptom is if you have a pyrometer it will raise quick! Can't emphasize enough !  You have to take in to account the age and what's worth spending for what your doing! oil is cheap in some ways! 

just stuff to consider! 

I hear ya loud n clear. I decide I’m gonna run this thing thru a shop and give it a new set of nutz! Need to work this truck another 10 yrs minimum. Tired of the blow by fumes in the cab. Will repost at a later date with results. Thanks everyone for the posts   

What cab is this truck, RD690? You could have a fatigue crack on the charge air cooler, my 95 e7-350 had one running most of the way down the passenger side. My truck made 25 psi ever since we bought it in 2009, ran hot on the pyro too. Last year it started dipping closer to 22 psi max. Found the cracked CAC, put a new one on and now I get 34 psi on a good pull, and cooler pyro temps. Rarely over 900 degrees now.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JoeH said:

What cab is this truck, RD690? You could have a fatigue crack on the charge air cooler, my 95 e7-350 had one running most of the way down the passenger side. My truck made 25 psi ever since we bought it in 2009, ran hot on the pyro too. Last year it started dipping closer to 22 psi max. Found the cracked CAC, put a new one on and now I get 34 psi on a good pull, and cooler pyro temps. Rarely over 900 degrees now.

That’s exceptional boost for a 350 your fortunate!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Yes 96 RD690. Truck doesn’t have a pyro. but I need to get one. I will have to look for cracks. I also read where you can cap off both ends of CAC and put 20lbs of air or so in it and put it in a tub of water to find any leaks. 

you dont have to remove the CAC.  just spray with soapy water..  there usually crack on the right side near the top and along the weld on the tank..  Just like Joeh said. 

• Like 1

Just had my plugs out the other day, I forget if it's 3 or 4 inch, schedule 40 PVC pipe caps from home Depot. Plugs right into the rubber boots on the CAC.

Drill one and put a wheel valve stem in it. Should be good for 35 psi, if it leaks you'll know quick.

Well Straydog,  I appreciate the fact that you want to get it re-built..  Please make sure the shop knows how to do Mack engines.  especially setting the liners to the correct height.  and ask if they have a counter bore cutter in the case the shelves are pitted out to the edge.  

14 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Well Straydog,  I appreciate the fact that you want to get it re-built..  Please make sure the shop knows how to do Mack engines.  especially setting the liners to the correct height.  and ask if they have a counter bore cutter in the case the shelves are pitted out to the edge.  

Yes sir will do. I’m not going to miss the little extra money spent. Either way I will still be sleeping in the same house and driving the same pickup. May just have to hide the checkbook for a little bit…….

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

What he said!😃liner height over 24 -28 is best!

5 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Yes. However there is a spec for re- use.. 

I’m going with a high volume pump because I’m adding a Jake to this engine. I can go Remack or new PAI? Any difference here? Remack would be less money

My CAC testing kit. Two 3 inch PVC pipe caps from Home Depot, one with a wheel valve stem for pressurizing. Third fitting is a 2 inch cap wrapped in electrical tape to make the difference to the 3" required by my MR688S. Uses a different size CAC outlet than my RD688S. Just tossing this out there into the Abyss of BigMackTrucks info.

KIMG1806.JPG

KIMG1807.JPG

• Like 1
  • Like 1