237 turbo downpipe seals repaired

Freightrain

Been having leakage for a few years and wasn't sure what I could do about it.  Didn't try to see if Mack still offers parts.  I had it apart last summer and the seal rings were rusted solid and this leaked. My last ditch effort was to put some hi temp red rtv on it.  It sorta worked for a short time but by end of summer I could notice exhaust odor in the cab with the windows down.  If the windows were up with the A/C on it wasn't so noticeable.

I pulled it apart yesterday and started to work on loosening the seal rings.  Some light heating and tapping with a small ball peen hammer started to loosen the small ring.  I drizzled some oil and PB blaster on the ring and it continues to loosen to the point I was able to remove the ring.  It still has tension, so it will work again.  I started on the other end which took a bit more work to get loose. It finally came loose and I brought everything to work and sandblasted the pieces.  I will put the sleeve in a lathe and using a small tool be able to clean the grooves enough to get the rings to float again.  They fit, barely.  Once they fit well I will smear some never seize on the grooves, install the rings and reinstall the sleeve. I hope this eliminates my smokey leak.

IMG_20220424_135126977.jpg

IMG_20220428_204729921.jpg

IMG_20230109_111406038.jpg

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

have to be super cautious with the tapping. that flange cracks real easy; how do i know- been there done that.  letting the parts soak in good penetrating oil will work. put the flange in a gal can leave it for a while. i'm sure todays world there are many adhesives for sealing. in the "dinosaur days" I used the stove pipe sealer. worked for a time. 

• Like 1

If the rings have lost there tension then get a perfect circle piston and ring book and see if you can find the rings.I remember the parts department here looking them up 40 years ago.The inside of the turbo housing i think will have grooves worn inside.Cat makes some good exhast sealer but on that housing it is giving back and fort all the time.

• Like 2

glenn akers

9 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

have to be super cautious with the tapping. that flange cracks real easy; how do i know- been there done that.  letting the parts soak in good penetrating oil will work. put the flange in a gal can leave it for a while. i'm sure todays world there are many adhesives for sealing. in the "dinosaur days" I used the stove pipe sealer. worked for a time. 

Oh, I was super delicate.   My fall back plan was making a new one out of cast iron(I work at a machine shop, so that is not a big deal).  But saving the old one was my main plan.

2 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

If the rings have lost there tension then get a perfect circle piston and ring book and see if you can find the rings.I remember the parts department here looking them up 40 years ago.The inside of the turbo housing i think will have grooves worn inside.Cat makes some good exhast sealer but on that housing it is giving back and fort all the time.

I was wondering if they still had tension and I was careful with the heat by aiming it on the inside of the tube as to not untension the rings.  They popped loose and look just fine.  Yes, there are slight grooves on the mating pieces, but I think it will seal pretty well as is with the rings back in floating condition.  I have the grooves cleaned out, the rings float nice.  I'm going to paint the casting with some high temp paint from work and then never seize the rings and out it together.  Should be a major improvement.  My back up plan was getting some automotive rings in the correct size.  Looks to be std .093 wide rings.  I was also concerned about using a glue that was too stiff(like a manifold paste) seeing that this does float between two objects that expand/contract a lot.

• Like 1

Larry

All buttoned up.  Just need a warm day to open the door and give it a test.

All never seized up.  Put a touch of high heat paint on it.  Not sure how long that will last?

IMG_20230110_193317147.jpg

Looking good.   Went together with a nice firm snap of the seal rings.  There were slight wear marks in the mating parts but that won't hurt anything.

IMG_20230110_194553171.jpg

A nice simple project.

• Like 1

Larry

11 hours ago, Full Floater said:

Sort of off topic, but what model turbo is that?

Have to get number for you.  Stock turbo that was on it.  I did have bearings/seal put in it a few years ago, just because it was inexpensive and something I won't have to worry about for awhile.

Larry