bobhsh

bobhsh

Question

Hello, i have a cracked left side frame rail,(double frame rail)has anyone tried removing frame rail and replacing with newer GU thicker single frame rail .i know it will take some drilling ,mod,and a lot of work, but willing, new frame rail from mack is about 6wks to get. thx, Bob  

5 answers to this question

location of crack seems important;; yes ?  double rail weld done by professional should be safe and legal  depending on location of crack. a rail replacement with the exact rail is a challenge ( i've been there); changing rail style good drill and bits;;  a lot of drilling 

• Like 1

I've pulled rails out of a few trucks over the years. Are you talking Rust Jacking horizontal cracks along the flanges or are you talking a vertical crack? Or a stress crack from how the dump body rests on the frame just behind the cab?

To remove rail, you have to remove truck body, then block and support everything along the side you're removing. Axles, transmission, front engine crossmember, radiator, can, etc. Fuel tank comes off, battery boxes come off, lift axle comes off, hood comes off, tires off, etc. Unbolt everything. Slide an A-Frame or crane boom over the truck, hook the rail, and expect there to still be something attached.  Ensure it's entirely free and slide it out the back.  

Double Rail can be separated with time and patience by driving a 2x4 in from the rear end of the frame. But sounds like you're into rail replacement depending on how bad the cracks are. Mack Frame Repair Manuals outline how weld and repair rails.

If it's Rust Jacking then you're supposed to do this repair before it gets that bad.  You get a rail out, separate, sandblast/paint, slap it back in and the do the other side. One side holds alignment while you do the other side.

Our most recent project involved all of the above and then some to prep it for a brand new CemenTech concrete mixer.

KIMG0556.JPG

KIMG0553.JPG

KIMG0746.JPG

• Like 1
  • Like 1