Mack trans weights

2 hours ago, steve s. said:

The Quadruplex weighs 815 pounds.

Thx- reason I'm asking  not Mack related but Ford is going to start offering the 10 speed auto used in F-550-and I think F-600, in the 650/750 Power Strokes.  You can get a 750 with a 37,000 GVW.  In questioning the durability of the 10 speed as it doesn't weigh much more than the  6 speed currently used, I'm thinking 4 more speeds, how does it NOT weigh substantially more -as in Mack  Duplex/Triplex/Quad.

Answer I'm told is the Ford 10speed makes use of planetary gear sets- the Ravigneaux concept, which I never heard of.

The Mack two sticks?? Just a lot more iron i'm sure.

On 9/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, Freightrain said:

I always wondered if they didn't count a lock up converter as a "gear"?  Or at least 1/2 gears?  1, 1 lock up, 2 , 2 lock up, etc.

That's the way the Euclid dump trucks I used to drive worked!

Most of these newer automatics use combinations of clutches and brakes to get different ratios through the planetary sets.  Lots of weird goings-on in there.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

4 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

That's the way the Euclid dump trucks I used to drive worked!

Most of these newer automatics use combinations of clutches and brakes to get different ratios through the planetary sets.  Lots of weird goings-on in there.

Planetary sets I'm told is how Ford gets 4 more speeds out of what looks like the same case.  Google "Ravigneaux" That is what concept is.