Mack r 688 shuts down while driving

cfd511

I have a 2000 mack rd 688 . While driving the truck will lose all throttle response and shit down. If i feather the peddle i can get it to come  back to life if i leave in gear or i can pull out of gear , turn switch off and start again and it first right up. I drove for a little while yeaterday and nothing happened . My worker was driving and running loads today and it happened . Seems to happen randomly or when gets hot. Also when the truck shuts down while your driving , a huge cloud of black smoke comes out from stack . Any ideas , im thinking maybe the ecu

How about loose ground wires????   ECU issues are rare..  Simple stuff is common..  Look up how to fix a 9-2 code...  Mack E-Media has a bulletin..  and Myself and a handful of others have posted the procedure here on BMT...   You Will be pissed when you buy an ECM, that know one knows how to 'Flash' , only to find out the engine block ground bolt was loose...   Jojo

10 hours ago, JoeH said:

The black smoke seems odd, but does it trigger a fault code? Does the lightning bolt dash light work?  I chased a similar situation on my 2003 mr688, it wound up being the EECU fuse/circuit breaker was loose.

check the air inlet system for rags bags  and bird nests! Black smoke is a lack of air problem not fuel or Electrical! also I have seen where the little plastic rain cap on an MR can suck down  maybe this is could be happening on the RD and cap  off air to the engine check that  or remove it see if the problem goes away! the other Possibility is the truck equipped with an air cutoff valve Oil PATCH truck or gas hauler ?  The other thins to check for is the charge air hoses to the engine could be rotten and coming apart inside and are creating a flapper valve inside the hose where you can't see it! if any of the hoses look rotten change em!

• Like 2

Good call fjh,  Once upon a time in my trash collecting days, I drove a MR with a Leach packer body on it, and the air intake rain cap had gotten pushed down by a branch or something, and compromised the mesh on one side,  it would run like a champ all day long and lose power/black smoke and kill itself only when climbing this specific hill. pull over and it would start right up and run fine till the next climb... took a bit to catch it but it is a possibility to check in too for sure.... Was almost 25 yrs ago when I piloted that fine unit... Old age brain fog had clouded that memory...

• Like 1

Update ,

mehcanic thought the turbo inlet tube was collapsing , disconnected tub all together and truck ran well so he put a hard air inlet tub in .

fast forward to today and we are

stuck on the side of the road. Truck starts , idles at 900 rpm , no throttle Response and when you turn the ket off, the truck starts to shut down and when it almost shuts off it it goes back to running then tried to shit off again

• 3 months later...