E6 or E7 identification

rhinoo

Looking at buying an 688st and the guy said his father in law had a rebuilt e7 engine into the truck. Was wondering if anyone can identify the engine off of a couple pics I got. I have an e7 in a Rd dump truck but haven’t been around an E6. Thanks 

Edited by rhinoo

5 minutes ago, rhinoo said:

Looking at buying an 688st and the guy said his father in law had a rebuilt e7 engine into the truck. Was wondering if anyone can identify the engine off of a couple pics I got. I have an e7 in a Rd dump truck but haven’t been around an E6. Thanks 

1181D1DB-A15B-46DC-AF90-8579FCFC2E33.thumb.png.4b5898e5c07ac6ae173bf21f5bf4250f.png

Should be an aluminum plate behind the injection pump riveted to the block with all ID info on it. Little hard to see but with a bright flashlight you should be able to read it. Otherwise, the engine block ID is stamped into the flange where the front cover bolts on right in front of the injection pump. I you have trouble finding it I can post a pic. 

Edited by Licensed to kill

19 hours ago, rhinoo said:

1181D1DB-A15B-46DC-AF90-8579FCFC2E33.thumb.png.4b5898e5c07ac6ae173bf21f5bf4250f.png

Guy found the engine tag. It’s says E6-350R… I’m a little bummed because the e7 in my dump truck is impressive with stage 2 injectors and a big turbo but I talked to Brad at Rochester and he said we can still make it run good but a 10 liter engine just seems awfully small to get a whole lot out of. 

Just now, rhinoo said:

Guy found the engine tag. It’s says E6-350R… I’m a little bummed because the e7 in my dump truck is impressive with stage 2 injectors and a big turbo but I talked to Brad at Rochester and he said we can still make it run good but a 10 liter engine just seems awfully small to get a whole lot out of. 

I was gonna add a pic of the tag but I can’t figure it out. 😆

11 liter, not 10.  Don't be fooled by its size, Mack rated their HP at the wheels, not at the flywheel.  So a 350 Mack should make more power than another brand 350.  I haven't driven an E6-350, but it should pull well. Only turn it up if you're the only one that's going to drive it, and don't do much. They're incredible engines for their size, and Mack maxed them out at the perfect power vs durability ratio. If you tip more towards the power then you'll lose durability.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

11 liter, not 10.  Don't be fooled by its size, Mack rated their HP at the wheels, not at the flywheel.  So a 350 Mack should make more power than another brand 350.  I haven't driven an E6-350, but it should pull well. Only turn it up if you're the only one that's going to drive it, and don't do much. They're incredible engines for their size, and Mack maxed them out at the perfect power vs durability ratio. If you tip more towards the power then you'll lose durability.

Ok. 11 liter sounds better than 10.. is there any way to tell if it’s a two valve without removing the valve covers? It does have a 13spd behind it so that will help 

34 minutes ago, BOBWhite said:

Tread lightly when tuning an E6 especially a 2 valve. 

I did tune my e7 and it’s a powerhouse now. I am leery about anyone else driving it though because in those long pulls I have to lift up on the accelerator a little or it egt’s get a little warm. Does the 2 valve let it heat up even more?

2 hours ago, rhinoo said:

I did tune my e7 and it’s a powerhouse now. I am leery about anyone else driving it though because in those long pulls I have to lift up on the accelerator a little or it egt’s get a little warm. Does the 2 valve let it heat up even more?

Not much more flow you can get out of an only 2 valves per cylinder although I've heard some say they pull just as good or better than the later 4 valve E6. More fuel will just add to EGT and smoke out of exhaust. Plus the bottom ends of the E6's are made only as strong as they need to be and not much more. I've heard of crank shafts snapping. 

• Like 1

Pyro on my E7 says downshift at 1025 degrees. Pyro on my ENDT676 (1979 2 valve precursor to the E6, pretty much the same engine except for fueling/powerband) says downshift at 1125 degrees. You'll have 13 gears so that'll help you keep in the powerband. The E7 is only 12 liters, so at 11 on the E6 youre not far off.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

They're incredible engines for their size, and Mack maxed them out at the perfect power vs durability ratio. If you tip more towards the power then you'll lose durability.

That kinda sounds like what I was saying on Jo-Jo's thread!  Well put, Joe!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."