Power divider with air locker install

Ladybug1969

Lightly grease the peanuts, inside and out...  Push all the peanuts from the inside to the out position,. The as you SLOWLY insert the inner cam , rotate the yoke slowly and it will go right on..  I believe the inner cam is in backwards. The oil grooves go to the cam drum nut..  Jojo

• Like 2

What Jojo said....or ??? take the through shaft out from the back !!! PAY ATTENTION TO THE CLOCKING OF THE OIL TROUGH !!!  then put the inner cam in the power divider unit. Bolt it to the carrier  ( don't forget air shift goes about 7 o'clock looking at it )  then put through shaft back in. Might be easier if you're not familiar with them. That power divider is a little heavy to finesse in there without some frustration.

• Like 1

Oil grooves on the inner cam are against the outer cam/drum nut(facing the rear end per my dude here).

So, leave the inner cam on the through shaft, grease the peanuts so they  don't fall back in when rotating. I'll just have to move them slightly to get past that leading splined edge of the outer cam/drum.

• Like 1

Finally got it in the next evening.  And yes, it was a royal pain in the butt.  Pretty much a hunt and feel operation.  We did it with the inner cam inside the peanut shaft as mentioned above. Not a job I ever wanna repeat.

I do have another question.  When we pulled the outer cage, there were 2 spacers behind it. One 5/16 inch thick and the other I would guess to be 3/8 -ish. What's the purpose of these because neither show on either a Mack or PAI diagram(got Mack dealer to print me one)?. We found the smaller spacer by the part number stamped on it(is described as a cam cage spacer) but neither are shown or listed when you pull up the diagram. The only spacers found were between yokes and seals(coincidentally same size as the small one with different part number) part 62 in this Mack graphic

IMG_0259.jpg

Those are measured shims. the number on the side is the part group + the shim thickness in thousanth's of an inch..  Extremely important for proper bearing pre-load..  Which for re-used bearings is 2-5 lbft,  and for new bearings, it is 3-6 lbft..  Did you replace the outer cam drum? jojo

Jojo, everything in it got replaced except the shaft the peanuts go in. Those with the retaining rings got changed, and the bearings. A mack mechanic rebuilt that section for me.   When it was disassembled, those 2 spacers were behind the outer cage/drum, and a 3rd(5/16th thickness) was inside against inner cam. Part number was 77KH219. I can google that part all day but I cannot find it in any diagram, nor do I see those 2 we found behind the cage. I don't know the part number on the larger spacer