v-mac III code 5-3 and 5-5 with shutdown light and buzzer above 1500 rpm????

I have a 2001 ch613  and I keep getting a shutdown light and buzzer if I go above 1500 or so rpms for more than a second or two, (( like when going through higher gears )). It doesn't actually turn the truck off and if you bump it in neutral for a second it will go off and stay off if you stay under 1500 ish....

It has code 5-3 and 5-5 and my vmac III service manual has me go through steps that lead me to check vecu connector J3 pin 8 for short to ground or power. Problem is, J3 doesn't have a pin in position 8 and on top of that nothing in the troubleshooting mentions this code being rpm related. I have and extra ecu and an extra vecu and have swapped both of them and the problem remains the same. With any combination of the setup I can clear the code using nexi and mack software and it comes back immediately.

Any thoughts?

Sometimes the pictures in the VMAC 3 troubleshooting manual are shown from the wrong end of the connector. Sometimes it’s looking at the front of the connector and sometimes from the rear. Best to check the actual wire number on the wire itself . VJ3-08-0.8

Changed ecu, vecu, engine wiring harness, instrument cluster, cam sensor, flywheel sensor, checked batteries, cables, and alternator, went over cab harness and found no rubbed spots. Cleared codes and they stayed gone. Just keep getting shutdown light and alarm if I go above 1500 or so. Bump neutral and let it idle about 5 seconds and go again as long as you stay under 1500. Doesn't matter if you use the pedal or the cruise and doesn't matter if you're pulling or letting it rev by holding back going downhill, same result above 1500 rpm

Is there anywhere in the Mack software to monitor with the laptop that will tell me why the shutdown light is being triggered? Not getting electronic malfunction light to give a code only the shutdown light. I understand this is triggered by the data link and I'm just wondering if the laptop has somewhere that will show where the signal is coming from to trigger it

If the the shut down is not accompanied by a malfunction light  nothing will be logged! just something to try, reflash the ECU! also just a thought ,I Wonder if something was set in the over speed section of the EECU that you changed ! either way a reflash my correct this!

Let's start with basic. 2 sensors trigger the shutdown alarm. Oil pressure and coolant level. Replace them both.  The coolant sensor has a problem "wicking" coolant along through the sensor to the EECU causing pins to rot out on the EECU. Maybe your coolant sensor is failing. I think there might be 2 oil pressure sensors, one for the EECU and one for the gauge. I think. Joey Mack can correct me, and describe their locations. 

• Like 1

E-Tech has one oil sensor on top of the centrimax , and can have an oil line too, for the gauge..  later engines have 2 ports on the oil filter stands right side. Oil pressure and temp. Sometimes only pressure sensor is installed.. if memory serves me correctly 

On 8/1/2023 at 6:41 PM, JoeH said:

Let's start with basic. 2 sensors trigger the shutdown alarm. Oil pressure and coolant level. Replace them both.  The coolant sensor has a problem "wicking" coolant along through the sensor to the EECU causing pins to rot out on the EECU. Maybe your coolant sensor is failing. I think there might be 2 oil pressure sensors, one for the EECU and one for the gauge. I think. Joey Mack can correct me, and describe their locations. 

I totally agree with this check the ECU plug .Also the VECU plug under the dash if it gets wet it can cause issues if the wind shield has been leaking!

• Like 1

I changed the EECU and the engine harness to rule out bad computer or wiring with no change. That was my way of reflashing the computer I just changed it to a different one . There's no ELD plugged into the data port. Oil pressure sensor and coolant level sensor and coolant temperature sensor have all been changed with no difference. The plugs going to the vecu all 3 look good no corrosion or rusting or rotting of any kind on any of that wiring. I took the dash cluster out and unsoldered the buzzer out of it and threw it in the toolbox and went back to driving the truck. The light on the dash doesn't bother me at all just had to get rid of that annoying buzzer. Going to add my own low air alarm and Let It Go.

• Like 1

I just read through the post for the ''th'' time..  I dont see were you pulled the cluster out and checked the plugs and terminal, and also unscrew the mother board to inspect it for dust or dark soldered points, that would indicate a loose weld. I would like to see a picture of the installed cluster