E7 427 starting issue

I drive a 2001 cx613 with an E7-427. The problem I've beem having lately is that it won't start without starting fluid more often than not. I replaced the fuel filters thinking they were dirty but didn't fix the problem. Then I replaced the check valve in the fuel return line on the passanger side of the block. Still not much help. Could the fuel transfer pump be crapping out or should I look elsewhere? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

1st.... Stop using Ether.. does it start back up after it runs for a bit?

Have you pumped the hand primer before starting it to see if you have fuel pressure in the galleries?

Have either the cam or crank sensor been touched before this issue?

No Ether.....

Edited by Joey Mack
Pore cell fone sperring
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

Have you pumped the hand primer before starting it to see if you have fuel pressure in the galleries?

No Ether.....

The fuel transfer pump is a good possibility! The hand primer mentioned  By joe there should prove this theory! The crank sensor could have a build up of clutch dust and fragments on it remove and clean that! Clean the block grounds under the starter! all easy stuff to check! before using the parts canon ! AND AS STATED  No Ether.....

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2023 at 5:56 AM, Joey Mack said:

No Ether.....

It doesn't matter if it was just running or been shut off all night, no re-start. The primer pump does nothing, I can pump it all day and it doesn't help anything. Replaced the tranfer pump, no change. Checked fuel lines, no leaks. Now it started dumping fuel into the oil pan. Smells like raw fuel out the stacks when its running. Will put a gallon or more of fuel in the oil in 600 miles. 

Have you done any work in the EUP's?  When the lower o-ring goes bad, it will put fuel in the crankcase..  

If you are not familiar with how to remove and install the EUP'S, come back here and we will guide you.. Jojo

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

Have you done any work in the EUP's?  When the lower o-ring goes bad, it will put fuel in the crankcase..  

If you are not familiar with how to remove and install the EUP'S, come back here and we will guide you.. Jojo

We replaced #3 all together and o-rings on #6. No change. I'm starting to think its injectors because of the raw fuel smell out the stacks. Don't know how to confirm that without yanking them and sending them out to be inspected. 

Get it sorted out before you get a runaway motor that starts running on its fuel diluted engine oil...

I believe there's a fuel gallery plug under the timing cover that can work loose.  Not sure if you can get to it without taking the timing cover off.

• Like 1

There is a plug, 4 actually, 2 on the front and JoeH is right, one is behind the timing cover..  every time I have the front cover off I check them, and I have found the hidden one leaking..  it isnt very common, but its possible...

• Like 1
  • Like 1