Cylinder pressure out intake port

ChallengeDave

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

and in case you're kick'n it old school

avoid some guess work

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny you posted this ! I recently had to fab up a similar test tool to check a perkins for head gasket issue wouldn't start blowing black smoke bla bla! The story is to long to explain! Anyway its a valuable tool if you have time to make it ! Or time to wait to buy one! In this case Dave did what he had to do to nail down the issue! and undeniably  proved out the valve not sealing by removing the intake and running it! The Jake is a vague possibility But until the engine is up and running again we won't know! Next week will tell the tale in my mind!😅

IMG_20221202_124823595.jpg

6 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I like my snap-on camera as well.  its 3 feet long. it will take snapshots also..  Pricy, but valuable...  jojo

Saves a lot of headaches sometimes.  Some stuff you need to kinda know what to look for but I'd buy another one in a second after having one.

Yes sir..   I need to get another compression tester.  I dont do engine diag. anymore, ( accept for here at BMT).  or at least I try..  :)  But i'm sure one will come along one day..  i like that you have the hold down bar for E-6 injectors..  

43 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I pulled a "Mechohalic"   I went off topic...   :) 

Yup all good ! 😁 I didn't manage to snag a camera before I retired 😔 Oh well them diagnostic days are over right? we got computers now they solve everything! 🙄

8 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Yeah,  Computers,,,  That's the ticket..   No need to; look/listen/hear/feel/or smell??? anymore, just change the part listed on the screen...  :) 

Yup sorry ! sold that yesterday ! I am not missing hearing that  excuse !

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Yeah,  Computers,,,  That's the ticket..   No need to; look/listen/hear/feel/or smell??? anymore, just change the part listed on the screen...  :) 

Still need to isolate, replicate and verify. Just firing the parts cannon is an awful way to wrench.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alright guys, minor update that everyone has been waiting for. Machine shop got back to me yesterday and told me the intake valves were hammered. So they disassembled the rest and found that the guides and on the intake and exhaust valves on all three has considerable wear. I did not know this, but they only replaced the exhaust valves , not the intakes. According to them, they didn't need to be replaced, so i guess they just resurfaced the intake side. I do trust these guys for the most part. Been dealing with them for years and have never once have a problem. They are doing some more research and investigating on their end as far as the parts that are in these heads(remember, they were 350 cores). They were worried that maybe this engine was turned up quite a bit can caused the very fast wear. All i had done to it was spec it out to 427(vmac). I may be missing some more details on what they told me(I have the memory of a goldfish). Now I am working on pulling off the second head, because more then likely, its in a rough state as well. Been super busy between this, rebuilding a Liebherr engine, Cat axle rebuild, and running the shop. So its been a slow process figuring this one out. Ill feed you guys some more once I can. Thanks again everyone!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ChallengeDave said:

Alright guys, minor update that everyone has been waiting for. Machine shop got back to me yesterday and told me the intake valves were hammered. So they disassembled the rest and found that the guides and on the intake and exhaust valves on all three has considerable wear. I did not know this, but they only replaced the exhaust valves , not the intakes. According to them, they didn't need to be replaced, so i guess they just resurfaced the intake side. I do trust these guys for the most part. Been dealing with them for years and have never once have a problem. They are doing some more research and investigating on their end as far as the parts that are in these heads(remember, they were 350 cores). They were worried that maybe this engine was turned up quite a bit can caused the very fast wear. All i had done to it was spec it out to 427(vmac). I may be missing some more details on what they told me(I have the memory of a goldfish). Now I am working on pulling off the second head, because more then likely, its in a rough state as well. Been super busy between this, rebuilding a Liebherr engine, Cat axle rebuild, and running the shop. So its been a slow process figuring this one out. Ill feed you guys some more once I can. Thanks again everyone!

rebuilding a Liebherr engine lucky you! Thanx for posting! I m glad they fessed up or partly! The chances of the engine being cranked up are remote in my mind(  Buck Pass)  !how ever if you paid for rebuilt heads the first time that's what you should get! just sayin! this puts all of our speculation to bed ! Nice find!

• Like 1

Just a honorable mention!  When you get the heads back Make sure you set the yokes correctly . In my opinion ,There is know reason why valve guides should wear quickly on a four valve engine at any horse power unless the yokes are ill set! There is very little side thrust on these! And if your Machine shop provides you with some parts miss match of valve guides and valves between the 350 and 427 I for one and likely others here (Joey 😅) would like to know about it!

Thanx

just sayin!

• Haha 1

Very true, FJH..  yoke setting is crucial, and I have seen it overlooked many times.. I have also replace guide pins for that reason.. With the Jake heads on, patience is very important during valve adjustment..  with rockers off,,,. It's a breeze..  Jojo

So after further conversations with the machine shop, they came to the conclusion that this thing has been running hot. By that they mean the combustion temperature is too hot. I didn't get a report from my driver as far as high egt or boost issues. Ill double check timing to make sure thats not affecting anything. Seems a bit odd to me, dont know if i buy it. maybe one thing could be that this has the smaller charge air cooler on it. This is a 95 Ch that came with a 350. I dont know if the 427 came with a larger cooler. What do you guys think?

30 minutes ago, ChallengeDave said:

So after further conversations with the machine shop, they came to the conclusion that this thing has been running hot. By that they mean the combustion temperature is too hot. I didn't get a report from my driver as far as high egt or boost issues. Ill double check timing to make sure thats not affecting anything. Seems a bit odd to me, dont know if i buy it. maybe one thing could be that this has the smaller charge air cooler on it. This is a 95 Ch that came with a 350. I dont know if the 427 came with a larger cooler. What do you guys think?

I think if your heads are acceptable cores ???? get two new heads and 6 new bolts for the Jakes

1 hour ago, ChallengeDave said:

I don't remember if there is an off set key for that motor It may be possible may be Mack pro Or joey has this answer! Yup check the initial timing for sure! Does the truck have a boost gauge and a pyro gauge ! Hesitate to give an answer with out evidence! At this point like I said before they don't want to look like the bad guys here! I  think the buck pass is going on! I know you have to change the cam key for some horse power changes ! (Mack pro)   The gauges won't lie!! Once you get it fired again and run it if the pyro is over 1000-1200 on a pull and the boost is low say 25 then you could have boost leaks or if the wrong key is installed it may cause an issue as well! Also I can see issues with heat on the exhaust not the intake! Just my thought! need to get her fixed just get on with it and fight if need be later!

8 minutes ago, Mark T said:

There's some difference with the cam. I know the Jake setting is different and if the truck has no muffler the engine brakes sound different .   but what is it 🤔

Ya they bumped the jake set to 21 at one point not sure why? they started out at 15 in the begining! that tells me the valve opens 6 thou less different sound! maybe!

I know without a muffler, the 350s sounded a lot cooler (lol    for whatever that's worth) the 427s didn't sound like that.  Something is different with the cam . So maybe there was something overlooked during the HP increase ???  There really ids no way to measure the heat in there where the action is....and even with a pyro it's measuring  the heat after the energy of it is spent on the turbo. Those heads are probably both on barrowed time at best  if it happened after running it a while.

Edited by Mark T
more information