Mack RS series

Just now, Bullheaded said:

My favorites up here Bob were what they called the Hamilton steel hauler specs.......long wheelbase with 60 or 72 inch rear axle spreads and fuel tanks from the front axle to the rears. They just looked cool.

We had an outfit out here years back ran F models too many years ago. I can’t remember the name of the company but they had the same size fuel tanks. I talked to one of the drivers one day. He said they’re set up that way so they could run California to Elpaso and back without fueling. 

6 minutes ago, mowerman said:

We had an outfit out here years back ran F models too many years ago. I can’t remember the name of the company but they had the same size fuel tanks. I talked to one of the drivers one day. He said they’re set up that way so they could run California to Elpaso and back without fueling. 

One particular fleet we had here that had them was a steel hauler and they were green daycabs. But for the life of me I can't even remember their name now. I think it was Sureway Transport???

Imagine filling those tanks today! LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

i love my new Kenworth T880 as i am in my twilight years, but i will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Mack R-688.

in my youth i started in a 49 International L-190.

than moved to a Mack B-815, than a 79 DM-800. than in 85 a new 85 DM-800. i put close to 500k miles on those two DM's

in 88 i  got a brand new R-688. and i put almost 1 million miles on 688's over the next 20 years. 

in 09 i got a 2 year old CV-713. 

in 2010 i switched companies after the other one went bankrupt due to the owner going to prison for bribing federal inspectors. 
i moved into a 99 R-688. ran that one for 4 years and than back into a 05 CV713. 

in 2016 we sold that and i went into a 2010 Kenworth T880. in 2019  we sold that and i went into a new T880. 

last september we sold that one for $20G more than we paid for it with 75k miles on it and i moved into the new 2022 T880.

of my over 2 million miles driven, over 1.5 million were in macks. 

Dang; that's an impressive "profile" ::B-815 to two DM800's to R-688!! I spent too much  time wrenching  vs driving. had a B-81 dump at the farm last yr , hoping to get running. go to work one day truck gone !! WTF. owner "oh I sold it . least he could have done was wait for day I was there so I could say "good bye  " . did get quite a few hrs behind a DM-800  at part-time job. tri-axle no floatation front tires, pulling out asphalt plant scaled 84K  it was a saturday boss said get all you can plants will be closing. the fun days , had a huge coal body  came from down south .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mowerman said:

These guys used to haul mail, same shit I can’t remember the name of the company F model sleepers 

That's another beautiful styling that will never be matched again....the F model.

I never got to drive an F or Cruiseliner, but drove a few V8 MH Ultraliners which are in my top 3 favorite.

• Like 1

the T800 was made for midgets. i could open the passenger door from the driver seat.

the T880 cab is twice the size of the T800 cab.  i am 6'1" and 290 lbs. the t800 tore up my hips and knees.

as far as being made for off road use, it is all how it is built.

our trucks are built for off road use, not on road. 565HP cummins engine instead of paccar engine. allison RDS4500 trans instead of the eaton fuller autoshift. heavy axles with 4.56 gears. 

most order with paccar engines, small axles, and 3.90 highway gears.

my truck tops out at 65 mph, my friends 13 trucks will do over 100 if they push them.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

the T800 was made for midgets. i could open the passenger door from the driver seat.

the T880 cab is twice the size of the T800 cab.  i am 6'1" and 290 lbs. the t800 tore up my hips and knees.

as far as being made for off road use, it is all how it is built.

our trucks are built for off road use, not on road. 565HP cummins engine instead of paccar engine. allison RDS4500 trans instead of the eaton fuller autoshift. heavy axles with 4.56 gears. 

most order with paccar engines, small axles, and 3.90 highway gears.

my truck tops out at 65 mph, my friends 13 trucks will do over 100 if they push them.

Ours is X15 Performance 525 (yes, underpowered for what we do on our 15% hills), 18 speed, 4.56 rears on 24.5 rubber and 52,000 rear Neway suspension and 20,000 front.

I just found in 5,000 km it has already become a rattle trap. And the 20,000 front axle is a Paccar....and I don't know if it has different geometry than other brands of front steer axles but this is the worst handling/feeling truck I have ever driven. The front end never feels "connected" to the road and the steering is very heavy even with dual steering boxes.

The interior has good fit and finish and the plastics and upholstery feel better quality than most, but everything is squeaking and rattling already.

And what's with the armrests on the seats? They seem to be made for people with half length arms, LOL

I remember the mine manager was so proud when he presented that thing to me and I told him "you got ripped off because I have twice the truck sitting in my driveway at home that I got for same price you paid." LOL

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

That's another beautiful styling that will never be matched again....the F model.

I never got to drive an F or Cruiseliner, but drove a few V8 MH Ultraliners which are in my top 3 favorite.

I owned both of those …..The cruise liner was my favorite as far as work performance great work truck  had the 350 thermodyne 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

One particular fleet we had here that had them was a steel hauler and they were green daycabs. But for the life of me I can't even remember their name now. I think it was Sureway Transport???

Imagine filling those tanks today! LOL

Ha ha that’s still driving me nuts they used to run mail…I think.  10 roads trucking probably took over… Bob