Turbo Swap VGT delete MP10

ltamikey
Go to solution Solved by ltamikey,

Hello, I am trying to delete SCR/DPF/DEF/ EGR on a MP10. Once everything has been removed and new tune put in, I am getting a popping noise with puffs of white smoke every time it hits 1600 rpm. If you lug the truck around 1000-1200 rpm get a small amount of black smoke and runs great, then becomes sluggish from 12-1600 while losing boost down to 15 psi, then at 1600 starts its "popping, sputtering" noises. I have pulled the head and replace jake controller but everything else looks great. at complete loss here. starting to thing its a VGT issue and would like to replace with wastegate turbo but that is not seeming possible. Anyone have any ideas?

It's a programming issue. If you get rid of vgt your engine brake won't work very well. What year is your truck? 2015 and newer are obd2 and they are more complicated to delete. Mines a 2015 and all is deleted but egr. I guess that's a trickier tune. The only trouble I have is egr coolers keep cracking. We figure it is from the weak mounting setup.  The next leaky cooler is getting welded shut and ecm will be sent in for a tune. 

The truck in question is a 2013 Mack TD mp10.  We did notice today while running a VGT function test that the EGR valve (which is removed and blocked) is at a constant 39%. We were having plugged DPF/SCR problems due to high idle times in our off road oilfield setting. So we decided to delete and have headaches since. It seems that we are not getting enough air to burn the fuel as we get a heavy raw fuel smell from the exhaust. No active codes at all. VGT opens to around 65% with heavy throttle/ parked.  This seems to be the same as other trucks that we have not deleted. 

is the VEBC acting up?  I see smoke along with the fluttering, and if was an ASET, I would suspect a bad engine brake oring..   I dont know, just a thought,, the video is good just too short..   Jojo

Thanks Joey, This was our thoughts at first as well. We have put 2 new controllers on and pulled the head just to cross that off the list, to no avail. Sorry for the short video, Had to trim to upload. I have a new turbo on the way. The thinking is, since the delete was performed because of the extremely plugged DPF SCR system, that the VGT may also have some plugged up veins not allowing enough air through. It should be here today and We will try it out. We also noticed yesterday that even though the egr is completely removed and blocked off, the computer show it open to 39%. Curious if the open EGR valve condition would change the VGT output...

the viens in the turbo dump exhaust to reduce boost..  air intake is not metered.  the exhaust flow controls the boost pressure, by spinning the turbo faster using exhaust pressure to create intake air pressure..  a bad egr can cause the puffing you have.  I have seen this same issue many times with Series 60 14 ltr Detroit's..  jojo

The EGR hase been removed, blocked plates on both ends and supposedly tuned out of the system. We found a guy with an MP8 deleted the same way and it was running good so we got his tuner's info and used him,  assuming the tune would be good. PTT still shows the EGR is 39% open even though its laying on the floor. 

ok, I understand now..  But I have no experience with deletes..  I have reversed a couple of them, but never deleted one.. I will just set back and see what others post on this issue.  If I have an idea or info, I will come back in..   Jojo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

ok, I understand now..  But I have no experience with deletes..  I have reversed a couple of them, but never deleted one.. I will just set back and see what others post on this issue.  If I have an idea or info, I will come back in..   Jojo

Me too ! 🤣 That said the vgt could be sticking not uncommon even when not deleted! remove the control motor and check if the control rack is moving smoothly! DON'T break the bolts! 😅

• Haha 1

Got the new turbo and VGT controller installed. Still having the same issues. Raw fuel, white smoke, and wont rev past 1600 rpm before it acts like cylinders are full of fuel and starts to pop and shake... Is it possible to turn the injectors fuel output down? I think we may try to see how much fuel is being pushed into the injectors, not sure how much fuel there should be going through to tell if its too much. 

12 minutes ago, ltamikey said:

Got the new turbo and VGT controller installed. Still having the same issues. Raw fuel, white smoke, and wont rev past 1600 rpm before it acts like cylinders are full of fuel and starts to pop and shake... Is it possible to turn the injectors fuel output down? I think we may try to see how much fuel is being pushed into the injectors, not sure how much fuel there should be going through to tell if its too much. 

7th injector still hooked up? engine brake valve sticking? half stuck? just shit to think on! If the engine brake is full stuck the engine will start then die a soon as oil pressure is established ! If its part on will run rough and still be fueling! smoke! we had these valves faulty right out of the box ! 

Just sayin!

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

the head was off,  is the cam timed correctly?  

Joe you would think it would be throwing a code if the cam was off a tooth at least that’s what our guys experienced! I think he pulled the valve cover replaced the the brake valve! Milkman is likely on to it the delete program is likely causing an issue!

yes sir..   Just tossing out some thoughts..  I know these MP's are sensitive to any  repairs,  and then you have t do a 'learn data reset' and update the software in the ECU.... Yes, codes should be present..   It hurts to see all the money being spent and the problem still exists.  I wonder if he was able to calibrate the VGT actuator for the new turbo, even though it came with one, didnt we have to remove it and set it with that little plastic gauge,?  jojo 

• Like 1

OK... head, cam, valvetrain all been out and looks great. Today, we learned that when we took it to the dealer in april 2021, dpf was plugged and injectors were needed. DPF parts were 9+months out so we did the delete. Dealer put in new injectors, but for the next emission level. Injectors were for a US14 emission and ours is US10. Headed in for the correct injectors, hopefully this is the cure.

Yes 'V' my first thought was a sticking engine brake or a bad VEBC..  I was not sure about the turbo affecting it while  idling.  What is your thoughts on the turbo affecting it at idle, since the turbo is not working at that time..  please correct me if I'm wrong..   jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..

If the turbo is closed then too much exhaust back pressure is building up and you don't have enough exhaust scavenging. That will cause the engine not to run smoothly. It will always be under load. 

I would remove the actuator and move the lever while the engine is running. If it clears up when the turbo is open then the issue can be with the tune or the turbo. I don't know, just a guy thinking out loud. 

V

• Like 2