Cold Starting

Lmackattack

When Its very cold out how do you get your old mech engine going.

I dont like to use either (unless very cold) and cant always plug in the blook heater.

with fresh batts, no block heater, I can crank it over and it will catch after about 5 sec of cranking. I have noticed that if I keep the throttle pedal 1/2 way to the floor, it helps get it going and I can let up before the unburned fuel chokes up the engine and makes the hard knock sounds... If I dont give it extra fuel on start up it struggles a little more and takes a few trys...pluged in it starts just like in summer time.

Is it safe to give it extra fuel on inital cranking it over???

Mine gets held to the FLOOR to get running when below freezing. I think that is what is in the manual if I remember right? Then I ease up as it starts to catch and actually run. I then have to hold it up to 1000 rpm or so to keep it running til it gets over the lope-da-lope routine.

I have not had to use ether since I put the 4-12v batteries in it. It cranks til I'm blue in the face and never slows down. Purrrfect!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

In winter time It can get down to -20F but mostly hangs around 20-30F because of the warm lake effect

summer time is anyware from 60-100F.

Larry

I just found my manual and it says depress the throttle on cold starting. I thought I had heard that before but just wanted see what others thought about that. :)

I was slways told to fire-wall macks till they hit on all 6. I drove an R model that had so much fuel turned to it you couldnt touch the pedal at all, it would make it worse. Make sure the ether u buy is for diesel engines. I think they have oil additves in some ethers specifically for diesel engines.

Well I don’t have a Mack yet but I have a cold natured tractor with a 6 cylinder in it and if it’s below 50 degrees it’s hard to start. It gets held wide open till it fires and then I ease up on it. Some times playing with the throttle a bit to make sure it picks up good on all cylinders. And if all else fails a snort or two of either.

• 2 months later...

Well I don’t have a Mack yet but I have a cold natured tractor with a 6 cylinder in it and if it’s below 50 degrees it’s hard to start. It gets held wide open till it fires and then I ease up on it. Some times playing with the throttle a bit to make sure it picks up good on all cylinders. And if all else fails a snort or two of either.

Here's a simple tip for starting your motor on a cold day. Take a Benzomatic torch(small propane) and move it back and forth on the intake manifold for a .couple of minutes. It'll heat the air going into the cylinders allowing for a quick start first time everytime. Also any fuel you put in the cylinders is good for lubrication, likewise the longer you crank before starting the more oil pressure you have at the bearings.Once you achieve maximum oil pressure it's good to run the motor at 1k rpm till it warms up. Always make sure your motor is warmed up before moving underload.Tombstone

Here's a simple tip for starting your motor on a cold day. Take a Benzomatic torch(small propane) and move it back and forth on the intake manifold for a .couple of minutes. It'll heat the air going into the cylinders allowing for a quick start first time everytime. Also any fuel you put in the cylinders is good for lubrication, likewise the longer you crank before starting the more oil pressure you have at the bearings.Once you achieve maximum oil pressure it's good to run the motor at 1k rpm till it warms up. Always make sure your motor is warmed up before moving underload.Tombstone.PS-If you care about your motor you won't put ether to it.

as a mechanic i've alawy's found that if ya give it a few pumps on the lift pump( as if your bleading air out of it ,but with all the bleeder's closed) till it gets a little harder to pump( slight pressure in the system )

it should start just fine. This is in Tasmania (where i am ) where temps get down to -5 to -10 degree's celcius