1941 Mack A40 Magnadyne idle issue

FireSKip17

Helping a friend with an antique fire engine. I can not tell what size this Magnadyne engine is, attached are photos of the block stamping.  We can not get it to idle with the choke off. Will only run with half choke or with a 1/4 or more throttle. Had the carb rebuilt. Going to do the ignition system next. Slowly been burning out the old gas to try fresh fuel. I disconnected the vacuum line first thinking a leak but that did nothing. Sprayed down the intake manifold with carb cleaner to listen for an engine change but nothing. Only adjustments I can see on the carb are the 2 idle mixture screws and that's made no difference either. As soon as you put the choke in and off the throttle it dies. 

Any thoughts on what else I maybe missing.? What is the device between the carb and the manifold, I assume some type of governor? 

20231124_140352.jpg

20231218_130721.jpg

20231218_130515.jpg

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak 

Out with some WD 40 and spray it about the manifold mating surfaces and joins etc and if the engine revs change your getting close to solving the problem 

Make sure the carby base is flat and square 

Mums glass chopping board from the kitchen and spray some glue on and stick a sheet of fine-ish  sandpaper to it and rub the base of the carby in a figure 8 motion and this will soon show up if it is warpped

If it runs fine with the choke part out it won't be spark as spark is working okay

Paul

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Is the butterfly fully closing on idle 

If the idle is wound up to high the idle mixture will have no effect

The butterfly should be pretty much fully closed at idle to make the idle jet have any effect at all

If carb is spotless 

And the butterfly fully shut

As a general rule of thumb, wind the mixture screw fully in and back out 1 1/2 turns as the starting point 

On just about every motor I have ever worked on, this gets them running good enough to start tuning them

I still would be thinking you have a vacuum leak 

Does it have a power booster for the brakes if it has hydraulic brakes ?

The diaphrams on these perish and cause vacuum leaks

Pretty hard to be of much help when I'm in Australia and not standing beside the truck

But I'll try and help if I can 

Paul

I'll check the carb butterfly's. The idle screws are set to 1.5 turns. I unhooked the vacuum line and plugged it to eliminate the possibilities of leaks in the vacuum system.

Could the governor play any part in this issue?

Edited by FireSKip17

Years ago I had a Diamond T with a Hercules engine that had a large Zenith carb with a governor between it and the manifold. It had your same symptoms. I ended up hollowing out the governor and blocking all the vacuum holes and ports. It was then just a spacer. It ran fine after that. One other thing to check is the fuel pressure.

• Like 1

Far outside my expertise, but we have an old Oliver white tractor/forklift that we replaced the carb on a couple years ago and just hooked the governor back up a couple months ago. Man, it idles so much smoother now that it self regulates it's idle speed. I would look into your governor mechanism if all else checks out.