Camshaft position sensor

There is a depth measuring tool to tell how many if any shims are needed to install a new sensor. Really the only time you need it is if you have had the upper timing gear cover off or replaced the cover. Honestly, it’s usually the harness or harness end. I’ve only replaced 1 or two of the sensors ever. Pull the sensor and check for damaged end.  Using a ohm meter you should have 775-945 across the pins on sensor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mackpro said:

There is a depth measuring tool to tell how many if any shims are needed to install a new sensor. Really the only time you need it is if you have had the upper timing gear cover off or replaced the cover. Honestly, it’s usually the harness or harness end. I’ve only replaced 1 or two of the sensors ever. Pull the sensor and check for damaged end.  Using a ohm meter you should have 775-945 across the pins on sensor. 

Thanks I’ll check that harness tomorrow that should be the issue Thanks mack pro 

• 2 weeks later...

I put the old one back the same way it was just showing pic of it  how would I be able to tell if it’s making contact, I  put it in don't seem like it’s touching anything  do you think that one is bad Joey mack seems like it got hit in the corner . I know you need a tool to install new one don’t have it . 

The biggest issue I have with the MPs is that if you’re gonna try and cut cost and do the work yourself you’re still gonna have to buck up to buy a lot of “speciality” tools. Even ones like this to just change a sensor. If you’re only gonna do the job once it’s pry better to just take it to the mothership, funny how that works….However I love any kind of excuse to buy a new tool!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rsc1717 said:

Thanks ónix just been having a lot of issues coming up with This truck getting to them one by one . I’ll order the tool and go from there . Thanks  making another post about code p0410 that came back today . 

With these trucks one issue can cause a chain of events. However it’s not just Mack/Volvo engines with problems. To be honest I think they have the least amount of issues. 

• Like 1

Yeah ónix , on this one I’ll probably just leave it to them to take care of it not worth buying tool for just one sensor lol. Yeah and you’re right thats why I usually tackle my own jobs ,one because I like learning and also making sure no corners were cut . But with all the special tooling it makes it a little difficult and also got to have the correct scanning tools on top of it . 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

https://volvotrucks.vg-emedia.com/FileImageDisplay.aspx?FileId=6030&DisplayType=attachment         The tool number is 88800031 but no ones seem to make it other than Mack/Volvo . However I found on the Volvo side , it list the measurements from the tone wheel tooth to outer edge of the upper timing gear cover. Just line the tone wheel teeth  up to the middle of the hole use a depth mic to get a reading and choose the number of shims you need . I don’t remember the Mack bulletins showing the actual measurements, only to use the tool . 

Edited by Mackpro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1