Maxitorque Hi/Low Synchronizer

awstyn

I have a Mack GU713 with a Maxitorque T309 and I need to remove the auxiliary housing (the housing that holds the three counter shafts). I hear that there is a special tool made by kent moore that holds the shafts in place so that you can remove the rear auxiliary housing with the transmission still in chassis. Does anyone know the part number for this tool or where to get it?

Thanks!!

Here is the tool list right from the horses mouth..  2 copies to be sure you can read it..  T-300 tool list. you dont need all of them.. but if you plan to buy all of them....  a new tranny is cheaper..  :) 

KIMG1746.JPG

KIMG1745.JPG

I know he needs the part number for the plate that holds the counter shafts, so you can pull the rear cover in chassis.. he will also need 4,,.  'Z' brackets to hold the counter shafts so he can remove the main shaft and synchro assembly..  I will try to get pictures when I get home later.. 

I knew I had the Mack in-chassis synchro book..  Here are the special tools to do the job.  the ''Z'' brackets can be home made, the holding plate costs more for a machine shop to make than it is to buy one..  Good luck,,  Jojo

KIMG1759.JPG

KIMG1760.JPG

KIMG1761.JPG

KIMG1762.JPG

is that a "sign" the synchros  go that often a book/ manual had to be printed  to show how ???  did a lot of rear synchros for RR's don't remember a manual printed. I know the maxi three-counter shaft  set up is a rebuild  challenge  no matter how it's done.

Im not really sure why a Mack 200 or 300 series synchro would go out early?  a lot of the time, the o-rings for the range shifters are not replaced/lubed every few years.. Sometimes I think that drivers flip to 'lo' at too high of a road speed and over speed the rear tranny gears..  I have seen worn clutching teeth, which I relate too slow range shifters due to bad or dry orings..  anyway,  I dont know if you have ever been inside a 200 or 300 series Mack tranny..  The synchro is large compared to Eaton or meritor..  I describe it as a 2 sides motorcycle clutch..  I believe there are 14 friction plates and 12 pressure plates,  plus a thick thrust washer..  It really isnt hard to repair, but having a book for the first few times is very important..  too many steps,  too just 'wing-it'...  🍻

• Like 1

Joey, 

I'm out of likes for today but would like to give my respect to you for that extensive sharing of info and tips on the transmission tools and repair. I have a general T200 overhaul manual but gladly saved the pics you posted on my 'puter. And now I can understand the way people fit the compound with a tranny on a truck.

I was told by one of former drivers of my SGT R-models that they removed and put back the compound housing a few times. And had plenty of headaches especially for the first time. Two things I know for sure. They had the job done and they didn't have any special installation tools definitely :)

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Joey, thank you for the offer. I have one interesting idea on how to modify T2090 on the ratios to better suit my needs. There seem some difficulties though. I need to play with shafts and gears a bit but that's not a deal of the day. I will make a post about that when able to get to the project. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012