Mp8 Head torque spec

steeler

Since Mack apparently doesn't make actual repair manuals anymore... 😡 

Looking for the torque spec for a 2019 mp8. Also I notice the 8 doesn't have dowel pins for the head?? Anything I should need to know about that? Or just slap some silicone on the timing plate, set the head, draw it back and torque it? 

Thanks for any help! 

there is washers at the left front and rear corner of the block deck that is used as a stop and aligner.. It is crucial that the head is tucked into that corner..   I was looking for the book I printed, but havent found it yet..  Please dont just go puttin the head on before reading about placement..  improper placement will affect the gear train in a bad way..  I will keep looking.   jojo

I found my book..  Here are a few important pages..  There are only 3 steps,  stick with the torque sequence on each step.. I can try to send more pics,,   jojo

KIMG1505.JPG

KIMG1506.JPG

KIMG1507.JPG

KIMG1508.JPG

Thanks Joey, I can see it. I figured the washers were to align the head, but I want to make sure I wasn't missing something. No fear with the gear train, I've done several mp7s, but they are dowel so this thru me off a little. First head I've ever seen on any engine I've rebuilt that didn't have dowels! And that's pretty much every engine under the hood of a truck for the last 25 years lol. 

We purchased impact to get this info, but for whatever reason Mack hasn't sent the login info yet and I'd like to go ahead and get this head set. 

There is a rubber seal on these at the gear plate, not replaceable. It still seems intact, do you add silicone around it for good measure? 

yes to silicone..    It's been 5 years or so since I built an MP-8 or a head job and so-on..  That is why I looked for the book I printed from Impact..  I may not be the best source for answers, just pictures of pages from the book..  I see you have many years of knowledge, so you probably only need the little differences these have from what you now how to do..  I will try to help, but I need to keep it light, so I dont give you wrong answers..  jojo

https://macktrucks.vg-emedia.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=6246&GroupId=-1       Click on view file . It’s the engine manual for the 2008 and 2009 MP8. This was the last of the paper manual for the MP engines.  Not much has changed till the common rail came out. The injector torque and the rocker arm torque did change though. I believe they came out with a new design timing gear plate with gasket instead of silicone sealant. There is big difference between the MP8 and MP7’s when setting up the gear train in the rear of the engine. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Thank you guys so much! This is the best place for reliable info, and I try to share a little knowledge here and there when I can. I've been to Chicago a few times for training, once back in 07 or 08 for the mp engines, but didn't ever end up digging into them deep on my own til several years later. By then I had pretty much forgotten most of what I learned lol. And it wasn't like the old days (90's) when I left with stacks of manuals! 

Mack sure didn't have a problem taking $1500 bucks for impact, but they sure aren't any help getting me the login info! Talked to 3 different people at support and got nowhere. I'll try them again Monday morning. 

Thanks again! 

Edited by steeler
  • Like 2