air ride conversion

Tinman22

Well almsot 3 months back to work and things are going pretty good. 

I have been trying to figure out what the easiest air ride swap  I can use that will accept 50k axles and 5.02 gears. 

I don't have the time to go to the salvage yard and measure rear cuts and searching the internet isn't yielding  much. 

I have been loading heavy to the rear and keeping the drives around 36-39k but its putting 60-70k on the trailer. My permit wants 23k per drive for 46k and 18k per trailer axle. (I know seems odd to me too.) that's why i want a 50k set for the rears

Any thoughts would really help. 

Edited by Tinman22

I'd be looking for a big NeWay . The big one with the adaptors for the housings like in a camelback and the big giant nuts on the back of the trailing arms where the cross brace is.  (I'm sure there's a name for this)  Pretty robust suspension .

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just replaced the 'Z' springs on a CXN last week..  Repairing that suspension is easy on your back, but not so easy on your wallet...  definately keep the u-bolts tight..  during a walk around, you can hit them with a hammer... if they ring out, they are tight,  if they 'thud' they are loose..  just a quick way to stay on top of them ... jojo

• Like 1

Our V8 Valueliner was built with the Neway's and is rated at 80 tons payload, worked to pull heavy low loader trailers. Our B 75 has same Neway - which came off a Canadian V8 Superliner that was a cattle truck, after all the cattle piss for many years the Neway steel was very good after we sand blasted all the frame.

If the budd hubs are close in year range they should..   I know you know, but when you strip them off slide one on the new spindle and torque it down..  I bet it fits...  I have converted a handfull of them and have had ease in getting bearings and wheel seals..   I wouldnt be surprised if they are the same.. jojo

They are both 85 r models. Im not sure about a direct swap though. my current set are an ss34 in the rear and an ss38 front factory original. 

Everything I looked at says 34's have a bigger bearing than the 38's but funny enough mine are some weird bearing in between big and small.

If it were easy everybody would do it. Heck i'm still hunting a front crossmember to put an e7 in it! I can't even find a picture of one.

I get it... I was grabbing at optomistic straws...  anyway,,  it's not hard to do..  Now I wish I wrote down all the part numbers when I did a B-model and 3 RW's..  a year and a half ago..   Many others here can probably tell you what you need better than me, at this point..  jojo

On 12/17/2022 at 5:15 PM, Tinman22 said:

They are both 85 r models. Im not sure about a direct swap though. my current set are an ss34 in the rear and an ss38 front factory original. 

Everything I looked at says 34's have a bigger bearing than the 38's but funny enough mine are some weird bearing in between big and small.

If it were easy everybody would do it. Heck i'm still hunting a front crossmember to put an e7 in it! I can't even find a picture of one.

You won't need a front cross member, just the E7 motor mount. If you are able to find a parts man that gives a shit they can look up someone's vin from an r with an E7

here are 2 RD vin.'s .   RD 690 S/ 023858....   RD 690 S/  023859..  '96 model year..   I took care of these 2 trucks for 8 years..  Good luck ,,,  Jojo

MERRY   KWANZAHANAMAS...  🍻

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 2:59 PM, Sk1981 said:

Have 1981 super Liner with the neway air ride. If the axle are 8 hole they are 38000#. Bags look taller in picture then mine do. Never could figure out how heavy axles I have. Thanks 

We have the same Neway air ride, when I ordered new airbags  I was informed the airbags are 1 standard size for this Neway airbag suspension.