Common rail mp8 valve adjustment

steeler

Camshaft marking will be 5/PE6 , 3/PE2, 6/PE4, 2/E1, 4/E5 and 1/E3.  On 5/PE6 you do intake valve on #5 then  #6pump(injector ) and #6 exhaust . On 2/E1 you do #2 intake and exhaust on #1. If your lucky the marks are stamped on the camshaft. The 2022 I did this morning, the marks were laser etched and almost impossible to read 

20 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

Camshaft marking will be 5/PE6 , 3/PE2, 6/PE4, 2/E1, 4/E5 and 1/E3.  On 5/PE6 you do intake valve on #5 then  #6pump(injector ) and #6 exhaust . On 2/E1 you do #2 intake and exhaust on #1. If your lucky the marks are stamped on the camshaft. The 2022 I did this morning, the marks were laser etched and almost impossible to read 

Yet a another brain dead Volvo move!😡

2 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

My question is what did a 2022 need already?

This truck runs almost 24 hours a day short haul/ farm related. Already 137,00 miles , routine maintenance. It’s listed as a 22 but we got it a little more than a year ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steeler said:

Thank you sir. These are etched as well! 

Good work Volvo. Not! 

I use a Bluetooth snake camera looking at my camshaft marks . I can zoom in on my phone while turning the engine over to see the marks. Works great. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

I use a Bluetooth snake camera looking at my camshaft marks . I can zoom in on my phone while turning the engine over to see the marks. Works great. 

I just use an old fashioned magnifying glass lol. My eyes suck these days anyway. 

This one had a miss on number 4,good compression, no electrical faults. So I'm replacing number 4 injector and hoping for the best. I'd be 100% confident on the older mp's, but still learning the common rail ones. 

wow, that is amazing..  before common rail came around, , I used a very long 3/8" extension that I welded together, and a swivel at the end with the barring tool on it wrapped in electrical tape to keep it in place plus a wrap of electrical tape around the extention where it goes right by the starter, so I dont arc off it..  and it goes all the way up front, so I can roll the engine and see the marks on the front of the cam..  I literally, stayed right there in one place, and I placed magnets on the engine to hold my feeler gauges and wrenches..  of course my set up is crude, but if my phone battery dies, I can still finish running the rack,,, :)   jojo

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

wow, that is amazing..  before common rail came around, , I used a very long 3/8" extension that I welded together, and a swivel at the end with the barring tool on it wrapped in electrical tape to keep it in place plus a wrap of electrical tape around the extention where it goes right by the starter, so I dont arc off it..  and it goes all the way up front, so I can roll the engine and see the marks on the front of the cam..  I literally, stayed right there in one place, and I placed magnets on the engine to hold my feeler gauges and wrenches..  of course my set up is crude, but if my phone battery dies, I can still finish running the rack,,, :)   jojo

😂 That's awesome. I mean how dumb is it that we need 2 people to run the valves? Luckily I always have somebody who's more than willing to take a nap under the truck for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The bad thing about the common rail valve adjustment is the fuel rail is in the way and I had to buy new straight feeler guages  to go under the fuel rail to reach some of the valves. The clearance’s on the MP8 common rail are the same as the old MP8’s though.  I’ve been told that on the common rails that MP7 and MP8 uses the same pumper and non-pumper injectors. The injector cup is still the same part number but they redesigned the injector hold down yoke and went back to the shorter hold down bolt that the very early MP engines used. The one I had apart today already had the EPRV electronic pressure relief valve  delete done at the factory. All of our older common rails had to have the EPRV delete done at the dealership usually around the 100,000- 200,000 mile mark . 

Man I'm glad I got out of the Dealership when I did... I dont have patience for the B.S.  in these new engines..  I would like to think that building them would create better mechanic's,  but.....   anyway...  glad im away from Volvo's... jojo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Man I'm glad I got out of the Dealership when I did... I dont have patience for the B.S.  in these new engines..  I would like to think that building them would create better mechanic's,  but.....   anyway...  glad im away from Volvo's... jojo

I'll tell ya, I'm about over it. Too young to retire, don't know how to do anything else and make anywhere near the money. But damn I miss working on an aset most of the time. Now it's mainly mp' s, cummins, paccar (pure junk) and international. 

I remember when the etech came out thinking how complicated it was 😂 

Those were the days! 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I left the dealership and now only work on MP equipped truck but at least it’s fleet maintenance. We buy the max extended warranty on every part of the truck we can. It has saved the company lots of money. Surprisingly, the  extended chassis warranty has helped out more than I ever thought it would. Getting little things like turn signal switches , HVAC components, dash clusters , seat belts, am/fm radios , wiring harnesses and door control panels covered out to 4 years did make it worth it. 

8 hours ago, Mackpro said:

I left the dealership and now only work on MP equipped truck but at least it’s fleet maintenance. We buy the max extended warranty on every part of the truck we can. It has saved the company lots of money. Surprisingly, the  extended chassis warranty has helped out more than I ever thought it would. Getting little things like turn signal switches , HVAC components, dash clusters , seat belts, am/fm radios , wiring harnesses and door control panels covered out to 4 years did make it worth it. 

Its a shame the extra dollars has to go to some type of insurance ! Instead of building a decent part that doesn't fail in the first place! Just criminal in my mind! Unfortunately EVERTHING has gone this way ! Waste full throw away mentality !

• Like 1