Timing 707c

Go to solution Solved by jebB,

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

Surprised you haven’t got an answer yet. Lots of guys on here know … bob

just when I think I'm maxed  out on what I forgot= a post like this shows up. books are gone so is memory banks, have been there done that situation can't remember the numbers .

7 hours ago, HarryS said:

I found an old B Model operation manual for gas powered trucks. It calls for 10* BTC with 91 octane gas. That was when gas was gas with lead and without alcohol. The closest thing in today's gas would be non ethanol with the same octane rating if you can find it. Probably have to experiment from that point.

Are you supposed to put harder valve seats in an older engine with the unleaded gas now?   Terry:MackLogo:

I believe they’ve found the newer gas doesn’t cause the valve and seat wear they thought it would. I’ve run older engines and haven’t had issues due to it. The engines I have had rebuilt, I did specify new valves with hardened seats. Mostly because they were worn and I wanted them to last. That’s been several Model T’s, flathead V8 and the ‘41 Cadillac I run. I’ve driven all extensively. There have been recommendations about adding Marvel Mystery Oil or 2 stroke oil when you fill up your tank I’ve read about. 

• Like 2

Years ago I bought a 62 Ford wagon 1990. It has been sitting since 74 with a full tank of gas believe it or not it ran like mad.Mad with that old shit in there ,,, one I burned it all up refilled the tank and and it didn’t have as much power afterwards 

13 hours ago, mowerman said:

Years ago I bought a 62 Ford wagon 1990. It has been sitting since 74 with a full tank of gas believe it or not it ran like mad.Mad with that old shit in there ,,, one I burned it all up refilled the tank and and it didn’t have as much power afterwards 

And yes, as I mentioned, I am still kicking myself in the ass that I sold  that car one owner 78,000 miles… bob

On 12/13/2023 at 10:06 PM, jebB said:

Got my info and found 13-18 degree is about right  she purring now

Took her out today she lost power on steep incline maybe not getting fuel have electric pump with regular on it going to open up some and maybe more timing a little 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 10:26 AM, HarryS said:

I found an old B Model operation manual for gas powered trucks. It calls for 10* BTC with 91 octane gas. That was when gas was gas with lead and without alcohol. The closest thing in today's gas would be non ethanol with the same octane rating if you can find it. Probably have to experiment from that point.

Yes found book it does say 10” in it and I have a fire truck and it said 0” so I change it…. Now have to wait for a good day to run her