Superliner front end bounce

cfd511

So today was the first day towing a low boy on my 92 superliner with 350. I noticed a front end bounce while cruising 45-50 mph. it was bad enough that it made me uncomfortable to say the least.it got new king pins. I did notice the motor is moving a lot so I think I have a broken engine mount. its going to mechanic in the am. any idea so I make sure he looks at everything.

Steer tyres out of balance, for some reason always worse at 80kmh/ 50mph.

Engine mount shouldn't cause bounce at cruise, but on/off power would be noticeable.

As Paul said, pin too far back, not enough weight on steer axle, crook shocks

• Like 1

Rubber bushings probably bad on the engine mount, no big deal to replace.  Could have loose bolts threading the rear engine mounts into the bell housing. Bellhousing is probably aluminum, so hopefully they aren't stripped out.  

How's your 5th wheel positioned? Is it dead center over the tandem or is it forward enough to put some weight on the steer axle?

What weight rating springs are on your steer axle? Too light could be too weak to steady out any uneasiness in the chassis.

Does it do this around 45-50mph on all roads or just on one particular road at a certain spot? I've got roads around me that certain bends make you feel like the tie rods are about to fall off. Only does it at one pair of bends, everywhere else it does fine. Had another road started making my triaxle buck for a couple hundred yards, always the same exact strip, then they came through and paved the road and the truck goes smooth as glass over it now.

bad or broken engine mount should show a gear shift moving erratic .  cruising 45-50 would be a "no strain  "condition for drive train. engine mount/ rubbers wouldn't be under load to twist UNLESS the cruising condition  involved torque. change the front tires with another set if possible or have those balanced to confirm they aren't the problem. had a brand new truck with vibration at 40-50 mph = turns out the balance weight fell of the rim == think I'm showing my age again. tires were bias not tubeless . also how is the word "bounce " used  in reference to problem .  truck bouncing up/ down or is it shimming at 45-50/ wandering ?? I agree with all above comments terms of 5th wheel set wrong  etc. was the low bed empty or hauling a D-10!! (i know it can't just point of issue).

• Like 1

So the truck doesnt shack at all. It a up and down . Feels like there no weight on front end . Drives fine when no trailer on the back. Only gets real scary with volvo 160 on a lowboy. King pin is dead center of tandem i believe . Will confirm in am . I def feel the motor mount . Feels like engine gunna twist out of truck.

It doesn't have to be very far forward of the center,  maybe only a inch or so

It depends on the local laws a weight limits on axles

Should be a full load on the steer when you have full weight on the drives

This will vary on wheel base and laws etc

You should be able to get it pretty much spot on first go

Weigh just the steer axle no load

Weigh just the drives no load

Get some old style kitchen scales and a piece of say 2 x 1 wood long enough to measure your wheel base at scale you choose, maybe 1 inch equals 1 foot

Then two kitchen scales, something like this

_1.png.68fb443b2cd58cde8d54686d7e546c65.png

Maybe use a 1 - 200 scale as in

1 pound on the scales equals 200 pounds in the real world

One scale is drive axle center the other is steer axle

Put the 2 x 1 on top with scaled wheel base to match the measurements on the stick and center these marks in the middle of each scale

Load these up to match the tare weight

From the gross weight your allowed to carry you subtract the tare

Scale this weight to the same ratio as tare weight

Then place this on the stick and move it along until the weight is in the ratio from steer to drive axles

This is your king pin location 

This was how things were done before computers and trucks run at maximum weight

By doing this you can't over load the steer but always have plenty of weight to make the truck handle properly 

Paul 

8 hours ago, JoeH said:

I think you need the king pin forward 6 inches or so. Wiser heads will steer you straight. If your 5th wheel is too far back you can do this...

https://youtu.be/udE01fKbWCk?si=PhfTDYy6-Snp3YSc

l just saw that video the first of the week! LMAO! That poor puppy dog. l missed where the 5th wheel was. l thought it was because of all of that RAW power under the hood! drip drip drip lol    .....Hippy

would think it has a slider 5th wheel, easy check would be move wheel one way or other. post was put up on Thursday with unit going to mechanic Friday (yesterday); hope  this has a follow up. noticed on many post placed on BMT  forums  NOT MANY update on  results . 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

would think it has a slider 5th wheel, easy check would be move wheel one way or other. post was put up on Thursday with unit going to mechanic Friday (yesterday); hope  this has a follow up. noticed on many post placed on BMT  forums  NOT MANY update on  results . 

I have never seen a 5th wheel that slides in Australia 

I have me a feeling they are not allowed out here for what ever reason 

Swishman will know more than me about this stuff

But yes if the 5th wheel can be slid then forget my long winded drawn out procedure and put the scales back in the kitchen for the cook 

Paul

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I have never seen a 5th wheel that slides in Australia 

I have me a feeling they are not allowed out here for what ever reason 

Swishman will know more than me about this stuff

But yes if the 5th wheel can be slid then forget my long winded drawn out procedure and put the scales back in the kitchen for the cook 

Paul

NOT a long winded  procedure but  free  knowledgeable  advice from reputative source. have ALWAYS had respect for the Australian culture and it's people.so close on the globe yet so different in operations.