Rear diff housing round tube, not square

SpreadingLime
Go to solution Solved by terry,

Hello all. I've recently acquired a '75 R685 for a parts truck/ fixer upper ( not sure yet ). As the title says the rear diff housings have round axle tubes instead of the square that I am used to. The carriers are Cr 92 & 93 , same as my other rigs. My question is are there any differences in round vs square housings. Are they just an old design? Thanks all. 

I think it comes down to the vendor that made them. I know that is the way it is on other makes. Being Mack rears are Mack only, I can't be sure. I've had IHC's with both types, and in the book, it stated it was who supplied the housing to IHC, other than that there is no difference

I know that "Mack" rears HAVE been made by other people than Mack.  Not sure what years, though.  A few years ago, we were in a Meritor (formerly Rockwell) plant, and they had "Mack" rears, which Meritor had made there, stacked to the ceiling.  Contract work, I suppose.  Again, not sure if that happened that long ago.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

rackin  my brain on this one ; should remember . question I have is the rating on the rears  34k /44k  and so on. can't remember a round tube in 55k class.  34's with lighter spring set up and rubber bushings ??  I know as stated other vendors made "mack" parts. 92/93 carriers ; going with the R 685 is an R685st .  are both units same gvw rating ?

3 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

Rockwell made their own "top losding double reduction rears, are you sure they were not those models?

According to the folks in the plant, these were made for Mack.  Not sure if that was a 1-time thing, an ongoing order, or what.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Thanks all of you for the info. The history that all of you have stored away is always impressive. "Mech" you are correct on the truck being a 685ST. Build sheet from Mack says that the rears are 38K. I kind of suspected that the round tubes were just an older design like Terry had stated. Everyone have a good weekend.