2007 Mack Tandem Dump ASET Engine Skip & Tapping Under of Valve Cover

Go to solution Solved by Joey Mack,

Sounded like engine skipping through exhaust (appeared to be a dead cylinder).  Felt loss of power and as I throttled truck, sounded like spark knock (lightening bolt appeared on dash but before I could count blinks, it cleared).  What would I be looking for or checking into that may cause this? Sounds to me like an injector trying to work, but not working.  Does not sound like valve train - sounds like an individual tick.

Any leads on what to check on next?  

Did you use a stethoscope to locate the sound? Do you have an infrared temp gun to check the exhaust. Manifold per each cylinder?

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Did you use a stethoscope to locate the sound? Do you have an infrared temp gun to check the exhaust. Manifold per each cylinder?

stethoscope/ infrared temp gun??? what are these things you speak of ??? guess you forgot the yellow crayon method. .forgive me Sir , I had a  tooo!!!!🤣major long day out in the cold prepping for the north east Blissard which mistakenly I assumed those projects for me  were over 40-50 yrs ago, Jack Daniels hasn't kicked in yet, knees let me know == not going to fill gas cans. gotta get back on topic .my john deere fires on all cyl ok== both of them LOL

Yes I did forget about the crayons,,  I didnt use them much..  as far as a stethoscope goes, Yes I have one, but I actually use a long peice of 3/8'' car brake line to listen to the engine and so-on.. The temp gun is pretty cool,   you can stand back and take temperature..  sorry Old Man :)  but there are some neat ways to diagnose,,, i mean trouble shoot, issues.... I always chuckle when you post..  Jojo

• Haha 1

Thanks.  I tried using stethoscope, but was too noisy for me to detect.
I used temp gun and attached are the temps at engine idle.  It's obvious the front cylinders are significantly lower.  I was initially thinking it could be an injector, but wondering if I should lift the front valve cover just for a visual inspection.   Just looking for some guidance. 

image.thumb.png.1cbbc3a06518cc4ef580245d7569699e.png

• Solution

it wouldnt hurt to check lash again,, have you ever run the rack on an ASET-I or C engine?  Just curious..   It is not the same as Earlier Macks, Cat or John Deere, for example..   Jojo

No and probably won’t  attempt it . I am trying  to get a feel for what or how to diagnose the problem . I just hate taking it In with no clue ? Im sure it involves the two front cylinders , thinking it may be odd for 2 injectors to croak at the same time . Just don’t want to start experimenting without some knowledgeable advice . I know these engines are computer controlled , wasn’t sure about loosening injector lines or other manual testing methods  ! Thinking I will lift valve cover on front and take a look for loose rockers on the two cylinders that are in the 150 degree range. What’s your thoughts ?

I'd pull valve cover. Never know what you'll see, broken rocker arm shafts, broken valve stem....

I'd also look into condition of the camshaft EUP's and H Clips, you could have broken bits there eating up the camshaft. If so, this would be a prime time to read the "old dog dead dog loggin dog" remediation thread to delete your ASET AI (guessing your truck is a granite) emissions system.

yes, pull the valve covers, certainly wouldnt hurt to drop the oil pan.  if you have lifter issues there will likely be bits in the pan.  you describe the sound as a clicking.  so it is not popping back into the intake or ''poof poof poof'' out the exhaust? is the oil level raising up, and /or is the oil diluted with fuel.  you can do a simple 'halo' test on a piece of cardboard to see if the oil is diluted. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

yes, pull the valve covers, certainly wouldnt hurt to drop the oil pan.  if you have lifter issues there will likely be bits in the pan.  you describe the sound as a clicking.  so it is not popping back into the intake or ''poof poof poof'' out the exhaust? is the oil level raising up, and /or is the oil diluted with fuel.  you can do a simple 'halo' test on a piece of cardboard to see if the oil is diluted. 

Joey your comment on the poof poof out the exhaust, I once had a DM with a 237, when ever you backed off it or coasted down a hill it would do that, had a loose exhaust seat, ran a long time that way. When I eventually pulled the head you could see where it was moving up and down in the carbon buildup.  Terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

thanks for all the input ! due to a surgery i had planned i will be down a couple weeks . as soon as i can pull the valve cover i will relay what i find with pictures . i will continue to monitor this topic.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Granitecv713 said:

after recovery from surgery i was able to get on checking on my issue with my skip in my aset engine ! I will not take credit for the repair , but with your comments and my mobile mechanic  he set out to go through a valve train adjustment ! that all went well until we rotated the engine back through to double check everything .at this point he said the rear cylinder adj. was out of adj, bad . as he continued inspecting  , he found that someone had tighten up the rocker cradle with an impact gun ! Broken and loose bolts had caused my valve adj  on rear  cylinder to be my  issue ! Many thanks to all who contributed input on my issue ! I have had 100% success on every issue i have had using this site (BMT) and its helpful followers

Wouldn't hurt to have him replace all the rocker bolts! they are torque sensitive !

• Like 1